carrots and/or corn as bait

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bullfood

carrots and/or corn as bait

Post by bullfood »

The cattle are leaving this weekend so now we can bait. Our set up is in a mixed bush, swamp ,meadows and 50 acre fields w/no crops anywhere near. The deer have the option of using many different routes and we have a hard time patterning them as they change in different weather, time of year and the new issue of a 5' fence impeding their access between our area and the neighbour who now also hunts.
In the past ,using corn in tube feeders worked well to draw the does in and as expected the boys would sometimes follow.
I have access to horse grade carrots as well as corn and wonder if anyone has luck w/carrots which we can combine w/corn. We are in gravel country north east of Lindsay Ontario
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
zman

Re: carrots and/or corn as bait

Post by zman »

I have used both carrots and corn but it seems the carrots were always the last to go , never really liked them, buy your self some apples and you will be happy , apples and corn is a great mix, they can smell the apples a good distance away, just remember don't touch any of the food with your bare hands
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

May be good, have seen where they actually tried to dig frozen in carrots from the ground. Good luck But baiting is a big no no here, even deer blocks with food particles like acorns embedded are considered baiting. Salt or mineral blocks only.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

Cossack wrote:May be good, have seen where they actually tried to dig frozen in carrots from the ground. Good luck But baiting is a big no no here, even deer blocks with food particles like acorns embedded are considered baiting. Salt or mineral blocks only.
Not allowed ANYTHING in PA that is not natural (doe urine, buck lure is ok). You can hunt cornfields, food plots, apple orchards, etc. Any type of attractant that you put out (feeders, mineral blocks, etc.) must be removed and NO traces of it 30 days prior to the start of the season,
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

The deer around where I hunt are eating the corn like it's going out of style!
I put down carrots a few times and they sat there untouched and rotted.
They do gobble up the apples when I put them down though.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
secret

Post by secret »

Cant help you here.!!!!!...... In Pa you have to "HUNT" your deer!v. , hunt·ed , hunt·ing , hunts . v.tr. To pursue (game) for food or sport. To search through (an area) for prey: hunted the ridges
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
bullfood

Post by bullfood »

secret wrote:Cant help you here.!!!!!...... In Pa you have to "HUNT" your deer!v. , hunt·ed , hunt·ing , hunts . v.tr. To pursue (game) for food or sport. To search through (an area) for prey: hunted the ridges
I've witnessed your deer populations as apposed to our 'wild' deer.
We see few and don't have the advantage of corn fields etc as "bait'
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
ch312

Post by ch312 »

secret wrote:Cant help you here.!!!!!...... In Pa you have to "HUNT" your deer!v. , hunt·ed , hunt·ing , hunts . v.tr. To pursue (game) for food or sport. To search through (an area) for prey: hunted the ridges
going by that logic, using ANY attractant would not be considered hunting anymore as you are using an attractant to lure the game to you for a shot. this would include scents, calls, rattling, bait, etc.

using bait is no different than using scent as under both circumstances you are convincing the deer to visit a certain area that puts the odds in your favor.
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

I'm not far from you bullfood. I've tried carrots without success. Late in the rifle season we mixed some corn with carrots and both are now gone, but I'm not sure it was deer or bears that ate the carrots. Corn works, but be prepared to use lots of it. The raccoons, blue jays and bears love it too. Apples also work very well.
I shot a very nice 10 point this year near the bait site, but he didn't stop to eat. He was looking for some does that had visited earlier, I'm guessing.
Last edited by Norlander on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Corn is the only thing that has worked for me.
Deer in my area (agricultural) know what corn is - and they like it!
Apples, carrots, pumpkins, etc. just lay until they rot. :roll:

The only exception is pawpaws and persimmons from my trees in my yard, they also have them available in the wild around here and know they're edible. :lol:
wabi
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

This is the first year I have used feeders and I just used them for trail cams so my experience is very limited but for me they seemed to really like grains more than anything else. I started out feeding scratch feed (corn, wheat & barley) with good success but when I switched to straight oats the activity went up dramatically, they hammered those feeders. The coons were a problem for sure but @ $8 for 50lbs of oats I wasn't too worried about it. (until I started going through 4 bags/feeder/week, then it became a bit of an issue)
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
peter p

Post by peter p »

I've used carrots and they work better when it gets cold out so they won't rot.
The deer eat them frozen and love them.
Right about now is a good time to put them out. But they wont touch them for about 2 weeks for some reason.
You cant go wrong with 10 bucks for 1000 lbs of carrots .
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have used corn for bait here in Ont and have had some deer come in, carrots have been left untouched. Carrots, sugar beets and corn worked great in Michigan when it was still legal to bait. it seems that the deer here did not know they could eat them.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

We can't use any bait of any kind here in IL. Although mineral blocks are also illegal, I put one out in the spring near my house. Shhhh! :wink: The bucks use it heavy from early spring until about August and I get lots of nice pics with my trail cam of bucks in velvet. My theory is they need the extra minerals in the spring and summer to grow their antlers. I use the dark reddish colored mineral block and the bucks are on it heaviest in June and July. No help for hunting season but great for getting pics of what's around. Gary
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

no agriculture at all around me...corn, oats, pumpkins carrots, apples but what they prefer changes as the season goes on ...i'd say their fave this season is pumpkins as the cold hits they love the corn ..