Re: Now I am purplexed on which crossbow brand

Post by one shot scott »

I knew you would come around :wink:

Save up for the S5. worth every penny.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

An educated consumer you are! You have done your home work!
The best things in life are not things!!
roly

Post by roly »

Areo welcome to the forum,
if you buy the other brand

Look at the fun you will miss here :lol: :lol:
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

Excalibur Exocet 200 on order! After much research, I finally placed the order today. I started looking at the Vortex then got sidetracked to some other brands before coming back to Excalibur. What really discouraged me from the compound crossbows was watching the slow motion videos of the cables and wheels after a shot. I realized then that ordering a compound crossbow online (and taking advantage of the better pricing) would not likely be wise because the maintenance that would eventually be required would mandate that I purchased from a local bow shop in case I needed service and parts even though I have a bow press, etc.

I started out looking at a Vortex and found out I could easily cock the bow using the cocking aid so I was not worried about power. I liked the feel of the Phoenix much better than the Ibex and the Vortex for what ever reason (thumbhole stock). I then thought about the Axiom because it is a very good deal for the complete package. But I wondered if I would regret not having the extra power of the 200 pound bow versus the 175 pound bow (which might let me make that slightly longer shot someday). Then, I found out that the Phoenix and Exocet shared the same size stock and that the Exocet 200 was simply 1" longer in the front. That will effect balance but not how the bow fit me (I am 6' tall and weigh about 260). Finally, the basic bow price difference between the Phoenix and Exocet 200 was only $40, so I went with the Exocet 200.

Watching every video on the Excalibur website, made me realize that I could easily set the bow up and maintain it (because of the simplicity of the design). Then I started looking for pricing online and through this forum found Dan Miller. Called Dan and talked to him about my bow purchase, got pricing and some advice, thought about it a little more, and called Dan and placed the order. Ordered the Exocet 200, S5, rope cocking aid, stringing aid, and extra string. Will ship tomorrow! Plan on adding the Lumi-Zone scope and other stuff later.

Thanks for all of the advice from this forum!
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

You have done everything right! Even if you had bought another brand we would not have shunned you, most members here have bows from other companies too, but excalibur is hard to beat as far as crossbows are concerned.

Welcome to the club!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
saxman

Post by saxman »

I didn't read all the post but I'll chime in anyway.
The deafest deer can hear the quietest crossbow any and every day.
Buy the bow that has the features you want and keep your shots within bow hunting range and you'll be fine.
I would however stronly endorse the Excalibur line of bows.
Many a whitetail has fallen to mine.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Good on ya for doing the research but when it came to buy my first real crossbow I asked a couple of bow hunters I know and was told Excalibur is the only way to go.That was good enough for me.
Tenpoint Matrix
secret

Post by secret »

Welcome to the club! Good choice! Exocets rule!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on choosing and ordering your new Excal.
Enjoy setting it up and shooting it when it arrives.

Happy hunting and safe shooting to you! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
smitty likes hunting

Post by smitty likes hunting »

I went through the same thing making my mind up. I seen a reveiw on crossbows and the noise difference at 3 feet was not as much as I was told. They are both fine bows, but I like the simplicity of the excals. So I decided on the vortex now that I have it and have shot it I am very happy with my choice :D you will not be disappointed they are vey accurate and you cant beat being able to change your string by yourself out in the woods if something happens to it and not having to shoot an arrow in ground every time you sit.
stikman

Post by stikman »

just bought axiom package, my first crossbow, i put it together and took it out side and shot at 10 yards and all 4 arrows were on the mark, moved to 20 yards shot four arrows all grouped tight in kill zone, invited my wife to try she shot her first bow of any time plus she has never used a scope and her first four shots were to my amazement all grouped in a tight wad. i didnt even hav to adjust the scope and now i hav a new hunting partner.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

ive shot them all before deciding on an excal, simplistic, but it was also the most accurate , which if it isnt accurate noise speeed all that other stuff means nothing, you can change a string in field in no time a minute or two, the quietest xbow i shot was a buck commander real quiet but it was worthles beyond 25 yards, i use a 512 grain aluminum bolt setup and have killed several deer at 50plus they didnt have a clue to what hit them, even tho you have a bow press i have one also but if something happens to your string you still have to go home and deal with it, with excals you just change right in field i have an exomax and axiom i like them both you cant lose with an excal,, as far as noise they can be quited but mines naked and never had a problem even at 50 yards
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

loudest, quietest, it don't matter !!! all that matters now is......

YOU GOT THE BEST BRAND THERE IS :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Aero320 wrote: quiet is more important than speed because arrows travel way below the speed of sound.

I have found that at 40 yards or less . . .300 FPS and the speed of sound are relatively the same to a deer. :wink:

You did good . . .enjoy. :mrgreen:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TYE

Post by TYE »

Nothin beats an Excalibur! ....except a Bowtech compound :wink:

Seriously though, I've never felt with better customer service or shot a more accurate crossbow that Excalibur.

And not to mention Excalibur has in my opinion and I'm sure many others, the best community in the hunting industry!