What is a good Cam to buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Missin

Re: What is a good Cam to buy?

Post by Missin »

Im using a stealth cam ST1890 at the moment. It is the lower end of the stealth cam range and is in the lower end of trail cam prices.

It takes excellent pictures but the trigger speed is quite slow. Something has to stick around or be moving slowly for it to pick it up.

As for batteries, some have lasted 2 weeks but the set im on now is one about its 6th week :? The 12v power cable is in the mail though.

There was a good site someone posted up in a recent thread. It reviews most of the popular makes and models side by side. Find this and have a look!

It all depends what you want it for.
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... &src=BE603

I've been looking at the Plotwatcher and now they have a pretty good sale on them. It doesn't take pics at night but it seems pretty cool.
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Stealth are not a good cam fer the price or their other line under another name. I generally don't recommend on e company brand over another as it begins the this cam is better or this company is better thing. I can say fer a fair price some of the Bushnell cam are ok. When i get more funds in the future i will complete my Homebrew using my Sony P32.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MDBOWHUNTER

Post by MDBOWHUNTER »

I've been using them for years and this year i bought a couple of Bushnell Trophy Cams. These are the best so far and both of them are still on the original batteries. They claim that a set will last all season and so far that has held up. Great pics day and night.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I have a Bushnel Trophy Camera. Very good camera. Batteries last seemingly forever, even in below zero weather. Shutter speed is incrediably fast. If I would want anything changed I would like the flash to reach out farther than it does. BUT... I guess the new ones reach out 50+ feet .
It sure beats the heck out of my Moultries. Only one that is better is a Reconyx but they are outrageous in price!

I would definitley recommend it and will buy another one after holiday.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have to give the Bushnell trophy camera the nod as well great features, good battery life, compact size. I have only used mine from Mid Oct till now 1 set of batteries about 1600 photos.

2nd camera is a Scout Guard 560 it is a great camera as well. Stills or videos a seperate remote to view pictures and to program. Trigger speed is pretty good as well.

3rd camera is made by Wild Game Innovation IR4 it is also working well . Not near the features of the other 2 but very good for the price. It is rather large compared to the others but was around $120 with 2 2 gb sd cards, and an external 6 volt battery pack and a charger.

You can get more info at this website

www.chasingame.com
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

I as well as some friends have had good luck with the SpyPoint line of cams
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

trophy cam is a good all year camera..

cuddeback capture is a good camera. I like it better in the cooler air. The bushnell works great in the summer heat. Both are good in the 159-199 range
phil

Post by phil »

I have had horrific problems with stealth cam and wildview ( same company actually)...2 broke and customer service was terrible!..battery life was a joke on the wildview too.
Own a cuddeback IR now and love it. Friends have the bushnell and love it too. Both can be found at under 200 bucks now too.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I'm not going to say how good it is, haven't had it long enough. I went with the ScoutGuard 560V with a security box. What pics i have got were good. It has a good trigger at 1.2 sec and a 3 pic burst that is close to that time (1.2) from what i can tell. I camo'ed my security box and use lag bolts from sky hook tree steps to mount it to the tree. Then pad lock the box, not theft proof but if someone steals it they will have to work.
If nothing else it helps me sleep a little better.
Booner

Post by Booner »

Bushnell trophy cam is a great cam I love the size & batt life of these cams.The only problem I have had with them is other people like them too, had one stolen this season.The cam that is worth looking at is primos truth cams I got the low end 35 for under hundred bucks and it works well and has a hole through the body of the cam to run a cable lock through.I really like the bushnell but for half the price its easier to strap the truth cam to a tree and leave.
vortex

Post by vortex »

I have a Bushnell Trail Sentry, work okay but eats up "D" batteries (gets kind of expensive) I also have a Spy-Point IR6 http://www.spypoint.com , works great, uses "AA" batteries and it has been out since July (Approx 2000pics and same batteries) Check out http://www.chasingame.com They do testing on all makes and models of cameras
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com