Cocking the Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jim

Cocking the Equinox

Post by Old Jim »

I'm a newbe to this forum, but not to Archery. 77 years old and been in Archery for about 70 years. About 10 years ago gave up the V-bow and purchased Excalibur X-bows whic I believe are the best made. After an Ibex; Vortex, and 2 Relayers (left and right hand) I bought an Equinox. Now I believe that the Crankaroo is made for old folks so i use only the rope cock. I shortened the rope cock for the Equinox, but was having a heck of a time pulling the last couple inches of the draw. I found that placing my feet on both sides of the riser, it would shorten the draw and no problem. Went to hardware store and bought 3-M non skid tape which I added to the inside of the limbs at the riser. Question: Is this a common pratice and can it hurt the bow? Sure is faster than the Crankaroo. Old Jim
sumner4991

Re: Cocking the Equinox

Post by sumner4991 »

You may be sailing in unchartered waters, old man. :D

I hadn't heard of anyone doing that, but, based on what you said, seems like it would be OK. Don't let your feet slip or you may not see 78.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I just hope when I get 77 I can stand up straight enough to use a rope cocker! :D
Way to go Old Jim!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I am 47 short and own a crank a roo for my equinox and use it for all my target shooting it is great, pretty fast and easy as pie to use.I only use the rope cocker
for hunting.
Stop betting around the bush and buy a crank before you get hurt or get your limbs out of wack sorry to be blunt but you are missing out on a good thing.
CRANK A ROO :!:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum Old Jim...I guess that makes me Young Jim!! :lol: :lol:
I can't offer you any advice on your cocking issue but I'm sure someone here will help you out.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Huntz

Post by Huntz »

Jim,I am no expert,but that does not sound like a good idea.Instead why don`t you squat down and straighten up using the string cocker(With your foot in the stirrup instead of bending over and pulling up)Your leg muscles are stronger than your arm or back.Good luck Huntz :D
Politically Incorrect and proud of it!!!!!!!!!
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

I should have mentioned that I am always sitting down when I cock the bow placing my feet on the limbs to shorten draw. I have since purchased a crankaroo to use when I'm in the field, not in my basement range. I like the crankaroo, but to slow if I want to shoot 50 or so arrows a day. 50 years or so ago the crossbow was cocked different ways. One using a lever type, one end on bow and one end on the string and push down. If the bow weight was lighter, a stirrup or putting your feet on the limbs. Thanks for all the come backs. Old Jim
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

First I shortened the rope so I had to pull the string up to the second hook about 6 inches. Helped some. The 'nock was still a bear to cock and I like to shoot a lot.
Sold the bow and bought a Vortex and a Phoenix, both are much easier on my twice-cut 70 something back. :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
rattler1

Post by rattler1 »

I just bought a new Equinox with the crank roo last week, after a hundred or so shots I wish I would have bought the Ibex. I just wanted to keep the speed the same as my Tornado and Horton TRT.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Vixens rule! :D :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.