yes, i got him
46%
no, not this year
54%

Total votes: 39

DEAD-EYE

time to brag

Post by DEAD-EYE »

we in ontario there is only a couple more days, and it seems that everyone has had a pretty good year, but i know that we like to showoff what we've got,, so any pics, or story from your hunts,, and even some close calls would be nic to hear about,,,,

and happy new year to everyone,,,
hunters will do anything for a... buck!!!
DEAD-EYE

Post by DEAD-EYE »

i can't say i got the one i wanted this year,,, he still walks, but still tagged out a good size four with the bow
hunters will do anything for a... buck!!!
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

Hi, to all of you.
this year i went to a new location(i was told there's lots of deers) 2 weeks prior to hunting season(gun)i went to install 3 tree stands for a friend , my father in law and of corse me.
Did not know if they were any bucks in the area but on the second evening after seing 11 does in the first day in the haft,i saw a small buck(spike)so i did not hesitate to shoot him
. After that day we saw lots of doe but no more bucks and my friend saw 15 does around him in one after noon from 5 yards to 50yards but no tags for female deer .
When gun season was over i was able to borrow a xbow from a friend and went to practice in the morning(first time shooting an xbow)then went hunting in the pm.
I saw 7 does but too far to shoot them .That same night went to the hospital (emergency) and got operated for an hernia so that was it for my xbow season but i felt in love with that experience(x bow)
And yes i will be buying an xbow (excalibur) for this season 2004

In the meanwhile i will be going caribou hunting in january(21to the27of january) hope i see lots of them

ok bye for now
what time is it? time to go hunting
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

I went into this season a whole lot better prepared than previous seasons. I had a few more good spots under my belt (from summer scouting, etc), a new Exomag, new hunting buddies (RJ and crew), and of course my newly licensed son under my wing.
There were very few occasions this fall when we didn't see or hear deer from our stands/drives so it was always interesting.

Moose camp with the rifle was okay but I don't think I'll go back. A week off work for 2-3 days hunting seems a waste to me when there's so much deer activity right on my doorstep. I enjoy the crossbow so much more than the rifle also. When I got back from moose camp I immediately crossbowed a fat doe.

Moose trip #2 in November was a disaster after hitting the cow with the truck. Once again, lots of money and time spent on a trip that didn't amount to any hunting. When I got back I arrowed a decent buck at home.

The icing on the cake was seeing my son arrow his first deer last week. I had a fantastic season any way you slice it. Regardless of how many tags we used, I enjoyed each and every moment on stand.

My only regret is I got so wrapped up in deer hunting that I completely neglected my bird dog...she's really packing on weight. I think by next fall I'm going to have her in decent field trim and give her and my Red Label shotgun some more time afield.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not the biggest antlered one there, but the first one who offered a good shot, meat's meat!
wabi
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

I was just out after meat this year, so like wabi I took the first buck that offered a good shot.
shoot straight stay late.
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

Actually I took (2} that I wanted, my 1'st crossbow doe and a 4 1/2 yr old buck to be mounted :wink:

Of course the others that filled my freezer were important also:D

Check these links for pictures.

http://www.pbase.com/image/21723754

http://www.pbase.com/image/23242482

http://www.pbase.com/image/23242663

leo
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I shot and killed about the best buck I saw all year..

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... sc&start=0
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Busy year ..... had some ups and downs ... had to work at getting out as much as I could .

Missed a beauty buck hunting with Red Label . Still managed to tag 3 bucks , a 7 point , 6 point , and 4 point . All were memoralble hunts .

I was in the field when Red Lables son got his 1st buck .... great moment !

1 of the older gents in our group had a good year tagging a nice 9 point and an 8 point .

The youngest guy in our group ended his dry spell with a well placed shot on a beauty doe this a.m.

Saw lots of deer , turkeys , coyotes , jackrabbits , cotton tails , pheasants , and grouse ... during misc stands and drives ... took lots of pictures .

Bottom line .... had a great time in the field with friends !!

Didn't spend as much time on the forum as I did last year , but did keep up a little on current events ....

My one pet peeves re: forum posts was the misc "guest' nit picking posts ! And guys picking other guys arses re: tags etc. !! So before anybody gets counting or questioning .... all guys in our group had 2 tags ... we hunted together and all deer where legal tagged ! Still going out tomorrow to try to help 2 of the older gents in our group tag out .... even if we don't , it will not be from lack of effort !! Just ask Red Label how much ground we cover in a day !! He put some miles on his boots with us this season !

Also ... just want to take a moment to congratulate all the successfull hunters on the forum . I enjoyed all the stories and the pictures .... I can't remember all the names but I seem to recall some " beauty buck " pictures posted by Lone Wolf , Outdoorz , Woody Williams, Hoss , Gary L. , Excaliber , Mikey V. and the list goes on ....

Sounds like you all had a fun season !

Thanks again to Bill and Kath for sponsoring this site and sharing their adventures abroad thru video etc.

Best to all of you and your families and Happy New Year !!
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:43 am, edited 21 times in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Red Label, it's to bad about yor moose hunts, you should try the crossbow with moose, it's great. I will not go moose hunting with a rifle any more.

We took two deer off the new property this year, a nice doe which I took and a real nice ten point that my partner took. We can't wait until next year.
enjoy the woods
Doug
Newbi

hunt lives on

Post by Newbi »

I am fortunate to live in Arkansas. Our archery deer season continues on until Feb. Gun seasons are all over.
Don

Post by Don »

Not even close did I come to getting the one I wanted this year, or any one for that matter :(

We will chock it up to a big learning experience.

I had a good shot at 4 this year all at thirty yards or less.

The first I got a shot at was the first deer I have ever had in shooting range and I let her sit too long after stopping her. So when I took the shot she jumped a good 5-6 feet straight up and I gave her belly a shave on the way by.

The second I stopped and pulled the trigger right away the deer pulled it's shoulder back right into the broadhead, and I think many of you will remember the bent arrow picture I posted of this one.

So I took the bow home and retested it to make sure it was working okay. Just to let you know not a good idea to do right after a bad shot on a deer, your not quite thinking straight. so I set the bow up free had not off a rest. this would not have been a problem except when I got a shot at the third one I was sitting behind a fence and had set the bow on the top rail. And so there again I hit another in the shoulder. (NOTE: always use a rest to set up your crossbow.)

And the last was today she stepped out way early at 2:45pm approximately. She was immediately in range at 20 yards but she had to move over so that my limb would not make contact with the tree upon release. After about 15 minutes which seemed like two hours she moved over far enough that my limb was clear of the tree. At 30 yards she had her head down for a nice snack and I pulled the trigger she went up my carbon arrow with the brass insert was front heavy and dove for the ground faster than a well balanced arrow should. So we looked for the arrow and could not find it so we waited 45 minutes and started the search and after two and a half hours of wandering through the woods again for the fourth time this year. We found no deer lying just inside the trees like we had hoped but instead a nice lively deer that scared the heck out of me as it tore off through the woods after I startled it. So we went back to the field to try and find the arrow we did not find the first time we looked. We found it no blood and just a few nicely trimmed hairs just to spite.

So to those that got what they were after congratulations, and to those that did not.....
Next year is our year, we will get ours and it will be all the sweeter fore the pain and suffering we had to endure this year.

Don :lol:
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I never dropped a deer over 170 pounds and this year I dropped 2 bucks that went 220 dressed. One of them was a good 130 class 8 point. I also wanted to get the piebald that was running around the property and I droped him the 1st week of rut. I still have till the end of January to hunt with my bow. So I am loading up the corn for culling out allot of doe's in this next month. I would like to see about 30 doe's removed this late season. It may put a little dent in the heard.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

R.J. wrote: Saw lots of deer , turkeys , coyotes , jackrabbits , cotton tails , pheasants , and grouse ... during misc stands and drives ... took lots of pictures .
don't forget the little red fox that knocked over your quiver and almost ran over your boot on the ground stand and the mink that walked up on me!

that was a fun day....a fawn was bedded less than 15 yards ahead of RJ in the tall swamp grass for the whole push and finally jumped up when the doggers came out....nobody shot at her, but it was amazing how tight she laid there with us anaware of her presence.