Gold Tip Laser IV arrows (Kinetic)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Gold Tip Laser IV arrows (Kinetic)

Post by sumner4991 »

PA_DeerHunter wrote: Arrow type, fletch type have nothing to do with launch speed. . . .. But I want to see a 550 grain arrow luanch from his Exocet at 295 fps.
I was thinking the same thing . . .but, for me, this falls into the "who cares" catagory.

Anyway . . .nice heavy logs are a good choice. Like everything else, there are trade-offs. If the heavy hitters are accomplishing their goals, then that's great.

I get great accuracy, great penetration, and dead deer with a 408 grain arrow out of my Exomax.

There is no one way path in archery . . .there are several paths that end at the back side of a deer on the ground in the yellow wood.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

bcmuledeer wrote:
automated11 wrote:I dont take bad shots but I had a buck last year change course on me while squeezing the trigger...... Which resulted in a shoulder shot with like 4-6" of penetration. This was a 400 grain arrow. After that I made my mind up to go with the heavier arrow with cut on contact heads and if that happens again in my life time I should have the penetration to the vitals and not wound the deer. Keep in mind I keep my shots at MAX 35 yards, most of my shots are about 20yards.
Being new at bow hunting, I have a few questions. Wouldn't the broadhead design have alot more to do with penetration rather than the weight of the arrow.Example size of broadhead. Being a rifle hunter for years, bullet designed played a big part on weather or not the bullet went through bone, not the size of the bullet, example hollow point verses national matched brass point. Also having a mag gun with crazy speeds seemed to cut through bone alot easier than non mag guns. Doesn't a heavier arrow shoot alot slower, I know were talking twice the mass here as compared to a rifle bullet. is that the reason to get a heavy arrow? Thanks. Ps. secret, dammmm :shock: nice shooting.
Hi,

I think most would agree that broadhead design has a lot to do with penetration but a "lot more" than weight I just don't know. How would you figure that out? Many, I suspect, would/could argue that momentum is a better measure of an arrows ability to penetrate vs. the KE. Weight if I'm not mistaken ups the momentum vs. speed for KE.

Bill K.

Bill K.
secret

Post by secret »

Same bow[Exocet 200]
same yards 30
starting from left to right weight of shafts
454 508 608
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

bkisel wrote: Hi,

I think most would agree that broadhead design has a lot to do with penetration but a "lot more" than weight I just don't know. How would you figure that out? Many, I suspect, would/could argue that momentum is a better measure of an arrows ability to penetrate vs. the KE. Weight if I'm not mistaken ups the momentum vs. speed for KE.

Bill K.

Bill K.
weight over speed will get you higher KE/deeper penetration....two arrows made with same brand broadhead but with different weights....

arrow "A" 20" alum 2117 (240gr) w/ 100gr slick trick, alum insert (25gr), 4" vanes (27gr), alum nock (25gr) = 417gr

arrow "B" 20" alum 2117 (240gr w/ 125gr slick trick, brass insert (110gr), 4" vanes (27gr), alum nock (25gr) = 527gr

arrow B will have higher KE over arrow A traveling faster then B....weight gives you deeper penetration as it has higher KE then a lighter faster arrow....like the saying goes "give me a heavier more stable arrow over any faster lighter arrow" :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

plus also that's like a commercial i seen on tv with big wide 2" and 3" expandibles vs small fixed head's trying to say they penetrate deeper then the smaller fixed head's....but i bet they used a heavier arrow with the expandible to get deeper penetration in the gel block they had used....my thinking is there is no way a huge expandible with more cutting area/surface will penetrate deeper then a smaller fixed head of the same weight in the same weight arrow with less cutting area/surface, it is simple physics.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Heres a penetration test that I did, Ive post this before and yes we don't hunt tractor tires, if you look you'll see the ones that didn't make it thru both sides, anyones favorite BH there, all shot from the same bow, same distance. the weight of three was 500gr, the one that went thru was 352grs with COC bh. 352grs, 350fps=95.77KE. To me they all get the job done, theres no wrong with lite or heavy, it's just I like speed and the only reason I got a 225lb is because they don't make 250lb xcal.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

PA_DeerHunter wrote:
secret wrote:If no one believes bob heres the math
295fps x 295fps=87,025 x550=47,863.750 divided by gravity constant 450,240=106.307 KE
Like I said, it is not the math I doubt. I know the formula for determining KE. Anyone can plug numbers into a formula and get an answer.

Again, for those who seem to have difficulty understanding, it is the velocity I am doubting. How does a 200 lb Exocet generate 295 fps and 106 ft.lbs. KE, with a 550 grain arrow...AND with 15.5" of draw length? My own Vortex (also a 200 lb bow and 15.5" draw length) shoots a 450 grain arrow (that's 100 grains lighter than Bob's 550 grain arrow) at 298 fps, for 89 ft. lbs of KE. That's quite a difference!

For fun, I built a 560 grain arrow with the heaviest components I could find. Results: My 200 lb. Vortex shoots a 560 grain arrow at 276 fps., for 94.7 ft.lbs KE.

Now, I understand that not every bow will shoot the same, not even bows of the same model, but the velocity and energy of Bob's Exocet (200 lb., 15.5 " draw) is on par with an Exomag or Equinox bows (225 lb., 16.5" draw lengths)....AND his bow is doing this with 1" less draw length???

Arrow type, fletch type have nothing to do with launch speed. If Bob's bow is pushing a 550 grain arrow at 295 fps., then I want to see it! I am willing to eat crow, and bow down at Bob's feet and tell him I am not worthy to speak with him again. But I want to see a 550 grain arrow luanch from his Exocet at 295 fps.
Man let it go!! Last thing we need on this forum is another pissin contest!! If bob says he's shootin 295fps then I believe him...got no reason to doubt him!! It doesn't change my life either way!!
I chrony my vortex (200#) last weeknd ...393gr arrow shot 314 / 314 / 315 some may believe it,some not...could give a rats ass either way.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
secret

Post by secret »

What i like most about this shaft is when it cuts through 30+ mph winds while hunting!!!! and you dont even have to put a 1916 shaft inside your shaft to achieve this!!!!!!Gold Tip Rules!!!!
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

automated11 wrote:
Limbs and Sticks wrote:Heres a penetration test that I did, Ive post this before and yes we don't hunt tractor tires, if you look you'll see the ones that didn't make it thru both sides, anyones favorite BH there, all shot from the same bow, same distance. the weight of three was 500gr, the one that went thru was 352grs with COC bh. 352grs, 350fps=95.77KE. To me they all get the job done, theres no wrong with lite or heavy, it's just I like speed and the only reason I got a 225lb is because they don't make 250lb xcal.

Wes

Did you try the COC broadhead with the 500 grain arrow?

Yes I did, the results were the fletchings were inside the middle of the tire, more penetration,
what I want to do is put the other bhs on my 2114 and see how that works, don't want to put out 90.00$ to see? Like I said they all get it done.

I know I would get sea-sick in a tree stand with 30 mph plus winds :mrgreen:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bob1961 wrote:
bkisel wrote: Hi,

Bill K.

Bill K.
weight over speed will get you higher KE/deeper penetration....two arrows made with same brand broadhead but with different weights....

arrow "A" 20" alum 2117 (240gr) w/ 100gr slick trick, alum insert (25gr), 4" vanes (27gr), alum nock (25gr) = 417gr

arrow "B" 20" alum 2117 (240gr w/ 125gr slick trick, brass insert (110gr), 4" vanes (27gr), alum nock (25gr) = 527gr

arrow B will have higher KE over arrow A traveling faster then B....weight gives you deeper penetration as it has higher KE then a lighter faster arrow....like the saying goes "give me a heavier more stable arrow over any faster lighter arrow" :wink: .........bob

And ALL will go through a deer like a hot sharp knife through butter. You guys are talking about penetration like you can't get your arrows through a deer. I don't see the big deal.

I've had very few arrows not make the trip all the way through(even with my Bear Whitetail Hunter) a deer . . and all those almost made the trip and still dropped the deer. For the most part, it doesn't matter. Sure, there is a chance . . .if it worries you that bad, then shoot a 7MM.

Seriously, it's not enough of an issue to get your camo in a wad.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

no camo wads here :lol: ....just stating what i hear and know bout penetration and speed with KE....my arrows have no problem blowing through deer even the 50 yard shot i found 20 yards past where the deer was standing :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
secret

Post by secret »

ImageGold Tip Lazer IV specs .272 id .348 od 13.9 gpi total 20" 278grn shaft Impressive add 130 up front 31grn nock 27 vanes 100grn tip and you got yourself the 278
666 grain "KILLER' Speed dosnt kill Wasp SST Hammers Kill !!!!!

Behind this Shaft
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
secret

Post by secret »

Lets say your bow shoots 280fps 280 x280 =78400x 666=52214400 divided by gravity constant 450240=115.970 KE
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string