Serving life

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

End of the road

Serving life

Post by End of the road »

Reading the recent thread on string care got me thinking. I got my Exocet 200 last summer and practiced hard before the season. I am guessing I have about 800 - 900 shots so far on the factory Dacron string which I try to keep clean and well waxed with the Excal wax block. Figuring that I should be doing something else, at about 400+ shots I reversed the string. My original serving and string looks pretty good and not much different than the new spare string I bought with the bow. The only issue I see are some indentations on the serving where the claw grabs (which now face to the back) but overall the serving is still pretty tight and I don’t think there is any real separation. Maybe I am missing something so here is a photo.

There is a lot of discussion on this in the archive threads but with over 800 shots on the string how long do these things last? Also, if there is no fraying or other problem with the serving how do you get it off to replace it without messing up the string?

Boo

Re: Serving life

Post by Boo »

End of the road wrote:Reading the recent thread on string care got me thinking. I got my Exocet 200 last summer and practiced hard before the season. I am guessing I have about 800 - 900 shots so far on the factory Dacron string which I try to keep clean and well waxed with the Excal wax block. Figuring that I should be doing something else, at about 400+ shots I reversed the string. My original serving and string looks pretty good and not much different than the new spare string I bought with the bow. The only issue I see are some indentations on the serving where the claw grabs (which now face to the back) but overall the serving is still pretty tight and I don’t think there is any real separation. Maybe I am missing something so here is a photo.

There is a lot of discussion on this in the archive threads but with over 800 shots on the string how long do these things last? Also, if there is no fraying or other problem with the serving how do you get it off to replace it without messing up the string?
Are there 2 dents? What serving are you using? What bow is it? Are you flipping your string to wear both sides?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

I am using the factory Dacron string that came with my Exocet 200 and it has never been reserved or replaced. The photo does not show it well but there are two dents from the claws and both appear to be about the same depth. I only flipped the string once at about 400 shots so there are old dents on the back side as well. Based on what I have read here on the forum it seems an unusually long life for the serving and string.
cevans

Post by cevans »

Get a new string and break it in, and keep that one for a perfect backup. that is what I would do. :)
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
strum

Post by strum »

This post said " serving life" I thought someone got married :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

End of the road wrote:I am using the factory Dacron string that came with my Exocet 200 and it has never been reserved or replaced. The photo does not show it well but there are two dents from the claws and both appear to be about the same depth. I only flipped the string once at about 400 shots so there are old dents on the back side as well. Based on what I have read here on the forum it seems an unusually long life for the serving and string.
You are doing better than most, your latches must be really very smooth.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

YOUR DOING WELL MATE FROM A STANDARD STRING SOMETIMES A STRING LASTS NOT MUCH MORE THAN A HUNDRED SHOTS & NORMALY ITS THE ENDS THAT START COMING AWAY FIRST USING A 200 LB BOW. GOOD LUCK YOUR DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. REGARDS FRANK
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Boo,
With my Equinox and an excel string I might get 25 shots before the serving spreads open enough to see the string itself, that is with both claws doing the same. I sent it to Excalibur for that reason and it is still not much better, I might get 50 shots now. I realize it is a lot more powerful than my Phoenix was and harder on the strings. When they talk about a Boo trigger job, can you solve this problem? I only started shooting again a while before our deer season in Nova Scotia. And then I screwed up all my strings and my bumpers for my NGSS, the other day by changing my technique. At least I could shot more than four shots without having to limp to the house and lay down. It was great being able to target shoot with hardly no pain. But did it ever give me a pain in the butt when I lost my train off thought, :oops: . Some forum members are treating me like I have known them for years and are sending me some items so I can get back to shooting. That is such an honor for me to belong to this forum. I am trying to come to Ontario for the Spring Turkey Hunt with Terry aka Munch. I hope I can so I can meet all you great fellows while I am there. If not this year, then it will mostly likely be next year, depending on my finances. I thought maybe before I start shootring again in my back yard I would ask that question.
Thanks,
Raymond
Boo

Post by Boo »

Raymond wrote:Hey Boo,
With my Equinox and an excel string I might get 25 shots before the serving spreads open enough to see the string itself, that is with both claws doing the same. I sent it to Excalibur for that reason and it is still not much better, I might get 50 shots now. I realize it is a lot more powerful than my Phoenix was and harder on the strings. When they talk about a Boo trigger job, can you solve this problem? I only started shooting again a while before our deer season in Nova Scotia. And then I screwed up all my strings and my bumpers for my NGSS, the other day by changing my technique. At least I could shot more than four shots without having to limp to the house and lay down. It was great being able to target shoot with hardly no pain. But did it ever give me a pain in the butt when I lost my train off thought, :oops: . Some forum members are treating me like I have known them for years and are sending me some items so I can get back to shooting. That is such an honor for me to belong to this forum. I am trying to come to Ontario for the Spring Turkey Hunt with Terry aka Munch. I hope I can so I can meet all you great fellows while I am there. If not this year, then it will mostly likely be next year, depending on my finances. I thought maybe before I start shootring again in my back yard I would ask that question.
Thanks,
Raymond
Which string are you using and what colour is the serving?
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

They were the Excel strings with black serving.
Raymond
Dash

Post by Dash »

Thanks,
Raymond
Hi Ray, I had the same problem with the standard exel string on the equinox. Serving seperated very quickly, sometimes within 20-30 shots. Thats why I moved onto the excal flemish superstring. They lasted a lot longer. Then I also smoothed the trigger off with some very fine wet/dry paper which slowed serving wear. And finally I followed boo's reserving instructions on my old flemish strings tightly to stop seperation "Thanks Boo" . I haven't had a serving seperate since reserving them. And just slow reasonable wear on the serving now.
One of the strings your receiving now was served with 0.30 halo . I haven't served an excel string before so let me know if it holds up OK. Keep the wax up to it often.
Boo

Post by Boo »

With any string you should have at minimum a few twists in it. If you have untwisted the string so it meets with the string stopper you should wind it back up so that you have 3 or 4 twists in it at minimum. Take that string that does not have enough twists and you have a serving that suffers from serving separation in a big hurry. The stopper will still be effective with a big gap between the string and the bumpers.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dash wrote:
Thanks,
Raymond
Hi Ray, I had the same problem with the standard exel string on the equinox. Serving seperated very quickly, sometimes within 20-30 shots. Thats why I moved onto the excal flemish superstring. They lasted a lot longer. Then I also smoothed the trigger off with some very fine wet/dry paper which slowed serving wear. And finally I followed boo's reserving instructions on my old flemish strings tightly to stop seperation "Thanks Boo" . I haven't had a serving seperate since reserving them. And just slow reasonable wear on the serving now.
One of the strings your receiving now was served with 0.30 halo . I haven't served an excel string before so let me know if it holds up OK. Keep the wax up to it often.
The reason for that is that the Flemish strings need a lot of twists in them keeping the serving wound tight.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Boo wrote:
End of the road wrote:I am using the factory Dacron string that came with my Exocet 200 and it has never been reserved or replaced. The photo does not show it well but there are two dents from the claws and both appear to be about the same depth. I only flipped the string once at about 400 shots so there are old dents on the back side as well. Based on what I have read here on the forum it seems an unusually long life for the serving and string.
You are doing better than most, your latches must be really very smooth.

The latches are the main reason for serving to come apart, since Boo's trigger job i see no issues with my serving, well worth it.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

TRY re-served YOUR Equinox WITH Halo braid - .030 THIS WORKS WELL. . i use the Flemish Fast string last over a year need to be re-served now but ask boo for link to re-serving your string show you every to know or just get a boo string with Halo braid - .030 on it will last a long time
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer