Opinion on Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Opinion on Crossbow

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I have a young hunter that wants a crossbow for a Christmas gift. I have tried to convince his father to buy an Excalibur. But due to his health he is on a small pension and cannot afford an Excalibur. His father was looking to buy a Cobra Re-curve Crossbow with a 150 lb pull, scope, four 14" arrows, 4 target tips, and 4 broad heads and a carrying case. The price is $250.00 plus tax. I told him for that price it was a low end bow. I don't know anything about it. What is your opinion? Is there something safer or better in the same price range or a little bit higher in price? Your assistance will be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Raymond
wabi

Re: Opinion on Crossbow

Post by wabi »

POS - someone's getting rich @ $250.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-150Lbs-Cros ... B002ZVKY1M
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

To me thats throwing away hard earned money! Bad time of yr fer looking used Excal. I would search fer a used Excal brn vixen
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Talk them into an Axiom from Excalibur go to the home page on this site and you can check it out it is the most affordable set up of the Excalibur line you get the bow , quiver ,4 bolts with tips the scope with base and rings for $520 you will have to get a rope cockier separate around $24 better to get something that will last a life time than buy a low end bow use it for a year and then decide you need a better bow you spend a lot more in the long run that way.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

14"bolts!!! He would be better off throwing toothpicks at it. Seek out a brown vixen or Axoim if you got the money.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Before I got sick and had to take time off, I sold Excalibur Crossbows at Carl's Store in Tusket, Nova Scotia. I have him talked out of wasting his money on that Cobra crap. I believe I have him convinced into buying an Excalibur. But I need to find him a second hand bow, his funds are limited. If anyone hears of anything please let me know. His son is 14 years old and wants to hunt with a crossbow.
Thanks,
Raymond
Missin

Post by Missin »

Good choice.

My first bow was a redzone cobra compund, pretty sure there they same thing just compund and recurve. This thing did work but it was also an absolute POS, parts fell off all the time, its heavy as hell and its only plastic.the list goes on. When i got my excal i pretty much blew a load in my pants the first time i shot it. Sure the cobra was accurate enough for kill shots but its nothing like an excal, or any other decent make for that matter. If he is hard up for cash then i would say dont buy a peice of crap and if his son loves it have to spend more money. Wait until his birthday or next xmas and get something decent. And if he buys an excal and doesnt like it, they hold their value quite well.

On another note my local guys is trying to flog that exact same bow for around $500. He was trying to tell me how good it was. It was a good laugh :mrgreen:
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Talked him out of that cobra BS. Good thing LOL.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Raymond, you have a pm. :D
"Eze 18:21"
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Here's an idea. If cash is the issue, have your friend start a crossbow kitty with what he has. Challange the young hunter to work and save for the balance to buy something more apt to make clean kills.

A 14" arrow is going to be wounding tool only. None of us need that kind of publicity.

Yes, we want him to have an Excal for sure, but I'd rather see him get a Barnett Jackal (or something like that)for under 300.00 than get the toy they are considering, or go without.
In the Wind.......
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

They are holding out for an Excalibur. I have talked them into waiting. Thanks for the PM Awshucks. I am letting the dad know, thanks.
Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Raymond
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Drop me an email Raymond. We (NSACH) may have a loaner hanging around and we also may be able help to secure a new crossbow for the young fella.
Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters.

www.nsach.ca
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

NSIan wrote:Drop me an email Raymond. We (NSACH) may have a loaner hanging around and we also may be able help to secure a new crossbow for the young fella.
Now that should put a smile on somebodys face :D . This site's great!!
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

As I've always told my kids, if you can't afford what you really want....save your money. Buy a used Excal if you must, just get the best. Prejudiced? Hardly. I shoot two Excals, and have owned another, plus two compounds. If it came to choosing between the three bows in my bow rooms at this moment....It would be the Vortex. God's gift (and Bill's) to deer chasin' fools like me. :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!