My first Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ketsumaye

My first Crossbow

Post by Ketsumaye »

Hi! I have just registered and the thing is: I want to practice crossbow shooting, and I'm seriously considering to buy an Excal, because every webpage that I have visited recommends Excalibur Crossbows because of their reliability, toughness, and power. Thing is, I am not even 17, and I don't think I will be able to handle and Exomax, and a Pixel is likely too weak. I plan to use the crossbow for Target shooting, but I'm afraid that an Apex is a bit weak also. Which one should I buy? I don't want to get a compound crossbow because they are too complex and hard to repair if a problem arises.
frisky

Re: My first Crossbow

Post by frisky »

Vixen (150 pound) or Phoenix( 175 pound) will be good for target practice. Both can be easily cocked. Both can be used for hunting, I have a Phoenix.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Ketsumaye

Post by Ketsumaye »

frisky wrote:Vixen (150 pound) or Phoenix( 175 pound) will be good for target practice. Both can be easily cocked. Both can be used for hunting, I have a Phoenix.
Thanks! I was worried about cocking, too. Their price seem fair, also.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Buddy, being 17 you likely have the ommph to pull the exomax or equinox back! Granted its alot of bow. But with the cocking aid it cuts the draw in half. The sky is the limit!! The pixle and the apex are pretty light bows and are a good choice for target shooting but I would go with a bow thats more "middle of the road" like the vixen, pheonix or axiom just in case you ever decide to hunt with it.
For strictly target shooting you will notice that the servings will take a beating with the exomax and equinox, another good reason to go with the middle lines.

Welcome to the forum! Your user name kinda reminds me of a good member that hasnt been here for a while.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Ketsumaye

Post by Ketsumaye »

one shot scott wrote:Buddy, being 17 you likely have the ommph to pull the exomax or equinox back! Granted its alot of bow. But with the cocking aid it cuts the draw in half. The sky is the limit!! The pixle and the apex are pretty light bows and are a good choice for target shooting but I would go with a bow thats more "middle of the road" like the vixen, pheonix or axiom just in case you ever decide to hunt with it.
For strictly target shooting you will notice that the servings will take a beating with the exomax and equinox, another good reason to go with the middle lines.

Welcome to the forum! Your user name kinda reminds me of a good member that hasnt been here for a while.
Haha, thanks. But I'm not 17, I'm 15. Either way, if the cocking aid cuts the weigh in half, cocking will be no problem then. Changing subject, what is the name of that member? I use this very username everywhere, since, like, 4 years ago.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Whoops, I misread :oops: Still.... I would go with the bows mentioned already, regardless of your age being 15 or 17.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Ketsumaye

Post by Ketsumaye »

one shot scott wrote:Whoops, I misread :oops: Still.... I would go with the bows mentioned already, regardless of your age being 15 or 17.
Thanks a lot! you didn't misread, I said I was not yet 17, so it's not a problem :D
watamach

Post by watamach »

I would head to your local bow shop and use a rope cocker on a few models. I find with the rope cocker they are all pretty simple to handle. Any good shop will ask you to try them our and give you the correct advice. I am in KW area and the Bow Shop and George are very helpful. The guys at Triggers and Bows are great also down Brantford way. Good luck.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

My son who is 11 can almost cock a Phoenix with lite limbs so I do not think you will have a problem with the Vixen or the Phoenix.
Let us know which you get and we will be happy to help you with any questions you have in the future.
ie arrow weight,scopes
Tenpoint Matrix