shooting tips

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

shooting tips

Post by mchurch »

I shoot an excal equinox. I have had Danny Miller sweeten up the trigger. I have noticed that when shooting from a rest I can hold the crossbow on target but have trouble keeping it precise at times during firing. I am not sure if it is due to trigger creep or my type of rest. I have noticed that if I use the fat parts of my trigger finger I get better results. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
masboy

Re: shooting tips

Post by masboy »

i done my trigger real smooth but still has a little creep i put forend down in sand bag and pat sides of bag around it good and snug then aim at target with saftey on and pull trigger takes up most of slack then saftey off and shoot.i also when useing rope cocker as i pull up to cock bring my hands closer together as i come up.makes my groups smaller.hope this helps a little.
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

New to the xbow, but I have far above average experience with long distance marksmanship with the high powered rifle. The technique should translate well because both have a forearm, stock and trigger assembly. The type of rest isn't that important as long as it is heavy and does not move. I know it sounds funny but how you breathe is important. Settle in on the bow into a comfortable shooting position. Get the target in the scope where you are not having to muscle the cross hairs onto the target. It should naturally rest where you want your point of impact to be. Take a deep breath and slowly exhale to the point that your lungs are at rest. Do not force air out. Slowly SQUEEZE the trigger. Do not pull but squeeze while you are concentrating on the crosshairs. The sound/recoil of the bow will startle you if you are in that zone. If you practice this without really shooting a few times it will help. BREATHE-n-SQUEEZE. Sounds like taking it to the extreme maybe.....but very basic to really good marksmanship. Maybe it will help. I hope so. Takes practice.
DEO VINDICE
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Things that have helped me . . .

Make sure you hold the stock the same way each shot with the stock resting in your hand. If you use a sling, then have it wrapped the same each time.

Be firm with the stock against your shoulder, yet relax the rest of your body.

I take two deep breaths, then hold, then I pull the trigger. I do not jerk, I do not squeeze . . .somewhere between those. I like to know when the recoil is coming. No surprises for me, I like to know.

Most important . . .make an effort to feel your trigger finger coming toward the meat part of your thumb. Sometimes we are so concerned about holding everything "still", that we grip harder, yet do not start the finger in a firing motion. We are sitting there squeezing our hand harder and harder and wondering why it hasn't fired already.

Watch the arrow hit the target through the scope or without moving the pin off the target. You want to make sure the arrow has hit before you remove your head from the shooting position.

I also practice shooting ten shots as quickly as possible. Sounds crazy, but, it helps get the routine down. And, this is probably more like what we do when shooting a deer. You will probably be surprised how well you group your shots when doing this the first time.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Take rope cocker off string on both sides before you shoot. Trust me it hurts bad!!!!! Smashed the plastic handle with my baby finger. :wink:
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use the shooting bench only to sight-in or confirm my setup is still dead-on.

The rest of my shooting is done from actual hunting positions I am likely to use.

The list includes shots from my ladder stand using the shooting rail with my hand supporting the fore-end,
kneeling, sitting in a chair using a knee/elbow support to steady the bow (like I would use in the ground blind),
and plain old standing offhand shooting.

From the bench I expect 1" or better groups at 25 yards, from hunting positions I expect 3" or better groups at 25 yards.
I usually get the results I'm expecting with my Phoenix. :wink:
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Could be you've unknowingly developed a flinch, I did after a compound bow disintegrated while shooting it. Have someone watch your eyes, etc while shooting the bow to determine if you're anticipating the shot.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Missin

Post by Missin »

Cossack wrote:Could be you've unknowingly developed a flinch, I did after a compound bow disintegrated while shooting it. Have someone watch your eyes, etc while shooting the bow to determine if you're anticipating the shot.
I found out i had by accidently not switching the safety to the fire position. Found i was anticipating the recoil and pulling the front of the bow up. Obviously wont work if you know what your trying to do :lol:

I still find i have to really concentrate and think about NOT anticipating the shot though.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

All the above advice is good stuff but one thing not mentioned is burn a whole in the target with your eyes so to speak.This with a good follow through,steady trigger pull and a firm but not tense bow hold will get you good results.
Also use your bone structure to support the weight of the bow as much as possible mussels move and are not steady bones are stable.
For instance having your elbow of the forearm supporting hand resting on your knee is better than having it in the air were the mussels have to do work.
Or if standing have the elbow resting on your rib cage your palm nestled in the butt end of the forearm curve fingers pointing down the rail and toes lined up so you can draw a line from their tips to the target when you can of course.
The less mussel you have in play the better the results.
sitting is better than standing because of less mussel involvement leaning a shoulder into a tree is better because it takes a load off of mussels ect.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.