lets show Excalibur our opinions on spam

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

do we need "bouncers" to deal with spam?

YES - the sooner the better!
82%
Lets wait a while.
8%
These clowns posting matress adds are good for the economy.
2%
Don't know - don't care.
8%

Total votes: 61

Dash

Re: lets show Excalibur our opinions on spam

Post by Dash »

one shot scott wrote:bouners with the power only to bounce spam, not moderate members would increase the look of the forum and take some of the burden off "the dude".
I agree with scott. Someone to help "the dude"would be better for this forum. This is meant to be the excalibur forum, not a garage sale for every man and his dog. A bouncer logging on at different times than the dude, would minimize the advertizements exposure, making it not worthwhile, and maybe deter new buisinesses looking to do this. The bouncer would be doing excalibur a service. Definately worth a sugestion to Bill. I'm sure Bill & Co they're sick of these ads taking over thier forum too.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I think the dilemma is how to get someone the power to deal with spam only if you can block a spammer you can block a member and accidents happen.
I would like to see it happen but
Tenpoint Matrix
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Dereck wrote:I think the dilemma is how to get someone the power to deal with spam only if you can block a spammer you can block a member and accidents happen.
I would like to see it happen but
I think you have it right on the money Dereck. The forum software will not differentiate between a "moderator" and a "bouncer", they are both made up terms, you have access or you don't.

What makes this forum different than most others is that it is a company with a forum, the person with the moderating powers would have access to things that belong to the company, I am guessing that is why there is no third party intervention.
It is all a moot point now, as expected it is being fixed, and we didn't even have to get out our pitchforks and torches, go figure.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Trading post is full of it. Never checked to see if it was reported or not. Few other forums I vist and they are having to change there signup question to stall them for a bit. Be a hard thing to stop. The new way since they have new laws again junk mail, this sort of thing will take over. Get used to it I suppose. I was one that voted Don't know, Don't care.

May need some land in Punta Cana to become the hunted. Now that would be exciting! I would get on my Iphone and call the wife that I got hit. I would likely need a mattress then also because I am to broke to afford a casket. Wife gets remarried and they have a stag party for her new husband. See how nicely they all tye in together in the hunting world? LOL

oh shoot, better get a new will, don't want him driving my bikes and using my weapons.... hmmmmmm
mikej

Post by mikej »

i agree wabi , i'll even volunteer to be one of these spam "bouncers", i don't post much but i'm in everyday so if nobody else wants to do it i'll look after it . it's getting sickening and really takes the enjoyment out of coming here, the sooner something can be done the better.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The problem with a bouncer would be that some might get power hungry. If what Pydpiper said is true and a bouncer would have the same powers as the moderators then the temptaion could be there to abuse the powers.
A classic case of damned if you do, damned if you dont :shock:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
TPM

Post by TPM »

Maybe we should write letters to Excalibur and tell them how they are letting us down, for the money we have to pay to participate in this forum we should only have the best of what they have to offer. I bet they just love that they are spending money on a forum not only to be hit with mattress adds, but then to get bitched at by a bunch of people who have absolutely no monetary investment in the forum they use as a platform to complain.
Maybe we can bog down their phone lines too, call them and tell them how unhappy we are that they are doing us a disservice to us by not employing someone to babysit the forum, or just call Peter himself and remind him that his real job of a marketing representative comes second to looking after this forum. How dare he try to do his actual job.
Or, just maybe, we should just sit back and let them take care of it, like they always do.
This is the most ridiculous f'ing thread I have seen on this forum in my days here.
Just sayin.
I think you have to keep in mind that this forum is an integral part of Excalibur's website and very much is a part of their marketing. It's not just a subsidized sandbox for us to play in but a part of Excal's business that offers Excal owners, or those thinking of buying, an opportunity to express and share thoughts and idea's about all that is crossbows. It's a very symbiotic relationship that benefits both us as owners and members and Excalibur as a business. I think we as members have a responsibility to keep things civil and Excalibur as a business would want to keep this marketing tool as clean and professional looking as the rest of their business. I'm in no way knocking Peter, I know he is a very busy guy and I'm sure that no one wants to see this spam issue disappear more than him. I also see nothing wrong with members of this forum wanting to keep this site looking good, clean and professional for both current members and prospective new ones.
Just my 2 cents... :?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
AndreTTOW

Post by AndreTTOW »

One of the best business forums I'm a member of is forums.sitesell.com and they are completely volunteer moderated.

The business, Sitesell, picks the moderators and gives them guidelines, they have strict rules and it works. Flaming is practically nil...and put out once it starts.

Could be a great option...especially considering the size of this forum.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)
Mechanical Advantage

Post by Mechanical Advantage »

Well said TPM.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

wabi wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Maybe we should write letters to Excalibur and tell them how they are letting us down, for the money we have to pay to participate in this forum we should only have the best of what they have to offer. I bet they just love that they are spending money on a forum not only to be hit with mattress adds, but then to get bitched at by a bunch of people who have absolutely no monetary investment in the forum they use as a platform to complain.
Maybe we can bog down their phone lines too, call them and tell them how unhappy we are that they are doing us a disservice to us by not employing someone to babysit the forum, or just call Peter himself and remind him that his real job of a marketing representative comes second to looking after this forum. How dare he try to do his actual job.
Or, just maybe, we should just sit back and let them take care of it, like they always do.
This is the most ridiculous f'ing thread I have seen on this forum in my days here.
Just sayin.
You seem to relish in taking pot shots at me!
Any chance to say something derogatory toward me and you jump at it.

Enjoy the forum - I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To quote a man that was so ellaquent with words but yet I only remember one he said "SAD" (Mike P)
Why ride when you can walk!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Its a shame that we let the spammers have even a small victory. The ability to reduce our respect towards one another and numbers in some way do to thier post. That the shame of it all.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!