great forum, new vortex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bcmuledeer

great forum, new vortex

Post by bcmuledeer »

I usually don,t become a member of a forum due to the ridiculous answers and spam. after checking out excaliburs xbow forum I was impressed. I noticed that there seems to be a great group of ethical and knowledgable hunters on this site. great work! I am new to bow hunting, not hunting, have shot many wild game animals in my lifetime. Needed to one up my hunting, so far greatly enjoying my new vortex. I have a few questions, I will be mainly hunting moose and mule deer, Living in B.C. canada our season can get pretty cold in hunting season(the rut) temps can run as cold as -15, will this effect the shooting ability of this bow and is there any extra maintenance I should be looking at due to the cold. Also not to open up a never ending debate, will a 1" broadhead prevent the animal from runnning to far after shot as a 11/2" broadhead. I will be hunting mainly open fields for deer, most shots will probably be 40yards plus. what would be a good combination to achieve this. thanks.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Tired Rooster

Re: great forum, new vortex

Post by Tired Rooster »

Welcome and congratulations on the Vortex! Awesome bow! Don't really know that I would recommend the plus side of forty yards though for hunting. It's archery equipment, thus a SHORT range tool.
DEO VINDICE
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

First off, welcome to the forum. You will be fine in the cold weather. I have used mine in the minus 20's lots of times and all is fine. If trigger gets wet it could freeze as any trigger could. Alot keep there bows in the garage but I bring mine in the house to make sure it is dried out. As for 40 plus yards, that's getting way out there, personally I would not shoot that far, well not without absoutely perfect conditions. Lots and Lots of practise, if thats your plan.
Broadheads I will let someone else answer that, because I have not used many kinds. I found ones I like and I stick with them. Mine are 1 inch fixed 3 blades. Hope this helps. It is only my opinion on what you asked. Others may differ.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

these guys and gals on this site will answer any question you might come up with. I have a Vortex and learn something new every day. I might be that smart some day. :)
frisky

Post by frisky »

WELCOME
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

thanks for the welcome. just wondering why shooting at deer at 40 or 50 yards is not a good idea. when target shooting with bow I can place a 2" group at 40 and 50 yards with sling as brace and on one knee as rest (this is what I used to do with my 7MM mag at up to 300 yards.) I have shot deer at close to 300 yards. I am new to bow hunting so I hope you all will bear with the (dumb) questions.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WELCOME!!
The best things in life are not things!!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

bcmuledeer wrote:thanks for the welcome. just wondering why shooting at deer at 40 or 50 yards is not a good idea. when target shooting with bow I can place a 2" group at 40 and 50 yards with sling as brace and on one knee as rest (this is what I used to do with my 7MM mag at up to 300 yards.) I have shot deer at close to 300 yards. I am new to bow hunting so I hope you all will bear with the (dumb) questions.
Deer has to much of a chance to move at the sound of the bow the greater distances. Last thing we want to do as a hunter is wound an animal. Bow hunting is about getting the animal as close to you as possible. Even if it means letting him walk and try another day. Same as a bullet, arrow looses speed the farther it travels. To much can go wrong, You can place 2 inchs at 40 yards practise and most of it goes out the window when hunting. Shooting up or down hill, different lighting, small limbs hanging you can't see out farther, just to name a couple.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Wheelie thinks along the same lines as me these bows are loud and no matter what you do to try and quiet them down they still make a heck of a sound when in a hunting environment.At 40 to 50 yds the deer could flinch enough to cause a misplaced shot and an unrecoverable animal as it will most likely die hours or days later.Many have taken animals at those distances but I choose not to make that long of a shot.
Tenpoint Matrix
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on yer Vortex!
I shoot a Vortex also and just LOVE it!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads