Do crossbows shoot bolts or arrows?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

secret

Re: Do crossbows shoot bolts or arrows?

Post by secret »

Arrows......Nock...3 vanes.....broadhead..... If thats the case why are 12 guage pointed slugs not called bullets? And why are pointed blackpowder rounds called sabots?
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
casper

Post by casper »

I'll end this right now. A bolt or arrow will always turn into a quarrel. :lol:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I believe they shoot arrowed bolts.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Crossbows shoot arrows.

Vertical bows shoot arrows.

That's what makes them both archery equipment.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
strum

Post by strum »

one shot scott wrote:I believe they shoot arrowed bolts.
i was in a hurry once so i had to BOLT downstairs.,,grab my crossbow and my arrows er bolts er arrows er whatever they were ,
got in my truck went huntin killed er harvested a deer and he couldnt tell me what i hit em with either :wink:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
jacob321

Post by jacob321 »

arrows!!!
Check out www.thecrossbowstore.com for Excalibur Crossbows.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

They are certainly arrows.

Sure, the manufacturers call them "bolts" . . .verture to guess why? It's because at the time they decided to cross the archery lines and produce crossbow arrows, they were afraid of upsetting the vertical customers. Didn't want some kind of boycott. I thought it was a very clever marketing scheme . . .and it worked.

It worked so well, that people don't even know an arrow when they see one. :lol:

Even the definition of "bolt" is "arrow".

The only reason I call them arrows is because of the anti-crossbow crowd. The guys that claim a crossbow isn't a bow because it shoots a "bolt". :roll:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Stash

Post by Stash »

Do you seriously think what you call them makes the slightest difference to an anti-crossbower? I mean, really....

Hater: "I hate crossbows and don't think they should be allowed in archery season."
Supporter: "Why not?"
Hater: "Because they shoot bolts, not arrows."
Supporter: "No, they shoot arrows, like regular bows, just a bit shorter with a different nock."
Hater: "Oh, OK then, I didn't know that. Now I don't hate crossbows any more."
maple

Post by maple »

I call them both, or either.

Maple
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

planter wrote:This topic is festering like the boil on my butt. :shock: It will never be resolved and it will never matter. :D Call them whatever you like and I will still know what you mean. :wink: Unless you call them Quarrels............
A boil on yer butt...sounds painful.
You should pierce it with an arrow...I mean bolt...or whatever it's called!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Excalibur calls them arrows.

Dont know about the other bow manufacturers or ARROW suppliers. Dont really care either. Just another useless debate about terminology. Im so mad I could cry. Pass the kleenex, opps I mean "facial tissue". Im so mad I could spit on my computer screen. Pass the windex, opps i meant "glass cleaner" :roll:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Stash wrote:Do you seriously think what you call them makes the slightest difference to an anti-crossbower? I mean, really....
Yes . . .it actually does . . .the conversation doesn't go exactly as you envision.

Everyone here needs to experience the B.S. the anticrossbow crowd throws at the uneducated. You got to understand, our hunting rules and regulations are largely voted upon by a group of political non-archery hunters(if hunters at all). They rarely do the research to know if a crossbow is a bow or a gun. The biggest line of crap the antis throw out there is, "it's a gun, you hold it like a gun, it's a gun . . .it doesn't even shoot arrows, it shoots bolts, more like bullets".

Please use the term, arrows.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

planter wrote:I would pierce my boil with an arrow J.Krug but I'm not sure if I should used a fixed coc BH or a mechanical. It's not a really big boil so I'm not sure I need a head with a 2 inch cutting diameter.
Tell you what .. How about you pierce it for me?? :?
Heck a field point will probably do then!
Not sure I should do it though cuz I'm not very steady without a shooting rest!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

To bolt or not to bolt, that is the question I asked myself before posting this. Man we must be bored, hunting better start soon before we start to argue about whether arrows are bolts or bolts are arrows, aw crap, to late :D :D :D I think, sorry, contemplate, that this isue, I mean debate, is just about at its end, maybe, might be, arghhhhh. love this forum. lots of fun when were bored. :lol: :lol: :lol: bill
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
NHmsj

Post by NHmsj »

Hello All! First time poster here from NH. Interesting thread. Words are important most times, we rely on them to communicate, and hopefully, in clear, unconfused ways. So, my two cents worth:

Crossbows shoot arrows, and of course, they can shoot bolts, too. As for me, since I have had no occasion yet to defeat any armor, I have never shot a bolt out of my crossbow. However, since I do hunt with my crossbow, I have shot many arrows out of it. And while we're on the topic of mincing words, please note I said I shoot my crossbow. Since it is, in fact, archery tackle, I have never fired my crossbow, or any of my bows - recurves or compounds. Unless I am trying to set ablaze someone's fortifications or dwellings or, perhaps, send up a signal with a fire arrow (not bolt), fire is something I do not want associated with my bow. Bows are not firearms and, therefore, are not fired, they cannot be fired, they are simply shot. So, whether one is shooting an arrow or shooting a bolt (of course, don't known why anyone would shoot a bolt nowadays) it's all archery with no "firing" involved.

I know, it's a bit off topic, but "firing" a bow is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Seemed like a good a time as any to blather about it.

msj