Hunting Contests

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hoser

Hunting Contests

Post by hoser »

Would like some feedback on a current issue being pushed by animal rights activists in Ottawa -
Do hunting contests (Big Buck, Coyote etc) induce you to hunt?
Do you have any expectation of gain when entering such a contest?

The coyote issue heats up every year at this time and now they are trying a new angle to stop it.
one shot scott

Re: Hunting Contests

Post by one shot scott »

A contest does not make me hunt( i do that all the time :wink: ), it may persuade me to hunt for a more suitable trophy animal though. So from an anti hunting perspective a contest may help..... unless the contest is the number of kills, in which case its most likely because of a overabundance of that targeted species(coyotes). everyone wins.

The anit's will always have something to gripe about. You cant please them. :roll: They will complain about killing yotes until their pet gets snatched or worse, a kid gets attacked.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
lscha

Post by lscha »

Hunting contests don't affect my hunting at all. I like to be in contests just to see how everyone is doing and it would be cool, IF I got a really nice one, to be able to enter it into the contest. The contests just make me feel like I'm hunting WITH people. (which is nice)
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
hoser

Post by hoser »

Well put Ischa. I couldn't agree more.
To One Shot Scott, so true about the anti's. But what we do without them to make us stand up and fight.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

most contests and shows are after the fact... people bring their deer to be scored and placed in a contest to see which one has bragging rights. All are trophys non the less.

as for local big buck contests... again thats for fun and mainly luck on anyones behalf if they win. Hunting is 90% luck anyway. If it does help make people hunt, then more the better. Gets kids out moving instead of sitting infront of a video game!

I hunt because I want to. I enter contests because im always after the biggest buck in the woods. If I get him, I may win a contest.. if not, I dont but I still have 100% pure fun and enjoyment of being in the outdoors for 3months!
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Is there a contest going on in Ottawa area? I see on another site, there is a coyote contest but it is in the U.S. and it is for the number and biggest dog.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hoser..... Are you an animal rights activist ???
Its just that those questions don't sound like they are coming from someone who has anything to do with hunting. Forgive me if I'm wrong here !!!
For me it's like asking a football player why he plays the sport. Does he do it because he loves it, or is winning a medal his only reason he does it.
I'm sure most people here who crossbow hunt love this outdoor sport and have a passion for it, with or without a medal involved.
I love the skill involved in setting up the crossbow and arrow for a quick clean kill, I love the skill involved in tracking, I love the hunt, I love eating quality healthy wild meat rather than fat overfed animals. I enjoy a contest to test your skills too, but its not the reason I do it.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Hey hoser
You have any interests, other than hunting of coarse? You belong to any other hunting forums? You forgot to fill out your profile. You from Arnprior, Ontario? Website yours? You one of the young kids in the picture? Only reason I ask is the way you just joined and question you asked didn't look very good. Kinda put up a red flag. As Dash said, makes you look like a animal rights activist.

"Detective Wheelie" on the job! LOL

Don't think much info is going to be posted on a public form.
Last edited by wheelie on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoser

Post by hoser »

Ok, you guys caught me! I'm absolutely not an animal rights activist. We are, in fact hosting a Coyote registration and weigh-in (aka Contest) at Al's Corner Store for the second year in a row. It started in November & was under the radar of the activists until another came out in the area. Now they're trying to shut us down by interpreting the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Act to suit themselves. They've hired a lawyer & put him on the MNR to enforce this law which prohibits hunting for gain, or inducing someone to hunt for gain.
I was really just trying to confirm what I already knew to prove a point.
I am a women & have duck & goose hunted a couple of times and really enjoyed it, but don't have enough time to really pursue the sport (too busy supporting a business to help other people hunt). Maybe my first successful hunt will give me the fever.
I don't belong to any forums because, again, don't have the time, but I really wish I did. Everyone shares great information.
Thanks for letting me into the group and sharing your thoughts.
It's been a real pleasure.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I will now remove the link. Welcome to the forum hoser,lots of good people here. Just wanted to know all was good. All is good.
Dash

Post by Dash »

No worries hoser, I was just suspicious it was someone trying to get information for the wrong reasons.
Good luck to the continuation of your competition.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have never been interested in hunting (or fishing) contests. The competition seems to distract from the game, so to speak, for me.

It's all about getting outdoors, enjoying everything about the sport that can be experienced, and just having a good time!

Meat and trophies are pleasant benefits, but not necessary for enjoying the experience.
wabi