Small game arrow arrow protection

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Re: Small game arrow arrow protection

Post by wheelie »

I use ADDER POINT 25 GRAIN 1 Pc Turkey Tip. Put them behind a field point. Or they can go behind a broadhead also. They don't change my point of impact at all when on with field points. Work very well I find.

Paste ADDER POINT 25 GRAIN in search. Yahoo, Google or Ebay
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have heard of people using a small washer between the shaft and tip. I prefer Zwikey Grapplers, they work very well. They keep the arrow in the prey by sliding up the shaft and slowing the penetration.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i used the judo points with my compound........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

hankenhunter wrote:Thanks guys,
But I am looking to reduce arrow damage. I'm shooting an Ibex
for small game and I am 8 for 8 shooting franklin's grouse but shattered
3 arrows in the process. I wonder if a in line spring might work?
Happy Huntin,
hank
why is it that you are breaking arrows? getting pass throughs and hitting rocks or frozen ground?

i dont understand why your arrows are breaking from shooting small game. let us know what you think is happening...
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Would a small game broadhead (blunt trama head) help?
Missin

Post by Missin »

Ive tries afew of the cheaper small game heads. I trie those adder points once and they completely missed the target so i threw them away.

I think you need something alot more solid for an excal. The ones i use are made in aus and you wouldnt be able to get them over there. I havent shot a bunny with them yet. I have missed 2 though :P When i practice with them they bouce ack of the target and i have shot them at oranges, apples ect. They take a big chunk out but always bouce of and never penetrate.

Heres what i use to give you an idea.
http://www.archeryaddiction.com.au/targ ... iesSGH.JPG
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Here is an interesting small game point.
They are made by Easton http://www.eastonarchery.com/company/article/40
Attachments
varmit.jpg
varmit.jpg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

hankenhunter wrote:Thanks for the help guys, Its the pass throughs that are busting arrows.
Ive used judo and zwicky (dad calls them gopher gutters) and they still
pass through and break. Very rocky country here. maybe the best bet
is to get a smaller poundage crossbow.
Thanks guys.Happy huntin.
Hank
I've got nada but rocks here, gave up on $10 squirrels a while back. I considered a dedicated small game xbow w/ 'light' limbs, think they are around 90# pull on the target models, but that's about the only solution I can think of.
"Eze 18:21"
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Hank,

The arrows breaking on pass through is a result of two factors, one being how much energy the arrow has and the second how abruptly it gets stopped. Two thoughts come to mind, one is to free float the blunt tip so it can act a bit more like a shock absorber and increase the amount of time it takes the arrow to stop and the second is to reduce the amount of energy you start out with by decreasing your draw length.

Adding an o ring and still threading in the point will not give you much gain as the threads of the point are still in direct contact with the threads of the insert. On impact the point is going to push directly on the insert without getting any cushioning from the o ring between the point and the end of the arrow and would still result in broken arrows.

The tip needs to be able to move in and out within the insert. You can either drill out the threads on your insert and then put an o ring between the tip and the end of the insert plus a second o ring or possibly teflon plumbing tape along the male thread portion of the blunt tip.
Play with the number of cushion o rings

Here is an excellent reference handbook on o rings, it is 9MB in size.
http://www.parker.com/literature/ORD%20 ... ndbook.pdf

My other thought along the shock absorber design line of thinking would be to build an arrow extension piece that would have a female insert on one end and a male thread end on the other. It would basically be a small air piston chamber, nearly identical in design to a fire piston. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston

By playing with the diameters and lengths you should be able build an arrow shock absorber that would allow you to shoot your blunt tipped arrow without worrying about impact breakage.

The other way to try this is to leave the insert stock and remove the threads on the blunt tip.
You could try grinding down all the threads on the blunt tip and adding an o ring between the tip and the end of the arrow insert this is the cushioning o ring and add a second o ring along the shaft of the blunt tip. The second o ring keeps the blunt tip from falling out of the shaft.

One option to try would be to decrease the amount you are drawing back the bow with the use of a second string that attaches to your regular string. This second loop of string is then pulled back and is held in place by the claws in the trigger mechanism. I was thinking a piece of the 550 parachute cord or something equally strong. By varying the length of the extension loop you should be able to vary the output of your crossbow down to a poundage that is more appropriate for small game.

Here is the thread that I took the above from.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 4&start=15

Here is if you wanted to try making your own blunts.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 98#p257898
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hi Mate,
You've got to try Howie's "Varmit Busters" from Australia.
During the last 4 months I've ordered and tried 5 different blunts to try.
I've been helping a couple of old fellas clean the vermin from thier properties.
I damaged some blunts quickly, others fly badly, or ar just way too expensive.
But the best Ive used so far are the VB's. They come in 125 & 150 grain.
With my equinox I haven't had a complete pass through on a rabbit yet. They're cheap, repairable steel, and hit exactly the same spot as my field point up to 35m (way better than normal blunts).
I haven't ruined a shaft or VB yet, but my mate has hit a rock and bent one.
You just unscrew the field point, squeeze the cross in a vise to straighten it, and your off again.
Give it a go.
Cheers,
Dash
Howies Varmit Buster VB.jpg
Missin

Post by Missin »

Dash, thats exactly what i posted up, and where both from WA :shock: :D

Wheres abouts in WA you from, send us a PM!