Feeding deer corn in winter months

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big D

Feeding deer corn in winter months

Post by Big D »

I here it is not healthy to feed deer corn in the winter is this true? I heard deer have been found dead with full bellys of corn. I read this in a popular mag and also heard this on many hunting shows. There are so many people thinking they are helping the deer by feeding them corn in the winter months were I live. It also really affects there patterns in are second deer season in pa. What do you think helping or hurting?

Thanks and GOD bless Big D
one shot scott

Re: Feeding deer corn in winter months

Post by one shot scott »

If been told/read the same things. If you are going to feed them corn, at least feed them cracked corn since it will be easier to break down and digest.

I wonder if oats would be a better option??
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

Apparently if they eat too much in one standing they get enough gas to hurt them. I guess if they are starving and they have a whole whack to eat it is bad for them. I use a feeder that puts out maybe a couple of cups of whole corn once a day so I hope they come by for a treat.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I do the same it throws once a day for 3 seconds .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
JRS

Post by JRS »

Big D

Post by Big D »

In these could winter months is there any types of feed rather than corn that in small amounts you can supplement there diet. Since i live next to my hunting woods it would be nice to see some of deer now that the season is over.

Thanks Big D
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

thats is weird i se lots of deer out in the corn feilds eating at night around here right now . the snow is not as deep out in the middel of the feild as it is along the edge . to much of anything can not be good but a littel of everything seems to work . i put out a mix of hay and corn DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Ditto I have a corn field right close by . So the same corn they are eating in the field is the same half pound in the cover of the bush in a storm .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Big D

Post by Big D »

Great articles jrs thanks for posting

BIg D
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

heard a strange one last year. up in fort st john last year they had alot of snow. a buddy of mine from work goes up there every year to hunt. lots of deer. last year the population was way down. when he asked his uncle(who lives up there) how come the numbers so low, he told him that deer were dying all around the farm. fish and wildlife came up and open a deer up. in their stomachs there was a dry powder. under investigation they found they were full of clover, this is what the farmer had in his hay barns to feed the cows. it was also real cold that winter and the f/w said the deer were dying of dehydration. kind of makes you wonder.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
watamach

Post by watamach »

I heard the same thing but have been watching around 30 deer this winter and they live exclusively in some standing corn. I have watched several of them pull a cob right off and eat the whole thing and then grab another. What about hay? Hunting shows out West feed hay when hunting late season. Some nice green alfalfa hay its cheap would probably work.