Virginia hunting . . .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Virginia hunting . . .

Post by sumner4991 »

I went up to Virginia for a week of hunting, just got back last night. This has the makings of a long post . . .hopefully, it will not be too boring.

I decided to start the hunting on a 20 acre tract that we cut the timber off a couple of years ago. I had some success at a spot on a ridge line half way up the hillside last year so decided to start at the same spot this year. There is a fence line running up the ridge and the logging operation left a clear cut along the fence. The spot I chose was about 25 yards above a gap in the fence. The deer love to use this gap to cross from a pine bedding area to a stand of large Oak trees on my neighbors property further up the hill.

The day started out like any other with the squirrels making the first noise of the day.

About 7:30 a small doe came through the gap and I let it pass.

As I watched the gap for another deer to cross, about 8 a.m., I looked to my left and there was another doe. This one larger and about 20 yards away on the other side of some briars. It was on a path to cross just in front of me. She kept coming and at 10 yards she pointed her nose straight up and I could see her taking in as much air as her lungs could hold. She was trying to sniff me out. I remained in frozen mode. She looked at me and made a turn down wind and went to my back. I could hear her stomp and give a lite blow, I remained still. She then went back to the trail and walked right past me at 10 feet. :D That was too cool as I sat on a stump. As it walked on by, I turned my head slightly to keep eye contact. Well, BUSTED . . .there was another deer behind me. It snorted and dashed off taking the first one with it. I didn't get a good look at that one.

At 10:30, another doe came through the gap with a smaller doe with her.

I didn't allow her a pass. She was a nice doe and I decided to take her. The smaller one hung around until I ran her off.

Day one, it seemed like I had on the invisible cloak. I was sitting there on the ground taking pictures of deer and shooting them. Deer walking right by me.

Day two was different. Every deer saw me first and I didn't get any pictures. I decided to sit at the same spot. Nothing moving early so I took a picture of this woodpecker that was keeping me awake.

At about 8:30, I looked up and saw my first buck of the week. A nice six pointer that had some good size to him. I had my .270 ready, but, decided to let it pass because it was a young deer. I made a move for my camera and got busted, bigtime. Too bad, that buck raised it's head and when it snorted you could see his breath fly out in the cold air. He sure looked pretty as he dashed into the thicket . . .not to be seen again all week. :) Turned out to be the only buck I would see, alive.

At 10:30, almost like clockwork, another doe made it's way through the gap. Exactly the same as the day before except this one saw me immediately. As she was trying to figure me out, I took the neck shot and dropped her. A smaller doe with her didn't stick around this time.

Two days and two deer . . .both neck shots and dropped within six feet of each other from 25 yards. I was thinking, this is easy. :D My buddy, Bobby, wasn't able to get off work until my last three days of hunting and I was going to limit out before then at this pace.

The next morning I decided to hunt at the farm. On the way in, two does jumped up on this ridge before daylight. They were bedded down and could see me coming for 300 yards.

No deer once I got to the top, but, it sure was nice up there on that ridge. It's easy to see why the deer liked it up there. Sure was a beauty of a sunrise in the making.

At about 8 a.m. a doe and two fawns crossed. I gave them a pass since I was looking for a large buck that had been seen in the area. They turned out to be the only deer I would see all day. Which was fine as I enjoyed the sunset on the same ridge on my way out.

Over the next couple of days, I had very few deer sightings. I did take a small doe on the lower side of a old house place by the creek and another one above the creek. Here is a picture of the old "Molly Place" and the two deer.

For the next four days, I got skunked on the deer. Bobby managed to get a nice spike on the last day we hunted. I was glad to hear his gun go off. The little buck was full of acrons.

Here is a picture of the help I got to clean up the scraps.

And I'll end it with this one of another helper. Looks like he ate the whole thing . . .

We ended up with seven deer, so far. I expect my cousin to connect with his crossbow again before the season ends. Not really a great harvest, we typically do much better.

Sure was fun to hang out with friends and family for a full week and a half. Nothing better than Thanksgiving in the mountains.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Re: Virginia hunting . . .

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a very successful trip.
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations Sumner! Nice pictures and a good read.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Really liked the pics Scott. Sounds like you had a real good time of it. :D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Some great pics there.
Congrats on a great hunting trip! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Great Pictures and Story to go with them.
tat4life

Post by tat4life »

congrats and great pics.... 8)
2010 Equinox,Lumizone,munch mount,munch custom arrows,munch string..Rage 2blade
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wahooooo congrats many times fer taking all those walking vittles
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great story Scott, sure is some beautiful countryside!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Wonderful photos! What a beautiful place to be able to hunt! CONGRATS on the successes!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Thanks for the positive comments.

It was a successful hunt and the time in the woods was much needed. The farm does have some beatuiful views. Growing up there and seeing it every day for several years, I didn't have the appreciation for it then as I do now after moving to the city. I miss it and I can see the beauty I had missed before when it was smack dab in front of my face.

Here is another sunrise on the other side of the farm.

Along with those ridge tops, there comes the steep climbs that make me realize how old I am. I can almost stand upright and touch the hillside as I climb this path.

I failed to include an after picture of the first doe I took. The second doe was actually bigger, but, it doesn't show in the picture.

Here is a picture of my cousin(a proud member here) and Bobby carrying the spike to the skinning area. It must have been heavier than it looked to take those two big boys to carry it. :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Looks like a great time was had! GREAT pictures Sumner! Are you bringing ALL that meat home are does the family divide it out?
Why ride when you can walk!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

groundpounder wrote:Looks like a great time was had! GREAT pictures Sumner! Are you bringing ALL that meat home are does the family divide it out?
I put the first two in the freezer. I cut it up myself. Since I got the deer in the morning, I used the afternoon to cut it up. I simply cut all the meat into cubes for stew. No bone, no fat, no silver skin . . .I try my best to have all lean meat. Makes great stew and a variety of other uses. I can easily grind a package up for burger if I take the notion.

We generally keep one or two for ourselves, then start giving them out to needy families. We only gave away three this year. I gave away two and Bobby gave out the only one he shot. I felt guilty for keeping two, but, I'll use one for myself and will end up giving the rest away, a package at a time.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
catcher

Post by catcher »

Very nice Scott you were really stacking them up there. Good work , looks like you had nice weather. Congrats :D :D
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Very nice read and great pics as always Scott. I especially like the last photo. :D :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.