Now I am purplexed on which crossbow brand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Aero320

Re: Now I am purplexed on which crossbow brand

Post by Aero320 »

OK, as an update, I have been researching the Parker Cyclone and Ten Point Turbo. I found an Excaliber Dealer in Cookville, TN that has several Excals, some parkers, and some other brands. I am going to visit him on Saturday (all of this rain has screwed up fishing for a while) and will be able to shoot the Excals and some other brands. This should be helpful. He has on the the PSE AR15 crossbows but they do not have a target that will stop the arrows!
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

one shot scott wrote:Which ten point is quiet? For it to be a fair comparison you must compare recurve to recurve, compound to compound!!!

The selling features of the excalibur(recurve) is this: simplicity, lack of mainenance, and warranty/support that excal gives each of their customers. 5 minutes and youve just changed your string. Noise? yep, but its not going to effect your harvest numbers. The only one its going to bother is you and it wont mean a thing to the deer you've just shot. Even then there are ways to bring the noise down by using a string stopper, different string, etc.. but dont let noise be your primary concern when buying a bow. They are close range tools.
Well said my thoughts exactly

One more thing when you get into it you can even make your own strings 8 strings for the cost of one. :D
Tenpoint Matrix
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

You are best to find dealer that only carries one brand of bow. Say a tenpoint dealer, then you could tell them how wonderful another company is and go down the list doing that for all of them. I hear you get good deals doing that. How old are you by the way?
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

Wheelie, I will be 60 next month.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
Big John

Post by Big John »

Reeeally. :roll: Not sure what to make of this thread.
But it sure is different.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cossack wrote: The compound is like a trophy wife, lots of maintenance required and being afraid of doing something wrong that will set her off every time I pick her up.
The Excals are there every time I need them. Never a disappointment or hitch.

I love the comparison. :D AND, you are dead on the money. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Aero320 wrote:OK, as an update, I have been researching the Parker Cyclone and Ten Point Turbo. I found an Excaliber Dealer in Cookville, TN that has several Excals, some parkers, and some other brands. I am going to visit him on Saturday (all of this rain has screwed up fishing for a while) and will be able to shoot the Excals and some other brands. This should be helpful. He has on the the PSE AR15 crossbows but they do not have a target that will stop the arrows!
There are many reasons I have an Excalibur:

1. Their warranty service is awesome in the very unlikely event that you need it.
2. I can do all of my own basic maintenance without ever bringing it into a shop. I can even change a string in the field and know that the POI will not change.
3. At the end of a hunt I can use the cocking rope to let down the xbow without shooting it and just walk out of the woods as it doesn't have an Dry Fire Inhibitor (DFI).
4. The crossbow shoots far better than I am capable of shooting it.

All crossbows are loud by comparison to a vertical bow. It is just the nature of the beast. If you keep your shots to reasonable archery distances it will be one of the last sounds that the deer ever hears. You didn't completely fill out your profile with your location so just make sure that you check the regulations where you live some states have poundage limits, width restrictions, and arrow weight minimums as well; so just check before you buy.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Pros and cons. Pluses and minuses. My two brothers and the 3-4 other hunting buds that shoot CBs all have chosen compound CBs and ride the hell out of me for choosing and much preferring my Exocet 200. Maybe I just shoot an Excalibur to tick them off? :)

Bill K.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

bkisel wrote:Pros and cons. Pluses and minuses. My two brothers and the 3-4 other hunting buds that shoot CBs all have chosen compound CBs and ride the hell out of me for choosing and much preferring my Exocet 200. Maybe I just shoot an Excalibur to tick them off? :)

Bill K.
next time look at them and there xbows, then just look down at the ground shaking your head....then look up at them and say "i didn't need any stinking training wheels on my bike when i was younger, and i sure as hell don't need no stinking training wheels on my xbow....but i see you guys do" then with a big loud :lol: just turn and walk away :wink: ....every time my friend comes over with his training wheels and gets ready to shoot, i make like i'm ready to dive for cover....he asks what am i doing, i say i'm ready for the explosion to happen and want to be prepard for it :lol: ......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
secret

Post by secret »

Things you will need with your choice

Any wheeled crossbows[except pse tac 10 15]

cabels
Bow press
many extra strings
timing tools for cams
someone who knows how to work on your bow
carrying a target to unload your bow

Excaliburs

your brain
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
maple

Post by maple »

Why base your decision on the helpful comments of these forum members.

They (all 4500 of 'em?) don't have much experience with crossbows over the last 10 years.

Go figure.

Maple
Aero320

UPDATE: Re: Now I am purplexed on which crossbow brand

Post by Aero320 »

Last evening, I visited Bass Pro and looked at Excal, Parker Tornado, Ten Point Turbo, and Horton Vision. Pretty much eliminated Ten Point because of the safety noise and Horton because of the unorthodox design. That left Excal and Parker. This morning visited another archery shop that had a shooting range and shot an Excal Vortex and a Parker Buck Buster (they did not have the Parker Tornado available). WOW, this was the first time I ever shot a crossbow. Both were loud compared to my Matthews Switchback. While the Excal may have been a little louder (I think the frequency was maybe a little higher) a deer would most definitely hear either. And the S5 system might help a little. Once noise is ruled out, I kept looking at the simplicity of the Excal recurve design and the ease of service (as many have pointed out on this thread). My purchase is going to be an Excal (either Axion, Phoneix, or Exocet 200) with the S5 system. Also, the Excal optics seem to be clearer than the others that I looked at.

Summary: First, thanks for all of you who made comments on the thread, they were all appreciated. Secondly, go shoot some crossbows first so that you have an idea how much noise that they really make. The comments that you hear that "this bow is quieter" is more like saying a 12 gauge low brass shell makes less noise than a 12 gauge high brass shell, both make an incredible amount of noise so the difference is insignificant. I think I will buy the basic bow with the peep sight now and add the other optics later in the summer (need to see how I come out on taxes first, should know next week).

Thanks for everyone's help!
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

One other thought. A compound crossbow would need to be purchased from a local bow shop (even if you have the equipment). I think you can purchase and Excal mailorder and would have no problems with it. That could save $100!
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome Aero320!

You won't regret your choice, no matter what model you end up choosing.

About the noise - if you keep your shots close and true the arrow will pass through the deer before the sound arrives. Not many here will advocate for shots over 30 yds while hunting.

For 3D it won't matter - the targets are deaf. :D (But you might want to invest in a Danny Miller arrow puller!)

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I knew you would come around :wink:

Save up for the S5. worth every penny.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-