HSS Vest

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

HSS Vest

Post by BryanOney »

Going to purchase a HSS vest to be more safe while using my climber. I wear a parka while I hunt with a lot of stuff in pockets I like to have access to. Do those of you who use a HSS vest wear it under your coat, or is it a better idea to get a bigger size and go over the coat.
agingcrossbower

Re: HSS Vest

Post by agingcrossbower »

I believe they are made to fit under.
suzyandal

Post by suzyandal »

It goes under your coat. This is the best investment you will ever make, you will wonder how you went up a tree without it before.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Another school of thought says it should be worn over your jacket so that you can get at its quick releases in case of an accident. Try getting out of your vest quickly with a full zipped jacket on and your HSS vest under it.
Either way, it is suggested to have a knife handy to cut yourself loose if need be.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'm a pretty big fella and I can wear mine comfortably over top of all my bulky winter hunting clothes without any problem.
I have also had it on over my sweatshirt and put my parka on over it when the weather has turned cold in the evening.
Seemed safer than taking the harness off to put my coat on then putting the harness back on.
If you go with the HSS system familiarize yourself the the trauma relief strap.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
secret

Post by secret »

I know these vests save your life but the only problem i have with the design is that in the invent of a fall you are not facing the tree! Hunting by yourself you cant even get down buy hugging the tree i seen pictures of a man that died in on of these style harness and he was just hanging there.Back in the early 80,s a platform got out from under me...if it wasnt for the fact that i could spin on my extenders and face the tree..grasp the tree ..release my safety ...and slowly slide down...That same exact thing would have happened.These new center of the back designs only work if there is another person there to save you! and they better not be to far away because the blood that gets trapped in your legs will kill you first.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

The HSS is a nice outfit but I use the Summit's Seat of the Pants and it fits well under your jacket with out any bulk, or uncomfy feeling of being strapped in. Check them out you maybe surprised...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Regardless how you wear it (I wear mine outside), how it's ADJUSTED is more important than getting at it, cutting yourself down. The retainer strap, from vest to the tree, should be adjusted so that in case of fall one can still get back on the stand. One can easily die from suspension asphyxiation when hanging for less than half hour. That said, there is another option. This one lets you down with a tug of the strap. Would have bought it , were it available when I purchased the
vest.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/m ... x?a=568509
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I recently bought a HSS barebones style harness with the regular shoulder straps (I didn't want the whole vest with the pockets, etc.) Works great when I put it on right (Ken/UncleFester was there to share a laugh the first time I tried to put it on before a hunt :oops: ) I love being able to unbuckle at the legs - handy for when I need to "go".

As for potential falls - I always have a sharp knife where I can reach it, a fox40 whistle, and my cell phone in my pocket.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My hunting buddy fell from his stand early this fall. After hanging from it for a while and not being able to get back on, he hit the ground hard.
Result: Shattered both knees, several months in hosp and nursing home rehab. He's fighting a staph infection-for his life-at this very moment. Long story short: Use a safety device and adjust it so you can get back onto the stand if you fall. Cutting yourself down still results in a fall.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
LUDDY

Post by LUDDY »

Cossack wrote:Regardless how you wear it (I wear mine outside), how it's ADJUSTED is more important than getting at it, cutting yourself down. The retainer strap, from vest to the tree, should be adjusted so that in case of fall one can still get back on the stand. One can easily die from suspension asphyxiation when hanging for less than half hour. That said, there is another option. This one lets you down with a tug of the strap. Would have bought it , were it available when I purchased the
vest.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/m ... x?a=568509
X2
God bless
John
2010 Ibex
Groundponder Mount
Firebolts
G5 montecs
Varizone scope
S5 string stop

Remember life is short take somebody hunting
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Cossack wrote:My hunting buddy fell from his stand early this fall. After hanging from it for a while and not being able to get back on, he hit the ground hard.
Result: Shattered both knees, several months in hosp and nursing home rehab. He's fighting a staph infection-for his life-at this very moment. Long story short: Use a safety device and adjust it so you can get back onto the stand if you fall. Cutting yourself down still results in a fall.
Agreed. I have my harness adjusted so there is just enough slack for me to sit on the seat.
If I were to fall (knock on wood) my knees would be roughly level with my stand's platform so I should be able to get back on my stand.
I also can reach my screw in steps to turn myself around to face the tree and the suspension trauma relief strap is always in the pocket of my harness as well.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I bought a HSS Pro series vest before this season. I wear it on the outside of my hunting clothes. I can understand the concern of falling and being stuck facing away from the tree. If you fall from your stand and find yourself dangling well below the platform with your back to the tree then you've done a terrible job of attaching yourself to the tree. I attach my safety strap well above my head on the tree. If I lean far enough forward in my stand my strap is tight. If I fall I doubt if my butt will drop below the platform much less my head.

While I'm seated in my stands if I can lean forward and reach down and touch the front of my platform, then my safety strap isn't high enough or the tether is too long.

Not only do I not want to fall 20 feet, I don't even want to fall 3 feet. The HSS Pro series vest comes with a safety strap that you are supposed to be able to use to 'stand up' and relieve the pressure of the straps on your inner thigh if you found yourself in a dangling situation. If you attach your tree strap appropriately, the only time you will use that strap is for its alternate use; a deer drag.

FWIW, the HSS Pro Series vest I purchased is the best deer drag I have ever owned. :lol: I hunt a good portion of the season from the ground. I have all of my gear in the vest and since it doubles as my deer dragging harness I'm always wearing it even when I'm not planning on leaving the ground.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: