My Thursday, 30 December 2010.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Moxie

My Thursday, 30 December 2010.

Post by Moxie »

I went into the OR at 0800 this morning to do two hip cases; only to find out there was now just one hip case at 1130. Then at 0930, I’m told the hip is cancelled. So, I’m out of there for the rest of the year.

I stopped by Dicks’ Sporting Goods and purchased some C’Mere Deer Shake & take, on my way home.

I stopped by Bill’s and put the C’Mere Deer out at the stump feeder, and, headed to the house to change and get ready for a late afternoon hunt.

I was in the standby 1400. Nothing really happened until about 1600, when I saw two antlerless deer off to my left, coming around the water hole. There were actually three. I didn’t see the third one until she came out behind some thick brush.

I had just finished empting my bladder and sat down when I saw the deer. The breeze was extremely light but bellowing to the North, the direction the deer were coming from.

I’m not sure whether the deer saw me move, or smelled me. It doesn’t matter, because, for the next twenty minutes, I was slowly moving my body behind the tree as much as possible without spooking the deer any more.

After about twenty minutes, the big doe went back in the direction she came from leaving the two smaller deer still off to my left and slightly behind me.

I was paying complete attention to the two deer to my left, when a glance in front of me was the big doe. She hadn’t seen me and was in a perfect place for a eighteen to twenty yard shot, but, I could not move because of the two deer on my left and slightly behind me.

The light is beginning to become a problem about this time, as the big doe moved to feed.

The big doe had feed about five minutes when the two behind me, to my left came in to feed. About fifteen minutes later a forth deer came in by being announced by the flash from one of my Leaf River cameras.

These four feed for about fifteen to twenty minutes, when a fifth deer came in from behind on my left, to join the other four.

All five feed in front of me for the next twenty minutes to a half hour before moving out towards the farm.

All this time I was a part of the tree, not moving. At this point, I no longer had shooting light at all.

This all started about 1600. I didn’t get out of the ladder until 1755, but, what an experience.

I’ll be back in the ladder early in the morning, and, tomorrow afternoon. What an afternoon to remember.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
frisky

Re: My Thursday, 30 December 2010.

Post by frisky »

I have had times all I could do was watch. Still is a nice way to pass the time. I wish my camera was on the bow so I could shoot em with the camera! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds awesome even though no arrow was fired!
Good luck to you tomorrow!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sounds like very good afternoon hunt
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thats what makes it addictive!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DanO

Post by DanO »

GEEZ at my age I'd be so stiff I WOULD be the tree if I didn't move for that long. Oh to be young again!

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Good story. funny, you can be ready for hours sometimes, but the moment you drop your guard the opertunity will present itself :lol:
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

DanO wrote:GEEZ at my age I'd be so stiff I WOULD be the tree if I didn't move for that long. Oh to be young again!

Dan O.
Dan O, I'm 69. :mrgreen:
Terry

Quad 300 x2
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Sounds like you had a great hunt. Good luck tomorrow.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

69 and your still doing hip surgery??? :shock: god bless you! :D I think he did. Nice story too. Good hunting :)
I am a hunter and proud of it.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Wow! what's your secret Moxie? I'm 58 and I'm losing flexibility quicker than I'd like! Good genes???
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.