Wheres the old timers?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Wheres the old timers?

Post by Doe Master »

There are two people that come to mind . That I personally miss with their posts . DIGGER and GARYL .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

awshucks wrote:This seems as good a time and place as any. I'm on a self imposed break. I still peruse the forum and occasionally fire off a pm once in a while.

Believe it or not, I got my 1st computer just to come on this forum back in late '05 or early '06. I wanted to do some research on an idea I'd sent Bill. You see, I didn't want to step on any ones toes, so to speak. I just knew somebody had done it before me and shared the idea, but was wrong.

As I read page after page of thread after thread, and found other forums [like a kid in a candy store] I came to realize how different this one is/was. I came to really love it and all the friends I made that I never met, and some I did.

To this day, I can't recall anyone having so much as a harsh word for me, and for that I thank you cause I'm sure I asked for it a time or two. That may change w/ this post of course.

To put it in a nut shell, some things just got too painful for me to watch or take part in. My problem, not yours, I know. Have fun!
People like you are the reason this forum is what it is Dan, always first in line to help straighten out a guy with questions and take the time to make sure that it is understood. You have more knowledge than most others combined and I have hundreds and hundreds of pages of that knowledge printed and saved in my safe, I reference it frequently.
The forum will keep moving on, and a whole lot of what gets posted here is based on what you have shared over the years. You have a way of describing things that a lot of us lack, and more importantly you did it time and time again, even though the same questions were asked almost daily. Thanks for everything you have shared, and thanks for being big enough to stick around as long as you did, many lesser men caved long ago.
Sucks to hear you wont be around as much, and I certainly noticed your absence, but it is nice to know that when a good answer is needed, I can just call.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

You are one among the MANY who I refer to 'shucks. Glad to see ya post. Hope you dont mind but I took a quote from ya:
awshucks wrote:To this day I can't recall anyone having so much as a harsh word for me, and for that I thank you cause I'm sure I asked for it a time or two.
Thats pretty much what it comes down to. Couldnt have said it better. On almost all of the forums I visit I am really taken back with the lack of respect that members give eachother sometimes. 98% of the time this place is very respectful and its by far the best of the bunch. Take the "paying it back" thread. Thats some impressive stuff! Good to see people helping people. But there are members who are missing still because of a lack of respect. If and when they ever return I hope they dont get blasted away again.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Awshucks has been a very good friend to me as well. I'm new here in the grand scheme, but Shucks PM'd me a couple times with some great advice and info. Class act. Glad he isn't gone, just cruising for a while.
Hopefully the others you miss will be back as well One shot............
In the Wind.......
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

I will have to second that in regards to Mr. Awshucks. I'm a new guy here also and have learned a ton from reading posts from you older/more experienced fellas. Awshucks (Dan) PM'd me a couple of times as well with some very useful info and a bit of advice and it was very much appreciated. He didn't have to do that....but he did.
DEO VINDICE
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Any advice from the so called (old timer's) is very much appreciated on this end!!!
Although I'm not new to crossbows I am new to excals and I have learned ton's on this forum!!!
I know it's frustrating when you ansewer the same question about a hundred time's!!
Thank's Guy's!!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Dash

Post by Dash »

Well before I became a member, I was reading a lot of old posts, trying to absorb as much information as possible before making my desicion on buying the right crossbow. It blew me away, the wealth of information available by past and present members. Between all of your posts there's almost nothing I couldn't find an answer to !!!
This was also the first site of this type that I came across, where people were'nt attacked by fellow members for thinking a bit differently. Like has been said by others, mutual respect like on this forum, is something of a rarity these days. It's the people here that make this site what it is.(Except for the oxygen thief scum of the earth spammers :evil: )
I've browsed other forums, but this is the first forum I've sighned up to ever.
I Hope it doesn't change.
Missin

Post by Missin »

Geez Dash, you have to stop being nasty to these spammers. I like reading about mattresses and blueberry bags. I really loved reading about tod's shoes earlier today :lol:

On the subject though, i dont know where the old fella's have gone but i do know they havent been replaced by idiots and this forum is still as great as the day i found it, pity it wasnt sooner .
LUDDY

Post by LUDDY »

I have to say I am fairly new to this forum but they welcomed me with open arms. I find all the information on here very helpful and a special thanks to Dan (awshucks) and Pyd Piper they took time to pm with advice that helped extremely for the other people I do not Know but if they are like all the other great people on here I hope they come back.

Be Safe & God Bless
John
2010 Ibex
Groundponder Mount
Firebolts
G5 montecs
Varizone scope
S5 string stop

Remember life is short take somebody hunting
strum

Post by strum »

since im still new (came in in sept 10) i dont know all the old timers..but i have seen some guys i realy liked stop posting.. :(
Its still a great forum and i have learned a lot.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

planter wrote: If he ever comes back to Massachusetts I'm gonna make him eat clams and lobsters. :x :twisted:
Don't throw me in that briar patch, you crazy old coot. :lol:

I'll be back . . .just a matter of when . . .pretty country up there.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

This forum has changed or should I say evolved. Having joined in 2001, even before the start of this present forum, I'm one of the original and founding members. Over the past decade, I've seen an awful lot of water passing under the bridge. After seeing hundreds of members come and go, I've come to the realization that there comes a time that, for the sake of one's sanity, it is best to take a break or even move on to newer pastures.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Missin

Post by Missin »

I have a new theory. The past members are the ones trying to sell us latex mattresses, memory foam, mulberry bags and TOD's shoes. :lol:

If the old members are here though i would like it if they did post on the boards and not answer questions through PM. If its in a PM then the wisdom isnt there for others to see and to be shared. As with most people alot of my questions are answered just by reading old and current posts.
jetnet22

Post by jetnet22 »

wow..didn't know there was such a thing :shock:
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

I really haven't posted much in the last few months. I am not one of the oldtimers here, only been around about a year. It seemed for a while there were alot of people jumping on myself or others for sharing an opinion or their own experiences. Not going into specifics but I understand not everyone will agree on everything but I would never jump on someone who has a different view than me. For me I prefer to read the forum mostly every day, just sometimes don't feel like posting.

One person here that I miss reading is Boo. I purchased one of his strings last year at the Sportsmens Show in Toronto after having my pheonix for about a month. I asked him for a few pointers. Without knowing me at all he PM'd me a lengthy note on how to set it up and all the do and don'ts. It was an enormus help to me. I have to figure with how busy that guy must be yet he took the time to help someone he doesn't even know!!

Anyways, Boo if you're out there, Thanks!! Hope to see your posts on here once again!! As well as some of the other guys that have faded over time you are all part of the reason I still read this forum almost every day! :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings