Two Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Frankj

Two Questions

Post by Frankj »

Two Questions Hi I am new to the forium and to cross bows . Can someone tell me what they call the part of the Xbow that holds the arrow down tight to the rail .Also I installed the new anti Dryfire on my Vortex and now when I shoot an arrow I get a metal on metal noise and aloud vibration like a tuning fork coming from that part . How can I stop it .Other than that the bow shoots great .
roly

Re: Two Questions

Post by roly »

You can also bend the retainer a bit
till it stops striking the rail on release

Welcome to the forum
killshot

Post by killshot »

Welcome aboard
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
Boo

Post by Boo »

If it is a tuning fork noise then you have to change the frequency of the arrow keeper. You do this by adding weight. You can buy a Bowjax thingy (don't waste your money on the other garbage in this link) http://www.bowjax.com/crossbow.html
You can also add some double sided (self sealing) heat shrink to your arrow retainer which is what I do.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

Frankj wrote:Two Questions Hi I am new to the forium and to cross bows . Can someone tell me what they call the part of the Xbow that holds the arrow down tight to the rail .Also I installed the new anti Dryfire on my Vortex and now when I shoot an arrow I get a metal on metal noise and aloud vibration like a tuning fork coming from that part . How can I stop it .Other than that the bow shoots great .
When you reposition the arrow retainer using the anti dry fire, it must be lined up and tightened properly. It's new position makes it longer. The antyi dry fire is the best aftermarket item I have ever purchased for an Excalibur crossbow, and I've bought a lot. A would guess that Bill at Excalicur would install them on all his crossbows if he wasn't afraid of the TenPoint patent. Now I can let anyone use my bow without blowing it up.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i think the only xbows that will blow up are training wheeled crossbows....never heard of an excalibur blowing up with a dry fire....heck i dried fired my 200# exocet with a boo string and it didn't even come off the limbs :shock: ....i had STS on it and had to replace the pads, other then that not a thing went wrong with anything on my bow....even shot 250 more arrows that day without any adjustments to anything :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Old Jim wrote:
Frankj wrote:Two Questions Hi I am new to the forium and to cross bows . Can someone tell me what they call the part of the Xbow that holds the arrow down tight to the rail .Also I installed the new anti Dryfire on my Vortex and now when I shoot an arrow I get a metal on metal noise and aloud vibration like a tuning fork coming from that part . How can I stop it .Other than that the bow shoots great .
When you reposition the arrow retainer using the anti dry fire, it must be lined up and tightened properly. It's new position makes it longer. The antyi dry fire is the best aftermarket item I have ever purchased for an Excalibur crossbow, and I've bought a lot. A would guess that Bill at Excalicur would install them on all his crossbows if he wasn't afraid of the TenPoint patent. Now I can let anyone use my bow without blowing it up.
How many Excals have you heard of "blowing up" w/ a dryfire? Do you honestly think every xbow mfg w/ adf is paying 10 pt royalties?

Since Bill T was selling his xbows about 13 yrs before 10 pt came into the game, if he felt they needed adf's, they would have been on the bows, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

awshucks wrote:How many Excals have you heard of "blowing up" w/ a dryfire? .
Not a one!
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

Boo wrote:
Not a one!
Why does Excalicur have to replace so many limbs due to dry fire. Heard that the only recurve you could dry fire without damage was a Middleton. If a bow breaks apart and dissapators plates bend, I guess I should have said come apart, not blow up, although they could come apart in your face. When i dry fired one it sure sounded like it blew up.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Boo wrote:
Not a one!
None since I purchased my Exocet in 1992.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Normous

Post by Normous »

Old Jim wrote:
Boo wrote:
Not a one!
Why does Excalicur have to replace so many limbs due to dry fire. Heard that the only recurve you could dry fire without damage was a Middleton. If a bow breaks apart and dissapators plates bend, I guess I should have said come apart, not blow up, although they could come apart in your face. When i dry fired one it sure sounded like it blew up.
Very few limbs need replacing after a dryfire. Some minor surface splintering may appear after a dryfire. Lightly sanding the splinter out is a suitable option that does not hamper performance at all. The dry fire I heard once was more like a loud TWANG and certainly sounded nothing like an explosion as you describe.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Jim, the rate of replacement is not all that high. Take the time and call Danny Miller and ask him. Like Norm said, the damage is often cosmetic. Aside from all that an S5 will go a long way for your purposes. A dry-fire isn't nearly as loud when using a string stopper, just ask Catcher! LOL!
Frankj

Post by Frankj »

Thank you for the welcome and for the answers . I removed the part and bent it up a little and put some shrink tubing on it .It seems to be back to the way it was .Another thing I noticed was that when I shot a 3 arrow group one of my arrows was a flyer. But it would hit in the same spot out of the group all the time. I would rotate the arrow so that a differant fletch was in the rail and it flew back in a quater size group at 30yds .I also have one arrow that I cant do anything with so I was thinking of refletching it and seeing if that would help .Im shooting goldtip LaserII and fletcher with 2in Fusion veins .I know I have alot to learn but is this normal .

Thanks Frank J
masboy

Post by masboy »

yes thats normal not very many arrows from a dozen will shoot same poi. out of a dozen ,most of the time i get 4 that shoot real close same poi and 4 more that shoot close same poi but a little off from 1st. four and some not so good no matter what i do. when i,m saying poi i mean almost same hole.i turn some around and fletch from other end and sometimes helps and sometimes not. i turn inserts and refletch too try too help. so i just shoot and sort too get the ones that have same poi.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

From what I`ve heard you would have a hard time getting replacement limbs for your Middleton . :shock: :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus