BH choice for a noob

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TonyBanks

BH choice for a noob

Post by TonyBanks »

Dear all,
as I stated in an earlier post, I'm returning as a virtual noob to archery. Ialso like to keep my gear VERY simple. I do not have access to a bow shop so any advice I get has to be from the internet/overseas calls, and now thank goodness, on this forum. Procuring gear is an issue for me in the country I'm in, so it's not a simple case of me stepping into the local shop to look over and chat about the latest gear and walk out with something to try out. I have to very carefully select what I am going to buy, because having it brought in is sometimes a drama. Well, here's my question. Given that I hate tinkering/am not technically inclined, what would be the best BH (fixed would be simpler-hybrid Bloodrunner 3 blades do look interesting, though) choice for me considering the following:
1. I shoot a Vortex and will purchase either an Ibex or Vixen II next
2. I plan mainly to hunt deer/hogs
3. I have two other vertical bows; a 23 Magnum (80lb) designed specifically for the draw loc, both from Hickory Creek and a new Bowtech Assasin (55lb).
Now, IF I could get a BH which would work well in both my vertical bows AND my Vortex/Ibex/Vixen, I would be a VERY happy man. It would mean that I have complete interchangeabilty with my BHs across the range of my gear. That is very important to me. Is there any chance of that happening? Being a virtual noob, I sometimes wonder is it really critical to be so absolutely precise about matching BH/arrows to specific bows? If, for example I could shoot Slick Tricks 100 grain or 125 grain BH's out of my Excal Xbows, could they work with good practical field/hunting accuracy out of my vertical bows too? Or would they just be all over the target? Do I need a dedicated, heavy Xbow specific BH like the Slick Trick designed for Xbows or the Boltcutter, and choose soething lighter for my vetical bows or could I get one type to work across systems? Your thoughts/advice is sought. It would really help me out.
Best wishes,
Tony Banks
Dash

Re: BH choice for a noob

Post by Dash »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=36839
Hi Mate,
check out the above link to see what some of the other members use. It'll give you an idea why they like what they use.
Fixed or mechanical is a highly debated topic, but one quality broadhead for different weight excal crossbow bows shouldn't be a problem. But choosing the right one based on other peoples experience with them isn't easy. We can't afford to test them all until we decide, so it is nessecary to narrow the choice down with other users experience a bit.
Be careful from advice from an archery shop, unless they have a lot of experience with crossbows. I've been given a lot of bad advise that wasn't really suited to modern crossbows. Especially with arrow weights, broadheads, etc. I found typical 2 blade fixed broadheads used with success on a vertical bow don't often fly well from the higher speeds of an excal.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Almost all BH's can be shot by either vertical or horizontal Bows, slick tricks would be fine, the razor trick would be finer than frog hair. Diff between vortex & ibex is 25 lbs less, buy a rail its much cheaper all the way around. Then you could change it out. imo unless the vortex is getting too hard on you to cock then the ibex is setting down in power unless yer selling the vortex to buy the ibex. vixen is regular stock & a great model keep yer game with-in 35 yds with enuff arrow/BH weight it will do the job & its my personal favorite model :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

The choices for broadheads are numerous to say the least.
I've been shooting the 2 blade Rage from my coumpound bow and my Vortex with great results from both bows.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
WTB

Post by WTB »

I shoot a Vortex w/FF string and firebolts. Vortex Pro-Extreme 125gr served me well this year with 5 Texas Whitail all with recoveries under 50yards.

I just edited this post as I first wrote (6) My sixth whitetail was with a 308

VORTEX FOR MY VORTEX!!
Last edited by WTB on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Tony . . .I would use a 100 grain broadhead. It would be most likely to satisfy your requirements. I would also use a mechanical because they are easier, much easier. They are more accurate in hunting conditions, faster, deadlier, bigger . . .the fixed blade broadheads have no advantage over the mechanicals when it comes to actually killing a deer. Use them or before long you will be technically inclined, but, still hate tinkering. Get a broadhead with three blades of 1.5 or 1.75 inch cutting diamenter.

The recommendations come with assumptions. I'm guessing you are not killing 300# deer or 900# pigs.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:Tony . . .I would use a 100 grain broadhead. It would be most likely to satisfy your requirements. I would also use a mechanical because they are easier, much easier. They are more accurate in hunting conditions, faster, deadlier, bigger . . .the fixed blade broadheads have no advantage over the mechanicals when it comes to actually killing a deer. Use them or before long you will be technically inclined, but, still hate tinkering. Get a broadhead with three blades of 1.5 or 1.75 inch cutting diamenter.

The recommendations come with assumptions. I'm guessing you are not killing 300# deer or 900# pigs.
I agree. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Big D

Post by Big D »

nap Spitfire or rage 2 blade would work great 100 or 125. Fly great and over 32 deer between the 2.

GOD bless Big D
shortylamont

Post by shortylamont »

I shoot a two blade rage from my hoyt...What are the chances that the rage bh will open early when shot from my exocet...has anybody ever had a problem with this happening?
Big D

Post by Big D »

You definitely want to make sure that the to blades are in the o rings. I shoot the rage 2 blade out of my equinox and can not say they ever opened; however, I have always been concerned that it could happen.

Big D
hawg hunter

Post by hawg hunter »

Welcome. eliminate all of your varibles and shoot fixed broadheads Slicks or montec . Less problems , will shoot accuratly on all game large or small and wil lsave you a bunch of money experimenting.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I considered a fixed head 2 years ago. One of my friends shoot slicks the other strikers both small fixed heads out of excaliburs. Both of these heads flew CLOSE to field points buy not exact like my rage do. I just don't like the idea of having to change my scope even slightly for broadheads. I tested the rage practice head after using a field point and it went in the same exact hole. I really do not think you could do that with any fixed head maybe close but not the same hole. I know some might not be that picky about accuracy and have great success hunting with fixed heads.I just like to be as accurate and confident as possible before geeting in my stand.

GOD bless BiG D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

shortylamont wrote:I shoot a two blade rage from my hoyt...What are the chances that the rage bh will open early when shot from my exocet...has anybody ever had a problem with this happening?
I'm shooting a Vortex and have never had one open in flight.
I always check often to be sure the blades are still secured by the o-ring.
Some folks put a dental elastic for braces around the front part of the blades for extra insurance.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads