How NOT to uncock your Xbow!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Re: How NOT to uncock your Xbow!!

Post by VixChix »

OW OW OW OW OW!!!!!!! :cry:

I hope you heal quickly and without any further complications!

After one hunt this winter my hands were too cold to fumble with attaching the hooks of the rope cocker for uncocking so I decided I'd let it down by hand. It's a Vixen so it's not that big a deal. My fingers were too cold and I didn't have a good grip and the string slipped off my fingers when I pulled the trigger. It was a semi dryfire. The pain of the string on the fingers for hours afterward reinforced the lesson. In the future I'll carry the bow cocked and unloaded until I work up some warmth before uncocking.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Geeze John! Hope you can play the piano when it heals!
I had the same thing happen. It was almost dark and I thought I had both hooks engage. When I released the string the left handle came around and broke itself against the rail! What a noise! From here on in I am putting the hooks on from underneath so I can make sure both fully engage the string. :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Thought I could uncock a Vortex with my gloves on with no cocking aid.
Luckily I was not hurt but my gloves went for a ride as I tried to do this sitting down .
Tenpoint Matrix
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I left one hook on string and shot my bow. Blood everywhere and broke he plastic handle on my baby finger. Was not fun. They can jump up and bite you pretty quick.
Boo

Post by Boo »

planter wrote:That would be great Don seeing as I could not play before the "incident". I am at least comforted in knowing I am not the only one to experience something that is least similar. :)
How about the harmonica? :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it's called complacency.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Geez . . .Planter, that's got to hurt. :cry: Hopefully, it will heal before next season.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

planter wrote:I have dryfired my bow (once) and I have shot it with my thumb above the rail (once) and thought I had covered all the DUH :roll: possibilities there were. I was wrong however and can add one more thing to the list!! :x :) :(

Do NOT become complacent when unloading your bow using the string cocker. It was dark and my hands were cold but I have done it 100's of times. Not even sure exactly what happened :? . I either looped the rope around the bow string or let one hook fall off but when I pulled the trigger all hell broke loose resulting in a thumb broken in not ONE but TWO places.

I am the first one that I know of who has done this and I will tell you that not only is it very STUPID, it hurts as well. :( :oops: :cry: I just wish I had someone to blame but all I'm left with is me!! When the plastic handle impacted my thumb it near dropped me to my knees and I will be much more careful in the future I guarantee!!

If anyone can offer any sage wisdom concerning addtional DUH moment possibilities please let me know as I would like to avoid them. :D :? :shock: :cry:
I have a friend who went to let down his Excal but forgot to remove the arrow. Fortunately he realized his mistake when he felt the pressure of the arrow on his boot/foot.

Stuff happens. I hope that your thumb will heal quickly and not interfere with turkey season.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
strum

Post by strum »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
planter wrote:I have dryfired my bow (once) and I have shot it with my thumb above the rail (once) and thought I had covered all the DUH :roll: possibilities there were. I was wrong however and can add one more thing to the list!! :x :) :(

Do NOT become complacent when unloading your bow using the string cocker. It was dark and my hands were cold but I have done it 100's of times. Not even sure exactly what happened :? . I either looped the rope around the bow string or let one hook fall off but when I pulled the trigger all hell broke loose resulting in a thumb broken in not ONE but TWO places.

I am the first one that I know of who has done this and I will tell you that not only is it very STUPID, it hurts as well. :( :oops: :cry: I just wish I had someone to blame but all I'm left with is me!! When the plastic handle impacted my thumb it near dropped me to my knees and I will be much more careful in the future I guarantee!!

If anyone can offer any sage wisdom concerning addtional DUH moment possibilities please let me know as I would like to avoid them. :D :? :shock: :cry:
I have a friend who went to let down his Excal but forgot to remove the arrow. Fortunately he realized his mistake when he felt the pressure of the arrow on his boot/foot.
Stuff happens. I hope that your thumb will heal quickly and not interfere with turkey season.

Bob
thats what i did ,put a nice little 3 blade cut in my boot and a small scar on my toe..then i almost did it again a few weeks later..
sorry to hear that happened to you planter,,hope you get well soon..love to hear that piano :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
strum

Post by strum »

they were my favorite boots..Lacrose burley 800s now if i go across any water i have to hop on my left foot :lol: :lol:
i could feel the blood building up in them but i wasnt about to take em off till i got home..not as bad as it could have been but i did touch bone :shock: also when i realized what was happening i pulled back on the rope and the arrow stayed put and when i pulled my foot out of the stirrup it busted the arrow..so ruined arrow,boot, pride,,oh and messed up toe..
i got the dry fire done (i hope) and the arrow in the foot done (still i hope ) hammered my thumb one time with a friend crossbow thats a painfull deal :cry: now i want to thank yall for the heads up on the rope cocker disasters..im a guitar player so i dont want to be bustin fingers..I would love to see a list of all the blunders old and new dont have to be about crossbows only ..i bet its a monster of a list..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

That sort of toke a lot of guts to admit that Planter. I've been lucky so far but the longer it takes the closer I am to it happening. Man, that must have hurt. :shock:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Dumbest thing I ever did...hunting related that is!!!
Opening day bow season three yrs ago, everybody met at my house at 4:00 am, when we got ready to go my buddy's truck wouldn't start...no problem just put your stuff in my truck, we gotta go!!!!!
Well when I put his climber in the back of my truck I had to take my bow out to make some room so i set in on the ground...well you guessed it, drove 30 miles to my hunting area before i remembered!!!
Worst part was waking sweetie up at 5:00 in the am to go outside and get my "precious damn toy!!"
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
saxman

Post by saxman »

I hope you heal up quick.
That must hurt!!!!!
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Joystyx

Post by Joystyx »

Ouch !
Wish you a quick recovery.
2010 Exomax - Leupold VX-I - HHA Speed Dial
2008 Relayer Y25 #954 -VariZone - S5
A bunch of Firebolts
Shockwaves & Crimson Talons
Inter arma silent leges
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

georgiaboy wrote:Dumbest thing I ever did...hunting related that is!!!
Opening day bow season three yrs ago, everybody met at my house at 4:00 am, when we got ready to go my buddy's truck wouldn't start...no problem just put your stuff in my truck, we gotta go!!!!!
Well when I put his climber in the back of my truck I had to take my bow out to make some room so i set in on the ground...well you guessed it, drove 30 miles to my hunting area before i remembered!!!
Worst part was waking sweetie up at 5:00 in the am to go outside and get my "precious damn toy!!"
Could have been alot worst, atleast you never backed over it. hehehehe Thought that's were you were going with the story.
strum

Post by strum »

wheelie wrote:
georgiaboy wrote:Dumbest thing I ever did...hunting related that is!!!
Could have been alot worst, atleast you never backed over it. hehehehe Thought that's were you were going with the story.
I done that too :roll: im a idiot ran over mine
heres how it went..
I parked my truck on the high road..walked down the mt crossed the low road ...climbed a tree ..shot a doe,,
came down ..put all my gear on the low road..walked up the mt to the high road ..drove my truck down..backed in ..forgot the gear ,,
remembered my gear :D ..too late :( messed up a good hoyt.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony