Strong Deer (Deer that get away after a solid hit)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

Re: Strong Deer (Deer that get away after a solid hit)

Post by bob1961 »

crazyfarmer wrote:also keep in mind how far a deer can get in 3-10 seconds in a full all out death run! Even on a heart shot...
my doe i hit at 10 yards ran full throttle 450 yards, but died within 20 seconds....tracks in the snow showed her stride's were almost 20 feet apart from point of impact to beaver pond we found her in :shock: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Here's the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wYy9H7Fjg
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Thanks for the link peter p. That buck acted as if nothing was going on at all, just a normal day at the feeder.

I wish they had discussed the reason for the buck to have survived what looked like a(as they put it) perfect shot. I tried to "slow mo" the video, and it looked like it was angled forward and the POI was also forward. When they show the buck with the blood, that's the POI side and it looks like a good hit. When the buck is on the ground, he points to the second hole (that isn't his), but, I really couldn't tell where he was pointing exactly and I could only see one hole.

That was wild . . .a deer shouldn't go that far . . .that's typically where I aim. :shock: Well, if the angle is right.

**edit. . .OK, after a second look, the exit hole looked low, didn't it?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

sumner4991 wrote:.OK, after a second look, the exit hole looked low, didn't it?
The more I watch Travis's shot, the more I'm amazed that deer wasn't dead quicker. If you compare his entrance hole with the exit, I can't see how he missed the heart. The entrance was 5-6" up from the bottom of the chest and close behind the shoulder. The far leg was forward on the shot, so the exit was in the arm pit area about 2-3" up from the bottom. Even a 3/4" broadhead should have put that buck on the ground quickly.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

luck was on that bucks side until he decided to walk by another bone collector... he wasnt as lucky the 2nd time hahaha. Maybe someone pushed that deer to soon. Its hard to say what they dont show on camera
Missin

Post by Missin »

That is crazy. That first shot looked perfect to me. The second shot didnt look far from that. I guess only they will ever know what happened, when they gutted it and looked at what if any vitals the first shot hit.