BH's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

BH's

Post by vixenmaster »

BH's in general, Spitfire or any other model. How severe of an angle will you shoot a game animal ? Its not about if'en a BH can kill or enter its about yer judgement call on the shot ? Think about my statement fer a few seconds, do you as a hunter accept yer actions when you pull the trigger ? Good or bad its always yer choice to shoot! I have killed over 200 tick toters & i don't hate them as bad now as i did when i was young & foolish. I pick my shot or let it walk, its either a clear shot fer me or no shot fer me. If i screw up it ain't the Bow or ML or string or BH its ME! I take responsability fer causing the hurt on an animal. Too many ppl shoot at game they knowed they can't get a clear shot on but refuse to let that animal live to see another day & another chance to hunt it!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Re: BH's

Post by sumner4991 »

Funny you should bring this up as I've been giving a lot of consideration as to whether I should keep collecting the broadhead data.

The data suggests that a hunter can be successful with just about any broadhead made. On the other hand, a hunter can also fail regardless of the broadhead used.

The difference between success and failure is our ability to make a good informed decision, then do that again and again and again. From the making of an arrow to it's release, there are a lot of decisions to be made. We need to make the right decision and it may not be the same answer each time. Lots of variables.

To answer your question . . .I do not like angles, thus another reason I hunt from the ground. The angles are hard to judge too. Not like the deer is flat. It's 3D and its turning and twisting. Knowing the anatomy plays a large role too.

Very few times do we get the perfect shot.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

One of my proudest life accomplishments, at just-turned 70, is no a single deer lost or wounded while using shotgun, handgun, rifle or bows. To me it's always been about the hunting. The killing is anticlimactic, largely a necessity to fill the freezer or show the horns. I don't shoot at running deer and try to shoot only when they 'present' for a double-lung or heart shot. Do some have to walk that way? You bet, but I feel better about myself (and them) doing so.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Had a friend up to hunt with me three weeks ago he shot a 10pt trailing a doe at a slite angle with a three blade mech he only got about 3" of arrow in as we found the broke shaft 50 yards down the trail and no blood past that point, next day he shot a very good 8pt down behind left shoulder from 15ft above same thing arrow skipped off and came out the shoulder on the same side . I have shot alot of deer over the years with a recurve and big four blade broadheads and have had only one arrow slide before going in. We are hunting in kansas so he was using a 65# matthews bow, Rifle season started today so i will be hunting with my Ibex for 10 days , well anyway i have trail cam pictures of both deer one week and now three weeks later the 10pt looks fine the 8pt may not make the winter if i get a shot at him i will take it.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Rufus wrote:Had a friend up to hunt with me three weeks ago he shot a 10pt trailing a doe at a slite angle with a three blade mech he only got about 3" of arrow in as we found the broke shaft 50 yards down the trail and no blood past that point, next day he shot a very good 8pt down behind left shoulder from 15ft above same thing arrow skipped off and came out the shoulder on the same side . I have shot alot of deer over the years with a recurve and big four blade broadheads and have had only one arrow slide before going in. We are hunting in kansas so he was using a 65# matthews bow, Rifle season started today so i will be hunting with my Ibex for 10 days , well anyway i have trail cam pictures of both deer one week and now three weeks later the 10pt looks fine the 8pt may not make the winter if i get a shot at him i will take it.
Curious how does yer friend feel about those shots & deer ? I see this stuff on regular Bow sites. This one n that one post how they stuck a huge racked Buck but it got away. Like this is a silver star to them its ok there is another i will just shoot him! :(
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ch312

Post by ch312 »

vixenmaster wrote: Curious how does yer friend feel about those shots & deer ? I see this stuff on regular Bow sites. This one n that one post how they stuck a huge racked Buck but it got away. Like this is a silver star to them its ok there is another i will just shoot him! :(
either his buddy had extremely bad luck, or he is taking shots he shouldnt be. unfortunately, it seems like more and more hunters are basically saying its ok to take a risky shot if its a bigger animal/trophy...
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

He has shot thirty deer with a bow without a problem with a fixed blade broadhead after the second deer he packed up and went home. He told me last week how bad he felt about it still. The mech heads are now in the trash, i know they will work well most of the time but that is not good enough for me. From a xbow they would be ok i think , but i will never know.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rufus wrote:He has shot thirty deer with a bow without a problem with a fixed blade broadhead after the second deer he packed up and went home. He told me last week how bad he felt about it still. The mech heads are now in the trash, i know they will work well most of the time but that is not good enough for me. From a xbow they would be ok i think , but i will never know.
Which mechanical was he shooting? I've never had a problem.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

He was shooting a Rage three blade he also told me he has shot two deer and two wild hogs with them this year with no problems they where all broad side shots.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rufus wrote:He was shooting a Rage three blade he also told me he has shot two deer and two wild hogs with them this year with no problems they where all broad side shots.
This could be something specific to the Rage and the way the broadheads deploy. I would think that a deflection would be hard for the Rage to achieve because of the rear deployment.

I'll have to do some research.

It's hard to really determine the cause of a bad hit in most cases. Take a look at the Rage . . .the blades are far back. There would be a good amount of penetration before the blades would deploy. Unless something is happening that I'm not aware of, it's hard to believe the broadhead would deflect. Based on the design, I'd think it would be harder to get them to deflect than a fixed blade. Maybe it has to do with the tip????

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Rufus wrote:He has shot thirty deer with a bow without a problem with a fixed blade broadhead after the second deer he packed up and went home. He told me last week how bad he felt about it still. The mech heads are now in the trash, i know they will work well most of the time but that is not good enough for me. From a xbow they would be ok i think , but i will never know.
hmmm...i just picked up a box of 3 blade rage's a few weeks ago as ive never used mechs before...
huntingdeers

Post by huntingdeers »

i agree with you vixenmaster .i just started crossbow hunting this year but i bowhunted for a long time.wounding a animal is never a good thing.but as look back on hunting we all owe it to the animal to make the shot or let it walk.i think maybe some people dont respect the animal they are hunting.if you respect the animal it changes your outlook.refine your equipment , hunting style,all with the aim for a quick kill. but if it does happen learn from your mistakes.dont beat yourself up too bad over it.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i have found since i went from the trees to the ground i stop losing animals....plus on the ground you WILL get a broadside shot, so wait for it :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Only 20 yards . . .where do you aim? :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

sumner4991 wrote:Only 20 yards . . .where do you aim? :lol:

i see no shot here.....
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release