Glue for fletching

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Jim

Glue for fletching

Post by Old Jim »

Does anyone have any tips on how to apply a decent bead of glue on the vanes used for fletching. I don't know if there are any special applicators out there. More likely then not I make a mess of it. Maybe just practice and a steady hand.
bob1961

Re: Glue for fletching

Post by bob1961 »

i read where a few here use 3 drops of glue, one at each end and 3rd in the middle....then use a tooth pick to spread it, less squeeze out that way over a bead the whole length of vane........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Old Jim wrote:Does anyone have any tips on how to apply a decent bead of glue on the vanes used for fletching. I don't know if there are any special applicators out there. More likely then not I make a mess of it. Maybe just practice and a steady hand.
It just takes time and practice. don't be afraid to experiment with different glues to see what works best for you.I have had my best luck with Loctite super glue gel. I use the AZ EZ fletch and when I take the arrow out of the jig I roll a Q-tip down each side of the vane to pick up any excess glue. It makes for a nice neat job for me.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I use gorilla brand super glue with the blue top. Put it on very light then spread it around with a q-tip.
When I remove the arrow from my fletching tool I use the other side of the q-tip to wipe off excess glue.
Hope this helps!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

georgiaboy wrote:I use gorilla brand super glue with the blue top. Put it on very light then spread it around with a q-tip.
When I remove the arrow from my fletching tool I use the other side of the q-tip to wipe off excess glue.
Hope this helps!!
I use the same glue but have issues with it sqeezing out from under the base of the fletching and sticking to my EZ fletch.
I'm gonna give the q-tip a try next time to remove the excess glue.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

Thanks for all the great ideas!!
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

j.krug wrote:
georgiaboy wrote:I use gorilla brand super glue with the blue top. Put it on very light then spread it around with a q-tip.
Hope this helps!!
I use the same glue but have issues with it sqeezing out from under the base of the fletching and sticking to my EZ fletch.
Some acetone should take the excess glue off of the EZ fletch without damaging it. I just clean mine up as necessary.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
j.krug wrote:
Hope this helps!!
Some acetone should take the excess glue off of the EZ fletch without damaging it. I just clean mine up as necessary.

Bob
Thanks Bob. I'll give that a try. Sure sounds easier than scraping it off.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
roly

Post by roly »

I have two clamp style fletchers, I rub some bow wax on the clamp edges

Don't know if this will work with the EZ fletch
Just don't get the wax on the gluing surface of the vane.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

roly wrote:I have two clamp style fletchers, I rub some bow wax on the clamp edges

Don't know if this will work with the EZ fletch
Just don't get the wax on the gluing surface of the vane.
I use margarine. Easy to find, sits on counter, then wipe it off. Wax is good, never really thought of that.
WTB

Post by WTB »

I have used "Goat Tuff" (standard performance) glue for many years for all applications. I ordered the "High Performance" Goat Tuff to use when I refletched the Firebolts with Blazers.

The GoatTuff bottle has a long thin application neck and with just a pin hole, it is quite easy to dab a fine bead of glue with a steady hand. After removing the arrow from the fletcher I use a Q-Tip that has been moistened with acetone (almost dry ) and remove the excess,if any. After I do the initial cleaning and clean the jig I go back and remove any excess glue with a small razor tool off the arrow and jig.

I very mall amout of glue will remain on E-Z jig at the ends where the ends of the vanes rest. After each arrow I'll remove the small amount of glue and wipe down the jig. One needs to allways have a razor blade handy to occaasionally remove a thin film of glue in the vane slot. If you let this build up the vane will not seat completely in the slot. You have to place the vanes in the jig, and closely inspect the vane to jig contact.