Treestands verses Groundblind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

Treestands verses Groundblind

Post by Dash »

Guys,
This may sound like a stupid question, but its a genuine question coming from someone who hasn't hunted deer ever, so bear with me.
Whats the the idea of the treestand ? Is it because deer are too sharp or jumpy to get within crossbow range on the ground ? Or because they aren't used to looking upwards for predators armed with excaliburs?
It sounds like a bit of extra work setting up a tree stand, but I'm sure there an obvious reason everyone does it?
GaryM

Re: Treestands verses Groundblind

Post by GaryM »

I use a tree stand early in the season when there are still leaves on the trees. Better vision, and your scent isn't as strong when you're up in the air.

I've always heard that "deer don't look up for danger". I'm here to tell you that is BS. Maybe a young one won't, but once the leaves are off the trees and they've been shot at I can assure you they look up in the trees constantly.

I've found that you get a better blood trail when you shoot from a tree and the arrow exits out the bottom of the deer. A pass through shot from the ground sometimes doesn't leave a blood trail for quite a distance. When you put one through deer and the arrow exits from the bottom of the chest it's like pulling a drain plug on a car engine.

Having a big rutting buck 15 yds. from you while you are on the ground will produce about 10X the adrenaline as being that close from a tree. Some folks like that, some don't. 8) Gary
weezy

Post by weezy »

I like being in an treestand because you can see the deer coming usually and have time to prepare for your shot and calm yourself down :lol:
I have 2 ground blinds and have never have killed a deer in them.It seems like they know its there even though its brushed in good.And you have to be alot more careful when you go to shoulder your bow because your right at their eye level and they can spot your movement easier.Thats my experience with ground blinds anyways..
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I like hunting from a treestand just for the view. Can see them coming. That said, I had a buck that I could not see because I was in a ground blind and by the time it got to me it was to dark to see. Believe me the sound of his tines rubbing on the bush I was in will forever be branded in my memory.I never did know how big he was. Even old age can't erase that one. :lol: :D 8)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Back in 1962 when i started Bowhunting i did n still do hunt from trees. Back then deer & other game seldom looked up unless they picked up odd movements. So over the past 50 yrs deer & other game have learned that predators do be up in trees :lol: It does give better angle fer BH exit blood trailing. It does help in yer movement allowed, it does help you in seeing deer in time to be at least aware they are in yer close area. It does help in scent control & its doesn't stand out in their living room as does a ground blind. You can brush a ground blind where its almost not seen by our eyes but the deer knowed its there! I have been up in my climber 25' above the ground. I see deer coming & everyone of them stop & look at my blind & its been in same spot not taken down nor moved fer over a yr.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Another positive thing about tree stands is it gets you above a lot of the brush so you have less obstructions between you and the Deer and can help with your scent also but plenty of people still get winded in tree stands .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

gerald strine wrote:Another positive thing about tree stands is it gets you above a lot of the brush so you have less obstructions between you and the Deer and can help with your scent also but plenty of people still get winded in tree stands .

that depends also.. sometimes you can have more brush such as limbs in your way.

I like treestands hands down. Deer dont notice them as easy as ground blinds. Even a brushed in ground blind can still be picked out. Treestands have a far greater field of view. You can see in all angles no matter the lay of the land. In a blind you are pretty much looking in 1-2 directions ahead of you.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I've always had good luck from a ground blind. The deer don't seem to notice. They're to busy looking up in the trees for tree stands. :wink: :)
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
huntingdeers

Post by huntingdeers »

i see most people choose treestands.i hunt from both treestands and on the ground.hunting from the ground does have some advantages .for one you can be mobile.dont see anything get up stillhunt to another stand site.hunt like you would spring turkey hunting.total camo you dont need a blind with a crossbow.this is really deadly in the rut.but i still like being up a tree.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

My best guess is that here in the NE most hunters are most productive hunting from tree stands. I prefer hunting from the ground and have taken two deer that way. I started using a 2D decoy last season and believe it is what allowed me to make a lot of movement (very slow of course) in order to take a shot off my right shoulder. Deer really did seem to be distracted by the 2D decoy.

http://www.tidecoys.com/territorialintr ... /Home.html

+

http://www.ghostblind.com/flashintro/index.html

wabi

Re: Treestands verses Ground blind

Post by wabi »

I hunt from both usually picking which one depending on the weather and season. The elevated stand gives a better view and a bit better scent dispersal, but you are also more exposed to the deer's view. Movement will get their attention! :wink:
The ground blind limits view, but movement is better concealed. Your scent is more at ground level, though. On a still windless day the longer you're in the blind the more of a scent contaminated area you will produce. I try to limit my time in the stand to less than a couple of hours for that reason.
I'm lucky enough to have a feeder/game cam where I have my primary stand and blind, so I can predict the best time of day to hunt and limit my time out.
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

The general idea behind the tree stand is that deer have no natural predators from the sky (above) so thet aren't looking up for danger. That being said many deer have busted huters in tree stands. I like tree stands because you can see much farther in all directions but I switch to the ground when the weather turns real cold. The land I hunt is very open and the wind whips right through me when I'm up in the trees. I've had pretty much equal success from both types of hunting.

I also like tree stands cause I lose less arrows. Treestand pass throughs stick in the ground near where the animal was standing, When shooting from the ground, level with the deer the pass throughs can travel farther and are easily lost. I've lost a few arrows when hunting from the ground.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Dash

Post by Dash »

There's a few good reasons for treestands amongst those replys. Its sounds like you have some thicks woods over there.
If I got up a tree around here, I'd stand out like dogs balls. Big trees are pretty sparse over this way. Animals would see me from a mile away !
Bucky205

Post by Bucky205 »

Treestand is my favorite but many times here in Alabama a blind becomes advantageous because there is nothing nearby to climb. I have about 75,000 acers here in my area of Alabama that I can bow hunt. The deer seem to be almost nomadic in their process of following food. I practice hit and run. I think your very best odds of getting a deer out of an area is the very first time you hunt it. I don't care how careful you are deer will know you have been there. So when you find that funnel or travel corridor look at the wind terrain and trees and decide the best method to hunt it and hunt it then if possible.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

All good replies above.

I too prefer a treestand, but only when it is effective in concealing me. I have one stand that is in a narrow tree and, once the leaves are all down, I'll bet the deer can spot me halfway across the woodlot!

After shooting a forkhorn this fall at 12 yards from the ground, I will no longer hesitate to hunt from the ground if it suits the location & conditions. For example, my favourite stand cannot be hunted in an east wind. "Plan B" in that case is a make-shift ground postion where I tuck myself back into the brush. No fancy blind recquired.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount