lets show Excalibur our opinions on spam

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

do we need "bouncers" to deal with spam?

YES - the sooner the better!
82%
Lets wait a while.
8%
These clowns posting matress adds are good for the economy.
2%
Don't know - don't care.
8%

Total votes: 61

wabi

lets show Excalibur our opinions on spam

Post by wabi »

I know I'm sick of sorting through the spam the forum is flooded with!
If something isn't done soon I may just take the forum out of my favorites and move on.

I sent Peter a PM suggesting one to three trusted forum members be empowered as "bouncers".
NOT MODERATORS! No interference in discussions between forum members, just to remove obvious spam posts ASAP.
wabi
SPITFIRE

Re: lets show Excalibur our opinions on spam

Post by SPITFIRE »

x2
I am a hunter and proud of it.
the elf

Post by the elf »

It has quickly become a major pain in the A--;as well as wasting space on this site.These
people really want to impress---but are doing just the opposite---probably being done by people with sub par intelligence---like a little kid yelling look at me---look at me. Peter
has far too many normal duties to do some extra policing; so---yes we need something
done by us. If something is removed by mistake---then let Peter handle it----but we all know
what is garbage and what is not.The best thing is to ignore them for now until a more permanent solution can be made---and do not reply to any of their posts.
:x :x :x :x :x :x .
Tom

Post by Tom »

I know that Spam is troublesome and time consuming for the site moderators. All of us have to deal with them. Also this is not the only site that is hit with spam, they are all hit, so it does not really matter what site you decide to go to other then this site you will still get them on the forum.

To be honestly frank ........ If dealing with spam is the most troublesome thing you have to deal with, then you need to say a prayer and thank your god. I deal with it just like you do but I just pass over it (after making sure it has been reported to Peter) and go to the next thread. Doing this does not cause me any money and maybe just another second of time. My suggestion is to just ignore and pass over them, then onto the next one. The more you complain about them the more they will bother you.

About Bouncers or other site garbage men/women to look after these can provide problems. I have been to sites that went from no outside moderators or helpers to having them and there seemed to be jealousy afterwords which seemed to cause tension on the site. I know cause I was a helper on that site. Plus there is a factor that or a legal matter. Would someone which is acting on behalf of the moderators be part of the company's responsibilities. See it is not as cut and dry as you might think.

For me, EVEN WITH THE SPAM PROBLEM, this is still the best most friendly site on the internet. Just ignore it and move onto the next thread.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I wish the spam wasn't there but it really doesn't bother me or have any affect on my visits to this site.
I simply scroll on past it to the posts that I want to check out.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

what powers do/will they have....total account termination of spammers, just deleteing threads will be just wasted work for them....as one of there posts is deleted they WILL pop a new one up........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'm no expert on internet forum software but I really have to say this forum seems to be particularily vulnerable to spammers. I'm a regular on at least two other hunting related forums and neither have had the problem we've had here lately. One forum has a lot of traffic also, over 70,000 registered members, but spam on there is VERY rare. Another is probably equal in size and traffic to this forum and in the 6 years I've been a part of that forum I've NEVER seen a lick of spam on it. Again, I'm no expert but there has to be a way to control it.
Another note, I don't recall this happening with our old forum software... :?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

bouners with the power only to bounce spam, not moderate members would increase the look of the forum and take some of the burden off "the dude".
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

Like TPM said , I go on a lot of archery- crossbow-hunting-gun forums and never seen anything like it is on this forum. I do bypass them but when you see 8 in a row - THATS RIDICULOUS. Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Asked this question awhile back and got no response.
Tenpoint Matrix
Silver_Fox

Post by Silver_Fox »

I talked to the Excalibur Rep at the expo this weekend and they are also very concerned about it. They say they are trying to cut down the spammers but are having a tough time controlling it.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Maybe we should write letters to Excalibur and tell them how they are letting us down, for the money we have to pay to participate in this forum we should only have the best of what they have to offer. I bet they just love that they are spending money on a forum not only to be hit with mattress adds, but then to get bitched at by a bunch of people who have absolutely no monetary investment in the forum they use as a platform to complain.
Maybe we can bog down their phone lines too, call them and tell them how unhappy we are that they are doing us a disservice to us by not employing someone to babysit the forum, or just call Peter himself and remind him that his real job of a marketing representative comes second to looking after this forum. How dare he try to do his actual job.
Or, just maybe, we should just sit back and let them take care of it, like they always do.
This is the most ridiculous f'ing thread I have seen on this forum in my days here.
Just sayin.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

wabi

Post by wabi »

Pydpiper wrote:Maybe we should write letters to Excalibur and tell them how they are letting us down, for the money we have to pay to participate in this forum we should only have the best of what they have to offer. I bet they just love that they are spending money on a forum not only to be hit with mattress adds, but then to get bitched at by a bunch of people who have absolutely no monetary investment in the forum they use as a platform to complain.
Maybe we can bog down their phone lines too, call them and tell them how unhappy we are that they are doing us a disservice to us by not employing someone to babysit the forum, or just call Peter himself and remind him that his real job of a marketing representative comes second to looking after this forum. How dare he try to do his actual job.
Or, just maybe, we should just sit back and let them take care of it, like they always do.
This is the most ridiculous f'ing thread I have seen on this forum in my days here.
Just sayin.
You seem to relish in taking pot shots at me!
Any chance to say something derogatory toward me and you jump at it.

Enjoy the forum - I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My post was about complaining, not an individual.
Whatever.
You seem to relish in taking pot shots at me!
Any chance to say something derogatory toward me and you jump at it.

Enjoy the forum - I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string