Arrow noice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jim

Arrow noice

Post by Old Jim »

Shooting a couple dozen shoots today and was trying to figure out where the most noise was coming from. I shoot into a spyderweb target. The most noise seemed to be generated by the arrow striking the target rather then from the crossbow itself. Next I'll shoot a arrow into the sky to test my theary, except I hate to loose an arrow.
vixenmaster

Re: Arrow noice

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't waste yer arrow in the sky. Other than the arrow hitting the target the noise comes from the sudden stop on string, simular to a whip being cracked.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

My luck it would come down and stick in my head! LOL
Missin

Post by Missin »

I tried it once just to see where it went. Out in the middle of nowhere.

It suprisingly came back very close to me. Probably about 30 yards away from where i shot. Unlucky it landed in a tree top though. And yes i did cower under a tree after i shot it :lol:

Russian roulette with arrows!

On another note i would love to get and abandoned runway or something and see how far these things actually shoot.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hey Missin ,
I was curious myself how far the equinox would go at distance. It would be good to know. At the end of march I'll start my gold prospecting trips again and soon find out. The eastern goldfields salt lakes (Dry) where I prospect are between 20-40 miles wide. Perfect safe place to do some testing and I'll have the Quad there to recover them. I'll just wait until the hot weather settles down a bit.
wabi

Post by wabi »

When I was younger I was shooting my recurve in the back yard one day. I came to full draw and the bow exploded (for a lack of a better word - that's what it seemed like!).
I was shooting one moment and the next I was standing there with a painful welt up across my belly and chest, a madly vibrating bow in my hand, and .............
where is the arrow???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Those few milliseconds of doubt once reality set in (the arrow was missing!) soon ended as I heard "swissssssshhhhhhhh" and the arrow stuck in the ground mere feet from where I was standing!

Turns out the string I was too frugal to replace broke and somehow launched the arrow almost straight upward.

Lessons learned -
Replace a string whenever it shows any sign of wear!
Never shoot an arrow straight up!
:wink:
wabi
Missin

Post by Missin »

Damn lucky Wabi!

Dash, theres so many variables that could change the results, but i cant wait for them! :D

If you really good with maths you could probably work it out without shooting an arrow if you know your FPS and arrow drop.
Normous

Post by Normous »

wheelie wrote:My luck it would come down and stick in my head! LOL
From a guy who won a truck!!! :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I feel a good 'ol fashioned game of arrow roulette coming on, everyone in? :lol: the one who gets hit makes the most noise :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAQHJjZDq5M
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Dash

Post by Dash »

enormous wrote:
Good point enormous,
With wheelies luck, it would come down and cut the spinal cord of a trophy twelve pointer that was passing through !!! :shock: :lol:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Dash wrote:
enormous wrote:
Good point enormous,
With wheelies luck, it would come down and cut the spinal cord of a trophy twelve pointer that was passing through !!! :shock: :lol:
LOL. Life is one big mountain, long climb up and you feel like you are getting to the top and there is always something to drive you back to the bottom and you start your climb up all over again. Never ends! Never ends!
Kelley

Re: Arrow noise

Post by Kelley »

[quote="wheelie"LOL. Life is one big mountain, long climb up and you feel like you are getting to the top and there is always something to drive you back to the bottom and you start your climb up all over again. Never ends! Never ends![/quote]

I view life a little different than you Wheelie. I see life as mountains and valleys. When I get to the top of the mountain and start down I put the brakes on until I get half way down and then I run like hell until I get at least half way back up the other side I then climb back to the top of the mountain and do it all over again.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire