excelllent cheap target for 200lb xbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bcmuledeer

excelllent cheap target for 200lb xbow

Post by bcmuledeer »

I'm not sure if this has been gone over before but dave at wyverns told me a great way to make a cheap target. get a heavy cardboard box (I used one from our trk shop, Antifreeze comes in it) It measures 12" X 16" X 14". He told me to stuff it with rags, the one you use to polish your trk our bow. I got two bags of rags from sallyann, stuff them in the box as hard as you can, wrap the outside with duct tape, When you tape it up, tape it tight to get it back to a square block, it will bludge out with out tape on it. I have the vortex 200Lb, shot it at 20 yards, couldn't believe it, arrow went in about 5/8 its lenght, You can pull the arrows out with ease. The beauty of this is, once you destroy the box, simply get another box and reuse the rags, Shot my target over 200 times with buddies and their bows, some compound ectt. their all making there own. haven't tried a broadhead yet. it will probably get stuck in the box. but for targetting its great
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Gwens Dilemma

Re: excelllent cheap target for 200lb xbow

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

For broadheads I use BLUE 2" syrofoam. Pink or white doesn't work. Cut down to 24" long pieces. This gives 3 pieces or 6"thick. I need 6 pieces or 12" thick for my older carved tip Exomag. I have 4 pieces of 1 X 2 spruce to bolt the top and bottom with 1/4" threaded rod from TSC. Draw circles with a black or ?? marker and I'm good for a lot of shots for about $30 :wink:
Dave
Big John

Post by Big John »

I've made many bag stuffed targets as well. Some are still in use. Best cheap good quality Target
you can get. However as stated I also use Grain or feed bags. When worn just put another bag over and keep going.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

What about a sack of sand for broad heads, or maybe rice, or cheap bird feed? It would probably be best if it were double or triple bagged. I'm not sure how much of a pain the BH catching on the bag would be. Probably have to put something underneath to catch what spills out,
cheers,
David
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I use a cardboard box with cardboard boxes layered inside it, for a broadhead target. Simply spread the layers apart unscrew the bh and pull out the shaft. Replace box layers when needed, very economical and environmentally friendly, put shreaded boxes in recycle bin.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
masboy

Post by masboy »

the best i,ve found for broadheads are straw bales compressed.i have two 6 foot threaded 1 inch bolt rods and 2x10 oak boards 4 feet long with holes drilled in each end .one on top and one on bottom and three bales inside and tighten up .with quarry belt screwed on top 2x10 hanging down back in case a pass thru .just lift belt and screw off broadhead works great the best iv,e used .if starts to get soft just tighten down nuts some. used it for years.got too get some new boards now so i been shooting the block works ok but a mess and don,t last long for me and the boys .only had this one a few months done wore out.i like the straw much better.
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

thats why i love this site. excellant advice. thanks :D now i can shot my broadheads and see if they fly the same as field points.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!