Vortex at 50 yards

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FLA-XBOW

Vortex at 50 yards

Post by FLA-XBOW »

Im a new vortex owner and fell in love with it. But for some reason it shoots perfect up to 40 yards but at 50 it shoots the right elevation but about 5 inches to the right. Any suggestions?

Excalibur Vortex
Rage 125 grain 2 blade
FIREBOLT carbon bolts
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
TPM

Re: Vortex at 50 yards

Post by TPM »

Your scope may be rotated slightly clockwise.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
masboy

Post by masboy »

i would check scope crosshairs by putting level across riser making sure bow is level then hang weight on string at 50 yd target an line up crosshairs on string while keeping bow level.if shooting varisone scope parallax is set at 30yds. when shooting 50yds move your head a little bit to left and right while looking thru scope watching crosshair .if you see crosshair move left and right.try to keep cheek same place on stock each shot and try to keep perfect circle around your crosshair as you look thru scope like bore siteing a rifle.i have the same trouble at times. little things show up big time the longer distance you shoot. like wind light conditions. good luck.others on here can help more than i.just saying what works for me.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Sorry dude, but, there is no explaination. Are you saying that it shoots just fine at all yardages other than 50?

You may be sneaking a peek at the arrow in flight and pulling the shot.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Missin

Post by Missin »

Also make sure you are using the cocking rope. As said the further out you go the more all the little stuff comes into play.

Are you using a rest or free hand? I use a sand bag on a bench for practicing 40 and 50 yard shots, and others just to check accuracy. I also try not to free had a 50 yard shot on game and try to find a log or something to rest on. One slight movement at the bow makes a far bit at POI.

Also recommend using the sling if you are shooting free hand. It adds a hell of alot of stability.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Wind conditions, temperature. pressure anything can put it off coarse when the arrow is going a further distance. Have you tried indoors at 50 yards? Take away all the outside elements. My bows can be dead on and go out the next day and it is off. I learned to adjust my shooting rather than adjust the bow. Just a thought. Good luck solving your problem. :) :)
secret

Post by secret »

Clip a bi-pod on stock then see if its shooting off! Level the scope helps alot!!!! You will be surprised that canting your bow just a little thows your bow off alot at those ranges.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If it shoots on under 40 but then starts to wander (assuming wind and cocking aren't factors), I'd start with FOC and size of vanes. I'm getting great results with two Excals at 50 yards using arrows that weigh 405 grains, 18+% FOC, and 2" Blazers or Fusion vanes.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Big John

Post by Big John »

I would agree that shooting longer distances will require a little more FOC than the bare minimum.
This will help a fair bit. As well the leveling of your scope is very important at longer range.
I'm thinking check both of these and you will see something change, or at the very least you will have omitted a couple of
the problem areas. Have fun!!
By the way my target arrows are 430 gr. and FOC around 18%.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
masboy

Post by masboy »

replys like these trying to help someone and not putting somes replys down is like it used to be on the fourm. all great imfo. right on the money.makes me proud to be a fourm member.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Be sure to follow through with shot as crossbows have a very long lock time from squeeze of trigger till arrow leaves rail. I have to remind myself of this.