Drop of Broadhead VS Field Point

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Drop of Broadhead VS Field Point

Post by sumner4991 »

As long as your field tip is the same weight as the broadhead, then they should hit the same spot.

This has the makings of a very long thread. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

All kinds of goofy things can happen when you screw a fixed blade bhead on, shoot them before hunting w/ them is the rule of thumb.

Springing for a bhead target is part of the game, imho. Or, shoot mechanicals, I've little to no experience w/ them but reportedly, they shoot to same poi as field tips.

Make or buy an arrow spinner, that will be your first clue on possible problems. Finish nails bent into an X will suffice, expoxied marbles together at each end of a board is the deluxe model. :D
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:As long as your field tip is the same weight as the broadhead, then they should hit the same spot.

Agree on both counts, but......................... :roll:

It sometimes happens the broadhead and field point shoot the same, but if often isn't the case.
A broadhead can "wind plane" which simply means it has surfaces exposed to the air that can steer it off course in flight.

I highly recommend testing broadheads on a target before hunting with them - you owe it to the game you're hunting to be respectful enough to do everything you can to assure a quick clean kill!

If you can't afford a fancy new broadhead target then get an old cardboard box and stuff it full of old carpet scraps, plastic bags, styrofoam packing "peanuts", or anything that will slow the arrow down and put it in front of a safe backstop (like a dirt bank). I've tested many broadheads with foam building panels stacked inside a cardboard box.
Good target? - not really, but it let me see where they hit and cost very little.
wabi
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Don't know if I'm as qualified as the previous post...but what the hell I'll throw my two cents in!!!
When I was shooting vertical bows the only fixed blades I could get to fly like field pts were the small low profile ones(nap nitron).
I tried several kinds and finally got tired of sighting my bow in twice and went to mechs.
I shoot spitfires...I've tried several types of mechs.,and I allway's come back to spitfire's...just can't beat them...damn reliable!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

What BH's are you using ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ch312

Post by ch312 »

sumner4991 wrote:As long as your field tip is the same weight as the broadhead, then they should hit the same spot.

i was shooting yesterday and was nailing a 1.5x1.5 square every time out to 50 yards. switched to the rage 3 blade practice point and every single shot was 1.5" lower than field points even though both weigh the exact same on a scale. not sure why though.

after a slight adjustment i was nailing that same small square with the rage every time.
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

I shoot 125 gr Montec G-5 from my Exocet 200. They are a pretty big fixed head and at 20 yards from a rest I have about 1 inch down and one inch to the left for my field points.

I found that if you get a couple compressed bales of peat moss (for about $7 each) from a home store it makes a good target for broad heads. You can get quite a few shots into the bales before you empty it out into the garden. Push the arrows through instead of pulling out and patch the holes with duct tape and it will last much longer
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

To ch312
To get these tight groups.I assume that you have a scope. Could you share with us the Brand and Model. Thanks
phil

Post by phil »

im using the thunderheads 125's...they shoot about 1 inch low @ 20 yds compared to my fieldpoints.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I haven't shot any field points in years. I only practice with broadheads and hunt with the ones I practice with after a resharpening. Gary
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i had good luck and accuracy with slick tricks 100s in my pheonix