Newbie to hunting looking on opinions/advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FISH-ON

Newbie to hunting looking on opinions/advice

Post by FISH-ON »

Morning boys, I recently converted from a diehard river angler (hence the name) and finally got into the world of hunting and can't seem to get enough of it. My question is I was looking into purchasing a crossbow to expand my deer hunting opportunities (Oct) as i'm from Toronto and was wondering would it be worth purchasing the Equinox pkg right from the start or should I start off smaller fps package (ie. Ibex or smaller). I'm 5'7 160 lbs and i'm concerned with the draw weight of 225lbs compared to 150-175lbs, i'm realitively healthy and exercise and play sports anually to keep in shape but i'm hearing the draw weight seems to be an issue sometimes with certain hunters and even an extra 25lbs of draw weight makes the difference for some...should I be concerned? or close my eyes and go with the strongest (Equinox), i'm asking cause I may consider the purchase if there is a deal the Sportsman Show next week. From the hunting buddies i've asked, everyone has told me to go with the Equinox ....any opinions will be appreciated...thanks

FISH-ON
Normous

Re: Newbie to hunting looking on opinions/advice

Post by Normous »

Welcome,
You local dealer should have all the models, or go to one that does. Try cocking all of them. Also determine which one fits you better, length, weight, thumbhole, etc.
Let us know what works best for you.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Tom

Post by Tom »

What poundage bow you will require will all depend on what you want it for and what you want out of it. Remember that even the 150lb models are more then enough bow to harvest a moose.

If you are a speed freak then you will probably not be happy with anything other then the fastest. But with the fastest, comes a cost. The cost will be in the energy you need to load into the bow each time you load it. If you only going to shoot a little here & a little there, then the extra poundage will not add up to much, or tire you out much more on your part. If your going to shoot a lot, practice or family outings then I would recommend going with a 175-200lb model. Another problem with the higher poundage is that they do have a tendency to wear through strings a little faster.

Good luck
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

IF you are in good shape, then I doubt the weight will be an issue for you. Using the cocking rope, there is very little difference between the 225# and the 200# . . .actually, 12.5#s of pull. You will want to use the cocking rope regardless of the poundage because of the consistancy in the cocking. The benefit of cutting the pull weight in half is just a nice bonus.

You really need to try out the bows as enormous suggested. Get the one that feels most comfortable when aiming freehand.

I'm 5'9" , 160#s and the Exomax is easy for me. The Vixen is easier to carry around and that is the best benefit to having the smaller poundage bow.

As Tom said . . .all these bows willl kill a moose. Get the bow that feels best in your hands.

With that said, I am a speed freak. I like the flat trajectory. I like being able to put on a large, wide cut, broadhead and know it's still shooting flat and going all the way through the deer I hunt.

Do like I did . . .get two.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

I'm 63 years old, 5' 7", reasonably fit and weigh 160lbs. However, I couldn't easily cock the larger Excalibur models when I tried at the dealer's, just not tall enough, but an Ibex, with a slightly shortened cocking devise, works fine for me. Don't underrate the 175's,
cheers,
David
michaelrbauer

Post by michaelrbauer »

I am soon to be 65, 5' 10" 200lbs and shoot a Vortex. I use the cocking rope and have no trouble at all. 5 years ago I had triple bypass and a valve replaced. but otherwise healthy.
Vortex, Lumiscope, 100 gr spitfires
43.11 N 88.22 W
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

enormous wrote:Welcome,
You local dealer should have all the models, or go to one that does. Try cocking all of them. Also determine which one fits you better, length, weight, thumbhole, etc.
Let us know what works best for you.
Welcome to the forum! :)
enormous hit the nail right on the head.
Good luck with your purchase.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
killshot

Post by killshot »

Nothing else to be said except.

Welcome aboard.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome!!! :D
Can't add much to the great advice you already got!!
As was previously stated...don't under estimate the 175's, I took a nice georgia hog (nature's tank) this year with my ibex.
Shoot as many model's as you can and choose the one that fit's you.
Can't go wrong with any excal.!!!
Good Luck!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum!
Cant go wrong with any of them. Really. You cant.
If you by the e'nox and tire of it your used bow is still worth almost as much as new. Buy what fits you best and by the time youve fired a hundred shots you will know. Excaliburs sell quickly, especially close to season opener.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
secret

Post by secret »

Welcome!!!! Pick a model and go kill some deer!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
FISH-ON

Post by FISH-ON »

Excellent forum here guys, glad to read the info./feedback....guess I'll head on down to BPS and get a better feel for which but it sure helps the cause if your holding an 350fps x-bow for a 40yd shot
Now I just gotta make some time In Oct...if any guys don't mind me tagging along let me know :)
Thanks
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Welcome fellow Torontonian. I decided a few years ago to go with the Exocet 200. I chose the most powerful bow that I could hand cock. I use the rope cocker to cock the bow intially but figured for quick reloads I should be able to cock it confortably by hand. This has gotten me my first buck a few yars ago as the first shot hit a branch and he was kind enough to come back to the call.

I recommend you go to the sportsman show next week and cock all the bows by hand and see what you think. Rememeber doing it once on a showrrom floor can be very different from doing it ina stand with your first buck inf ront of you.

F
bommer

Post by bommer »

Weicome I started with an exomax several years ago , took several deer and an elk I even purchased a crank a roo which made cocking easer but for me a hassle. I sold the exomax here on the forum and now own a phoenix which is working well. the diference between 225# and 175# for me made a lot of diference. Look down the road maybe five years. but excals hold there value and if its a problem just do what I did. Again welcome to the group there are lots of good folks here who are willing to help us out with questions .I know they have helped Me.
FISH-ON

Post by FISH-ON »

As well do most guys hunt from the ground or use a tree stand using a crossbow for deer?
Last edited by FISH-ON on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.