broadheads and fieldpoints

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bcmuledeer

broadheads and fieldpoints

Post by bcmuledeer »

Are all broadheads and field points the same thread pitch, when they talk about 11/32 ect... is that the diameter of the field point or broadhead and if your arrow is a 11/32 are you then required to buy 11/32 broadheads or fieldpoints.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
bob1961

Re: broadheads and fieldpoints

Post by bob1961 »

8-32 threads i think they are, and yes that 11/32 is dia of componets :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

thanks Bob. Curious why you use 125 gr slicktricks, I have the vortex 200lb, was told to use goltip laser II with brass inserts and 100 gr slikck tricks, is there an advantage to using a heavier arrow and how much does it effect longer distance.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
JRS

Post by JRS »

If you are using arrows with brass inserts, there is really no need to use a 125 grain head. The brass insert more than makes up for the gain of a 125 grain broadhead with a regular insert in regard to FOC. With Gold Tip arrows, a brass insert will net you about 90 grains of weight over a typical insert, increasing your FOC.
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

bcmuledeer wrote:thanks Bob. Curious why you use 125 gr slicktricks, I have the vortex 200lb, was told to use goltip laser II with brass inserts and 100 gr slikck tricks, is there an advantage to using a heavier arrow and how much does it effect longer distance.
Hi bcmuledeer,

As I was reading your question I remembered this post by Bill T.:

Re: Accurate?
by Bill T » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:30 am

You are a perfect example of why we went to the 150 grain heads. As the bows increased in velocity we saw accuracy issues increase and after testing I was shocked that the groups were opening up radically after 20 yards or so. We honestly couldn't find a 100 grain broadhead with fixed blades that would beat 8" or so at 40 yards. That's when we discovered that by increasing FOC we could get 40 yard groups to shrink to 3 or 4 " with the 150 grain Boltcutters. If you insist that you want to use 100 grain heads I can only recommend that you shoot mechanicals if you want improved accuracy, but if you are willing to try the Boltcutters they will radically improve your groups. Once again I have to say, please give us a chance to help you if you have problems with our equipment before going onto our forum and trashing what we do. We are limited in some ways where products like the Firebolts are concerned since they are made by another supplier but I'll bust my butt to halp any customer if they give us a chance.

Kurisu again here. Hope this answers some of your questions regarding broadhead choices.

Regards,
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i went with higher grain BH to get my FOC up and over 20%, got it up to 21.6% and you should see the exit holes my 550gr arrows are leaving in deer :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.