Rage broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

charlessayer

Rage broadheads

Post by charlessayer »

I am shooting a Pheonix w/ Rage 3 blade broadheads. I have shot 2 buck at 15 yards or less and have not had either arrow completly pass through. Both deer were broadside and shot in the ribs behind the front shoulder w/ the arrow just comming out behind the stomach. My questian is: Is anyone having the same problem with deflection w/ the rage broadheads? I am seriously concidering going back to fixed heads, but hate to give up the accuracy and cutting diameter of the mechanical head. Just a footnote; both deer did expire between 20 and 80 yards of were they were shot. Thanks for letting me bend your ear.
georgiaboy

Re: Rage broadheads

Post by georgiaboy »

I shot a small hog this year at 22yds with the rage two blade...slightly quartering to me but not much, no pass through and no blood trail !!
Two day's later my nephew had a hog broadside...same results !!!
I switched back to my spitfire mechs and dropped two hogs...a small boar in his tracks and a 140lb boar that only went 50yds!!!
Good Luck !!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The deer I shot this year 20 yards broadside had the Rage 3 blade pass through the upper leg bones & passthrough. It was a small deer but still impressive to me. I never found my arrow as their was corn on the other side of the deer.

Here is the pic,

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Normous

Post by Normous »

My Equinox has downed 8 or 9 deer with the Rage 3 since they came out. All were complete pass through. Ribs and shoulder bone got shattered along the way and I had to dig my arrow out of the ground from some of the treestand shots. Not one deer made it 50 yards and each fell within sight.

My experience with the Rage 3 has been 100%, maybe the extra KE produced by the Equinox and the little modifications I have done to speed things up to 362 FPS assisted as well, I'm sure.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

enormous wrote:My Equinox has downed 8 or 9 deer with the Rage 3 since they came out. All were complete pass through. Ribs and shoulder bone got shattered along the way and I had to dig my arrow out of the ground from some of the treestand shots. Not one deer made it 50 yards and each fell within sight.

My experience with the Rage 3 has been 100%, maybe the extra KE produced by the Equinox and the little modifications I have done to speed things up to 362 FPS assisted as well, I'm sure.

How did you speed the Equinox up to 362 and not shoot less than 350 grains. :o
Tenn.

Equinox
Normous

Post by Normous »

Teflon coat the mainframe to reduce friction and fabricate a mild angled shim to increase the forward limb angle.
Last edited by Normous on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its tons of factors that effect pass through shots. I have my ml'er not get pass throughs at 7 yards LOL.

I dont think its the bhead but if you are concerned go back to the fixed heads. All hits I have seen on the rage heads have been massive though 8)
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I don't have experience with the 3 blade Rage but I do shoot the 2 blade Rage.

I have gotten massive blood trails with the 2 blades on both deer that I took using them.
One was a double lunger and the other a heart shot and they both sprayed blood all over the place.
Both shot from my Vortex.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
shortylamont

Post by shortylamont »

I shoot 2 blade rage with my hoyt,,massive massive blood trails but I haven't shot them from my exocet yet. can't wait to see how they pattern
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

do you use rubber bands on the rage or shoot them right out of the box thats alot of force id be scared the rage would pre open
Normous

Post by Normous »

Wheelie here on the forum demonstrated how he uses a dental elastic over the upper portion of the exposed blades. This prevent accidental opening while in transport or being removed from the quiver. I used this extra elastic this year for the first time.

I emailed Rage about this and they said many do this and it will not cause any deployment concerns.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

the deer i have shot with the fixed bladed slick tricks have left a tennis ball size holes and didn't need to worry bout pre mature opening or not opening on impact like i have read bout them happening....4 deer have dropped within 10/15 seconds each....i try to keep things as simple as i can to eliminate any troubles with any of my equipment by have as less moving junk on my xbow......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.