Vertical bow vs. crossbow accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jim

Re: Vertical bow vs. crossbow accuracy

Post by Old Jim »

I have to admit that I am a real coward. I have 9 crossbows and have yet to try an off hand shoot. It's a top of line crossbow, a good rest, scope and matched arrows, and I do pretty good. A heck of a lot better than I did shooting a long bow and then compound for many years. Of course I realize that vertical equipment has gotten much better than when I was shooting.
youngbuck1

Post by youngbuck1 »

i think virtical i have really good groups with my compound bow at 50 yrds
Pro-staff for team gobblestalker
pro-staff at Turkey tuque
DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA
Turkey callers of canada
http://www.gobblestalkercalls.com
type1 diabetic since 2003
mike schnarr :P
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If y'all check out the scores for competitions common to both types, it's compounds hands down every time.
"Eze 18:21"
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

Off hand it's compounds hands down I agree. I'm saying a crossbow on a rest using a good scope. Then what??
Boo

Post by Boo »

Old Jim wrote:Off hand it's compounds hands down I agree. I'm saying a crossbow on a rest using a good scope. Then what??
Apples to oranges I say. If you strap the both in I say the compound.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dsal

Post by dsal »

all depends on who is doing the shooting. I,ve been shooting a compond for years, and shoot pritty good up to fifty. I can hold more steady with my compond. Started archery with a excalibur, and switched to compond for years without touching my xcal. Now im back to excal for those bad back days.
There are some real good compond shooters out there, that may shock you.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Wheelie and N8trboy can verify this . We just shot a competition at just 20 yards and out of the top 16 shooters there was only 1 crossbow in those ranks . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
strum

Post by strum »

I will have to say the vertical also...but i will say the average guy who never practices and dosnt shoot competition
and dosnt start working on his form a month or two before the season,,will for sure have a better chance at making a kill with a crossbow ..
i dont want to give any anti crossbow guys ammo but for me ..i got smoked every year by a friend with a crossbow..this year with an excal ..i have the fuller freezer.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

bob1961 wrote:
wheelie wrote: Let's make this clear, vertical bows take years of practise, and keep practising to be good.
to a point you are very right, but....
wheelie wrote: Very very few can pick up a bow a week before deer season and shoot as well as a crossbow shooter.
i don't know if it was a fluke or what....but in a span of 3 years back in 2002, 2003, 2004 hunting seasons, i did not have the time to practice my compound i knew i should before hunting....in those 3 years i got one deer each year with one shot each year from my compound, so in 3 shots i got 3 deer in 3 years with only shooting my bow once each year....but then again i have been shooting my bow the same way since 1982....i'm not bragging and i'm not or ever was a tourny shooter either when i shot my compound, but when i did shot it i followed a process all those years that allowed me to just pick it up and hit what i aimed at.........bob
Not a fluke, how big is a kill zone on a deer? Not really what I was talking about. Pick it up once a year for a week and try to high a quarter size spot 60 times in a row from twenty yards.
strum

Post by strum »

wheelie wrote:
bob1961 wrote:
wheelie wrote: Let's make this clear, vertical bows take years of practise, and keep practising to be good.
to a point you are very right, but....
wheelie wrote: Very very few can pick up a bow a week before deer season and shoot as well as a crossbow shooter.
i don't know if it was a fluke or what....but in a span of 3 years back in 2002, 2003, 2004 hunting seasons, i did not have the time to practice my compound i knew i should before hunting....in those 3 years i got one deer each year with one shot each year from my compound, so in 3 shots i got 3 deer in 3 years with only shooting my bow once each year....but then again i have been shooting my bow the same way since 1982....i'm not bragging and i'm not or ever was a tourny shooter either when i shot my compound, but when i did shot it i followed a process all those years that allowed me to just pick it up and hit what i aimed at.........bob
Not a fluke, how big is a kill zone on a deer? Not really what I was talking about. Pick it up once a year for a week and try to high a quarter size spot 60 times in a row from twenty yards.
60 times in a row?..i cant hit the toilet 60 times in a row..and thats surely not 20 yards :mrgreen:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

I KEEP SAYING OVER AND OVER " A CROSSBOW SHOOTER WITH A BENCH REST, USING A REAL GOOD SCOPE VS A COMPOUND SHOOTER" WHO WILL WIN ??? I know that if both were shot off hand the GOOD compound shooter with the right equipment would win. I say GOOD shooter,because if both were beginers I believe the crossbow shooter would take it. To shoot the compound well takes a lot of practice. I know.
masboy

Post by masboy »

well we could have our own shoot ,crossbow vs compound .say mabey with your deer hunting set up.i would sit on ground on seat with back leaning on tree ,like in my deer stands,compounds how ever they do when shooting from stands,setting or standing.broadheads or field points,say mabey 5 shot groups at 20-30-40-50yds.and compare when done.just a thought. i,m going too be shooting like that most of the time from now on,because thats how i will be shooting from my stands.done with sand bags and bench for now,can,t take it in my tree stands.i got my crossbow with good shooting arrows ready too roll.its all about if i can do my part now.i know its not fair too be sitting resting elbow on knee for crossbow shooter to compare compound shooter standing.just too compare in hunting.i don,t shoot off hand if i can help it.i suck off hand. anybody willing?
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

masboy wrote:well we could have our own shoot ,crossbow vs compound .say mabey with your deer hunting set up.i would sit on ground on seat with back leaning on tree ,like in my deer stands,compounds how ever they do when shooting from stands,setting or standing.broadheads or field points,say mabey 5 shot groups at 20-30-40-50yds.and compare when done.just a thought. i,m going too be shooting like that most of the time from now on,because thats how i will be shooting from my stands.done with sand bags and bench for now,can,t take it in my tree stands.i got my crossbow with good shooting arrows ready too roll.its all about if i can do my part now.i know its not fair too be sitting resting elbow on knee for crossbow shooter to compare compound shooter standing.just too compare in hunting.i don,t shoot off hand if i can help it.i suck off hand. anybody willing?
Ummmmm, what's the point of it? Shoot what makes one happy. I will shoot with you but I get to pick the tree we shoot out of. I called it!!!!!!! Wheelie watchs masboy fall out of tree, oh must have not seen all them limbs up there. LOL
masboy

Post by masboy »

thats a good one! i would just like to see how they compare .i mite be shortning my deer hunting range. we could all do at home and post results. mabey i could beat my boys compounds anyway . they will want me too shoot off hand,but i don,t care ,i,m not proud.they laugh at my vortex,they say i,m not going too get many deer with that noisey thing.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

masboy wrote:thats a good one! i would just like to see how they compare .i mite be shortning my deer hunting range. we could all do at home and post results. mabey i could beat my boys compounds anyway . they will want me too shoot off hand,but i don,t care ,i,m not proud.they laugh at my vortex,they say i,m not going too get many deer with that noisey thing.
LOL How wrong they are! They will be buying one soon when they see you with a full freezer!