Equinox Dryfire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jim

Equinox Dryfire

Post by Old Jim »

Was so intent on adjusting my scope that I lost consentration of my crossbow, and you guessed it "DRYFIRE". I was afraid to look at the crossbow so retrived my FF string over 10 yards down range. Was in perfect condition. Ready to send crossbow to Peter, but found after very careful exam.,(cotton ball screws etc.) appeared no less for wear. Restrung the bow(the string was a little longer and took a couple wraps) and shot about 20 arrows with no apparent effects of the dryfire. Now comes the question. I cock the Equinox, sitting down with my feet on the bow on both side of the riser to shorten draw lenght 4" plus. To protect the finish on the limbs I installed heavy duty 3M anti skid adhesive from the riser a distanceof about 8". DO YOU THINK THIS BACKING HELPED PROTECT THE LIMBS?? It might be cheap insurance on my other Excaliburs if it does.
BigKidLovesBows

Re: Equinox Dryfire

Post by BigKidLovesBows »

I dry fired my Equinox about a month ago while taking off the cocking aid. (I ALWAYS engage the safety first now!) It totally freaked me out! I inspected every inch of my limbs for splinters.No splinters. The dissipator bars/pads not bent. Checked the string for signs of fray/damage or brace height change. No frays, no change in brace height. Slowly cocked the bow. No loud tearing sounds. Loaded an arrow... bull eyes. The only thing that was really damaged was my ego. I felt like the complete amateur that I am. A month later and hundreds of arrow shot = no problems. I consider myself lucky, because I've read about of others' misfortunes regarding dry fires. I'm not sure if your 3M tape help but one thing is certain: these bow are built really tough.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Old Jim wrote:Was so intent on adjusting my scope that I lost consentration of my crossbow, and you guessed it "DRYFIRE". I was afraid to look at the crossbow so retrived my FF string over 10 yards down range. Was in perfect condition. Ready to send crossbow to Peter, but found after very careful exam.,(cotton ball screws etc.) appeared no less for wear. Restrung the bow(the string was a little longer and took a couple wraps) and shot about 20 arrows with no apparent effects of the dryfire. Now comes the question. I cock the Equinox, sitting down with my feet on the bow on both side of the riser to shorten draw lenght 4" plus. To protect the finish on the limbs I installed heavy duty 3M anti skid adhesive from the riser a distanceof about 8". DO YOU THINK THIS BACKING HELPED PROTECT THE LIMBS?? It might be cheap insurance on my other Excaliburs if it does.
Hehehehe, would you like to be the president? The reason you have no apparent damage is because it is such a good bow!
BTW, shorten the rope and you'll find cocking much easier and get an Excalibur string stopper.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

Thanks Boo. I've shortened the cocking rope so much that I have to pull the string back about 6" to get the hooks on. Going to get a stopper as soon as they become avalible. Have to agree that Excalibur is a great crossbow. Now have an Ibex, Equinox and 2 Relayer 25's one left and one right hand. Next a Vortex.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Old Jim wrote:Thanks Boo. I've shortened the cocking rope so much that I have to pull the string back about 6" to get the hooks on. Going to get a stopper as soon as they become avalible. Have to agree that Excalibur is a great crossbow. Now have an Ibex, Equinox and 2 Relayer 25's one left and one right hand. Next a Vortex.
Got enough bows there buddy? LOL! Another very cool bow to shoot is an Exocet 175 preferably with a cast riser. You need one!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Glad to hear your bow was not harmed by the dryfire...and nice collection of crossbows you have there! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

Boo wrote:
Old Jim wrote:Thanks Boo. I've shortened the cocking rope so much that I have to pull the string back about 6" to get the hooks on. Going to get a stopper as soon as they become avalible. Have to agree that Excalibur is a great crossbow. Now have an Ibex, Equinox and 2 Relayer 25's one left and one right hand. Next a Vortex.
Got enough bows there buddy? LOL! Another very cool bow to shoot is an Exocet 175 preferably with a cast riser. You need one!
What's the difference between Excalibur 175 and Ibex? where can a person find an EXcalibur175#. Ship to US.?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Old Jim wrote:
Boo wrote:
What's the difference between Excalibur 175 and Ibex? where can a person find an EXcalibur175#. Ship to US.?
The cast riser 175 Exocet has the same speed but in a lighter bow. Much more pleasant to cock and shoot. For whacking away at targets it's pretty hard to beat. It is easier to cock because the limbs are not loaded up like the forward limb riser of the Ibex and Pheonix. It is much like the Exomag which is another prized bow. It's just an interesting bow that is a very nice shooter that you should add to your collection! Can you have too many Jim? :mrgreen:
Big John

Post by Big John »

As a matter of Fact, they are sweet shooters, the 175 cast risers . And like Boo say's, like the Exomag, which I believe to be the Ultimate Best Shooter offered from Excalibur!!
There is an Exomag offered for sale in the trading forum in great shape that would be Perfect for your collection, my Friend owns it. :wink: :wink:
I Love the Equinox as well. Smoking Fast and very comfortable to shoot. Glad you made out okay. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]