Long distance scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

Long distance scopes

Post by Dash »

I'm looking for advise from anyone who shoots more than 50 yards regularly. Just for target work of course. Are we limited to using only gun scopes after 50-60 yards or is there one around I haven't come across?
Whats scopes have some of you guys tried for longer distance so far?
Raymond

Re: Long distance scopes

Post by Raymond »

Hey Darren,
When I was shooting all the time before I got sick, I was target shooting out as far as 100 yards with my Equinox with a lumi-zone scope. When I first began I took a few shots to judge where to place my scope on the target, but it would be nice to have a scope for that distance if you were in tournaments shooting those distances. I must say it was fun just seeing how far of a distance I could be to hit the bull eye.
Raymond
Dash

Post by Dash »

Yeah I'm the same Raymond, without the reference points past 50 it takes a few shots to work it out. But it would be nice to have more chevrons/marks on the recticle to limit the amount of guesswork needed. I suppose as these crossbows are for mainly hunting, they don't want people getting cocky and think they can hunt with them distances.
Last edited by Dash on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Have you checked out the review of the HHA, just 3 or 4 postings down?
Raymond
Dash

Post by Dash »

Its a good idea, but feel I could trust the accuracy of a good scope alone with more chevrons than adding another variable into the equation. But if other scope options aren't available for longer distance I may give it a try. Cheers mate.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There's alot of scopes with mil-dots, alot of shooting to figure your distance's, but who minds alot of shooting. Food for thought

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

they don't want people getting cocky and think they can hunt with them distances.
That is exactly the reason . It is amazing the number of people who even take those shots at deer beyond the chevrons . :? :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Esox

Post by Esox »

I don't know if your shoot allows adjustable scopes/mounts or not but the best set up for shooting long distances for crossbows is made by Wolfszeit Armbrust. It's an adjustable scope mount (specifically for Excals) and it allows you to use a scope with a single crosshair out to very long distances. It's made in Germany and a few years ago is was going for about 308 euros but by far it's the slickest thing for shooting Excals long (100+yds) distances accurately... Do a search for Woldszeit here and see some of the previous threads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Esox wrote:I don't know if your shoot allows adjustable scopes/mounts or not but the best set up for shooting long distances for crossbows is made by Wolfszeit Armbrust. It's an adjustable scope mount (specifically for Excals) and it allows you to use a scope with a single crosshair out to very long distances. It's made in Germany and a few years ago is was going for about 308 euros but by far it's the slickest thing for shooting Excals long (100+yds) distances accurately... Do a search for Woldszeit here and see some of the previous threads.
To my knowledge no scope that will allow the use of the crosshairs at 100 yards combined with magnification that will permit precision without the use of something special between the scope and crossbow. You would need a pretty wild range of vertical adjustment.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dash

Post by Dash »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I got a few things to look into there. That Woldzeit product thing sounds like it works on a similar principal to the HHA.
liketoshoot

Post by liketoshoot »

Dash
I have not had the opportunity to shoot past 30yds yet... I purchased a Parker Pin Point with the single cross hair and optional illuminated red or green dot. On this scope you adjust the top turret knob after (setting the botton adjustment screw for a 10yd target)
The bottom adjustment elevates the scope and the turret knob changes your point of impact for the yardage you want to shoot. It comes with several stickers that attach to the turret knob depending on the speed of your bow. It also has blank stickers that you mark for the yardage you want to shoot. Some of the stickers go up to 85 yds...
It is a nice scope. 1.25 to 4 power. I would buy it again if I had too. I imagine if you contacted Parker they could give you the information you are looking for...
shoot more and shoot more often
Esox

Post by Esox »

If you'd like to see some long range (110 yds) shooting with an Excal go to the Video Section on Matthias's website at www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org. The website is in English and Italian and has a ton of information on distance shooting crossbows. Shooting from a prone position he places them pretty well at 100 and 110 yds...

Also look up the WCSA for target shooting with crossbows. They do it standing up...

This long distance shooting is only recommended for target shooting. There's way too many variables for ethical hunting shots at such distances. However, if you want to have some off season fun with your Excal....it's a hoot....
Dash

Post by Dash »

I prefer crosshairs to chevrons too. And a bigger magnification if possible.
I was hopeing to get the equinox setup to shoot the 70 & 90 meter targets next year, and see how I go. I think mathias may use one of them Wolfszeit Armbrust scope adjusting thingy's for his long distance. I'll try to contact him and get some more info on them. Its all in german on the sites.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

leupold will allow you to send them a scope and change it to a multi reticle. you have to give them the drop figures and they will set the scope up for you. dont know the cost. they will also change the parallax on a rifle scope from 150 to 30 yards to be more xbow friendly. then there are those who just use the rifle scopes as is with no problems. if you want a custom scope i guess ts worth to call them.
Dash

Post by Dash »

That would be a good option. Cheers, I'll look into it.