New X-Bow Owner 2010 Deer Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WTB

New X-Bow Owner 2010 Deer Season

Post by WTB »

My story is long but I will keep it short.

I am 54, live in Western NC where " Brown and Down" or Hair, Horn Boom!" has always been my hunting practice. I am not a Trophy Hunter as I have never found a good recipe for Antlers. Where I live, one is lucky to see a Buck and we have only one Doe day a season.

I have had a long two years. I had total hip R&R Sept 2009 and Both knees totally R&R March 2010. I had to have a lumbar back surgery and the procedure I needed was only performed in Dayton Ohio and Dallas Texas.

My Sister lives 2 hours south of Dallas (Temple) so I scheduled my surgery for Nov 30th. I had blown my right shoulder out so my custom self-built high performance 60lb recurve was not an option. I bought a new Vortex and Boltcutters mid-Oct. I practiced many hours and was ready. I flew in to Temple on the 12th bought my $315 out of state licence and we loaded up the Pick ups and headed to the deer lease 5 hours away in Irion County.

I took my first shot at a big doe at 17 yards, pass through, good intial blood trail and after 20 yards it stopped. I had 8 trtackers and we could not find her. :( :( . My first lost deer ever. My brother-in-law talked me in to trying a 100 gr. Vortex Pro-Extreme. I did and my next four shots resulted in one seven point 20 yard shot, recovery 50 yards. The next three shots 15-22 yards resulted in three Big Texas does. Shortest recovery, 13 yards and the longest 40 yards.

All shots were pass throughs on the spot and plenty of blood trail. :) :) :D :D

I had my surgery on the 30th and returned to the lease on the 3rd harvested a nice doe on the 5th (308 Win) I'm on a 10lb weight restriction and could not use my Vortex.

I return to NC on the 9th and hope to get one NC hunt the end of Dec.

I LOVE MY VORTEX AND MY VORTEX PRO-EXTREMES
vixenmaster

Re: New X-Bow Owner 2010 Deer Season

Post by vixenmaster »

Welcome to the Forum & congrats on yer Vortex & congrats on all yer deer. Pray fer yer speedy recovery & many yrs of good Hunting to follow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and good to hear you like your Excal so much!
Good luck with your surgery and good health to you in the future! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
WTB

Post by WTB »

Thanks for your thoughts. My recovery is great. On Saturday I clean missed a doe at 125 yards with my 308 ( hit a mesquite limb at 60 yards). I got PO'd and packed up and left my stand and started walking back to camp. I have not been able to walk much over a couple hundred yards for the last year. I walked about 2 miles upgrade before my Brother picked me up.

Sunday I dropped a doe with an ear shot at 115 yards.

Anybody with low back issues should check out North American Spine. My surgery involved nuro decompression, scar tissue around nerves,heriated dics and bulging discs between S1 and L2.

The procedure was about one hour long, one hour in recovery, 1/4 incision and I was back on the deer stand four days later. It has been years that I could stand up straight.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on you successful hunting and surgery!!!!!!!!!!

I'll probably have to face some lower back and shoulder work on my old body someday, but I figure as long as I can still hunt & fish I'll put it off. :roll:
(the longer I wait the more practice the surgeons get on other people :lol: )
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

You will be in our prayers WTB. I has a 3 level fusion at Duke 9 years ago and am still in a lot of pain. I live in eastern NC, shoot me a PM and we can chat :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Welcome to the best forum in the world; glad to hear good reports on your recent surgery; as far as your excalibur, you will soon be selling your recurve bow; I used to be a traditional bow hunter through and through but I switched over to crossbows in 2003 because of stomach surgery and now will NEVER go back even if I could; nothing like hunting with excalibur; if I would have started using them 20 years ago, it would scare people to know the deer I would have killed; it would scare me matter of fact... :D ....;

Good luck and keep us posted on your future hunts; congrats and hope you have the best Christmas ever; God bless.