My Whitetail Season 2010

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

watamach

My Whitetail Season 2010

Post by watamach »

I must admit I enjoy the way RJ writes his stories so I wanted to use his style to tell mine (thanks RJ)

October 1 - I take opening day off work every year and hunt some food sources that I have scouted good activity late summer early fall. This farm is 5 mins from my house and is a 400 acre goldmine. I see deer here every time I am out and opening day I was fortunate to connect on a doe with my compound.

My opening day stand.....
A nice doe to start the season
I saw this buck a few times but he never presented a shot.
A nice way to finish an evening sit....

One morning hunt I noticed the geese coming off the pond and flying over my field unusually low as the headed out to feed. I decide to get out of my stand and head to the west side of the property and try nailing one with my bow. I hide in some brush and when the next flock arrives overhead I drop this young one out of the sky......no joke.

Shotgun week early November - We hunt in Arthur and only get out Monday and Tuesday. This year we connected on 4 does the first 2 days and we also managed 2 more bucks stand hunting for a total of 6 this year. We saw more this year then we ever had but they kept eluding our set ups.

A few of the crew.....

Big Jake said enough of this dragging business....
Our deer for the day....

November rut was busy with activity but the bucks again stayed just out of shooting range. I probably saw 10 different bucks between 2 farms but couldn't get one close enough I wanted to shoot. I did have a couple of fork horns and a small 6 in range but on this farm I try to let them grow.

I am guessing this year I had a least 15 opportunities at shooting deer while on stand. Some nights the field had 10 does and I waited for the bucks that only showed up at very last light. I had does and fawns, a couple small bucks but never a shooter.

I used scent drags and saw them pull in deer. I used a buck decoy that attracted a small buck and some button bucks.

Late December hunt.....

I get a chance at a deer yard.....WOW what a sight this was. I average seeing 50-60 deer everyday. I had a chance at shooting a deer every time I went out.
Does like crazy....
Just about to climb into my stand and this little one doesn't even run off at 15 yds.
Just below my stand.....

I had a chance at the 10 pt with my crossbow but he never turned broadside to give me an ethical shot. I decided to sit on the ground between a bedding area and food source Dec 31st. Around 8 I see a doe and fawn walking up the trail right to me and behind them I I see the big guy. They are closing fast and I think here we go finally. The doe and fawn pass at 20 yds and have no idea I am there. The buck is taking his time and licks a branch for 30 seconds and then decides to turn right and go and bed into some pines close to the owners house. I am thinking you are kidding me but will say am proud I didn't take a careless 40 yd shot through brush quartering away.

I didn't go home empty handed and shot another doe the day before the buck encounter.
The blood trail.....
The arrow.....
She kind of quartered towards me but recovery was 30 yds and she piled up within in 2 minutes within my sight.
Last but not least the butchering and the year is done.

I didn't get my buck but overall I had a very successful year and have many memories and learning experiences from the field.

Chris
Last edited by watamach on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frisky

Re: My Whitetail Season 2010

Post by frisky »

Nice pictures. You have a great stock of deer there. With that numbers of animals I can see why those trails are huge. That is a nice buck. I too have a gold mine but mine is 20 acres! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Hey CONGRATS!! thanks for bringing us along :D
The best things in life are not things!!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Got a goose with the bow! wow. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats & nice pic's thx fer taking me along on yer hunts this yr.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
watamach

Post by watamach »

Hi Planter, No we do not practice QDM simply because I don't know what is involved. My hunting mate and I discussed researching that very thing this year and will start to execute next year on the big farm (400).

The deer yard farm is not my regular spot and I only was able to get permission the last week of the season so that won't be an option to practice any QDM next year.
maple

Post by maple »

Very nice photo hunt!! Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Maple
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great post Watchman I like the pictures that run along with the story.
I think the best part of the season was the bow shot Goose out of the air way to go.
Were any of your kills with a crossbow or all with the vertical bow?
Now the long hall to next season.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
lscha

Post by lscha »

Love those picture stories. Thanks and Congratulations!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
watamach

Post by watamach »

Hey Gerald, Compound only this year. I had the crossbow out late season for some cold days and a few bush pushes but no shots fired. The cross hairs were on a few with the crossbow but never pressed the trigger. I use my climber a ton and find its easier to travel with the compound that's all. Depends on my spots and weather.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's ! ... Cool pictures as well ! ... Loosk like you had an awsome season !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great post, great photos! Sure looks like you enjoyed your season! CONGRATS!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics!!
The place is a goldmine for sure!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads