heart recipes?(deer pic added)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

heart recipes?(deer pic added)

Post by one shot scott »

Anyone have some good ones that they are willing to share? Its a first for me, i will try anything once :wink: I like the idea of using as much of the animal as possible.
Last edited by one shot scott on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hikerman

Re: heart recipes?

Post by hikerman »

Dice up fry with oinions and garlic.

The hart is one of the toughest mussels. Needs to be cooked longer than normal. So I have heard.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
catcher

Post by catcher »

I have had stuffed heart before with bread dressing. Cooked and let cool and sliced very thin and it was very tasty, but I did not cook it , it was prepared for me at a hunt camp I used to go too.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
tsbyars

Post by tsbyars »

The way I like it is to prepare the following way:
Place in pot that has a cover and add enough water to completely cover it. Add about 4tbs salt, 2 onions cut into quarters, 4 or 5 garlic cloves split, and a pod or two of hot peppers (leave out if you don't like). Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and place the lid on. Let simmer for about 3 hours. Turn heat off and let it cool in the broth. Take it out of the broth and place in the fridge to cool. Slice thin and make sandwich's with whatever you like on them.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

as with other tough cuts of meat the heart needs moist heat and lower temps for a tender meal. slice 1/2" thick, sear, add your liquid, and simmer. its also very good when stuffed and put in a slow cooker for the day.

mine turned out great last weekend :D
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

When fork tender remove from the oven and allow to cool before chopping it up and feeding to the dog..

:lol: :lol: LOL!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Have made some delicious chop sue using hear. Strip it, flour and season, fry of.
Simmer until tender in beef broth before adding vegis, canned bamboo shoots. Thicken with corn starch dissolved in cold water, soy sauce. I'd give your the recipe but I make things up as I cook, seldom the same.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Um, what heart? Is there something your not telling us? :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

I tryed it last year....

Stuffed with bread stuffing and slow roasted for a long time. Came out as tender as a tendeloin, but tasted like liver. I ate it, but not exactly something I would ever crave.

Good luck..
Wouldn't be hunting...if you got them all the time!
lscha

Post by lscha »

We celebrate every kill with the heart and the inner loin. I always slice it thin, dust it with Fry Magic, and fry it quick and hot in olive oil and butter (onions too). If you overcook it=pencil eraser. Undercook it and let it sit for 3 minutes and it will be perfect. So far, I haven't found anyone who didn't take seconds and thirds. Actually, there is never a leftover.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Some real good recipes here to try!
A few that I like the sounds of...too bad I only have one deer heart to cook! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thanks guys for the recipes! so many good ones that I have'nt decided which one to use yet.
Pydpiper wrote:Um, what heart? Is there something your not telling us? :D
Its not my deer, but the next best thing. I have a buddy who I helped get into hunting last year. He started late last season and didnt have any sucess. The same seemed to be true this year so he and I went out this morning on the property I have permission on and I set him up in one of my sweet spots. I used some estrus on the way to the stand(sythetic of course :roll: ) and left him while I set up in a different spot. Sure enough a buck came out of the woods at 30 yards infront of him and was on the scent trail. He at first could not get a shot but when the buck circled back it paused just long enough at 20 yards for him to get a shot. I could hear his bow from where I was, and I thought the obvious! but then I heard a 2nd noise that sounded much like the first?? I know he only had 1 arrow so I dismissed both noises as something other than him firing his equinox. I continued to sit for another hour and when we met up at the 4wheeler he told me he had indeed shot a buck, and the 2nd sound was him crashing.

Heres a pic: One antler was broken, but a decent bodied deer! mmmtasty!
Last edited by one shot scott on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

One of my moose hunting buddies does up moose heart the night of the kill not sure what he does cause after all the beer and Jack Daniels who cares!! everthing goes with Jack :wink: :D I think Laura's is close to the one I eat very good!!
CONGRATS to your friend!!
Last edited by MADMAX2 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The best things in life are not things!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

bugs wrote:This one works great! The first time I made it however .... I didnt realize there was a difference between baler twine and cooking twine, my hubby smelled the linseed oil as soon as he walked in the door and got us a pizza :roll: :lol: :lol:

Stuffed Venison Heart

• 1 venison heart
• salt and pepper
• 4 slices bacon
• 2 cups diced bread - small chunks
• 1/2 cup chopped celery
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 egg, slightly beaten
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon thyme
• 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sage (until you smell it)
• 1 cup beef broth
• 1 bay leaf

1. Wash heart and trim fat, sprinkle inside with salt and pepper.
2. Fry bacon until almost crispy, add bread crumbs, celery, onion, egg, 1/2 tsp salt, thyme, sage and 1/2 tsp pepper.
3. Stuff heart and tie with cooking string or secure with skewers.
4. Place in small roasting pan, cover with broth and add bay leaf.
5. Cover and bake at 325 for 2 1/2 hours.
6. Can be done in a crock pot on low for 8 hours
7. Thicken juices if desired for a light gravy

The crock-pot version sounds like something I might try! :D
wabi
peter p

Post by peter p »

Me and my boys eat the heart from every deer we harvest.
As soon as we get home, my wife cleans it up, cuts into small chunks and fries it in oil and onions.
Doesn't take long to cook and tastes great.