Crossbow Hunter Image

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

novacam

Crossbow Hunter Image

Post by novacam »

I was reading a post by georgiaboy that went something like this, "my bow shop is anti xbow and would only work on my horton when he didn't have any real bows", what's with that? When I went with an Excal over a new compound my shooting buddies grumbled and congratulated me on my new "gun". I've read reasons why people use crossbows and it seems they need to explain why they do so, usually age or disability. I choose to use a crossbow but people look down at me for this choice. Any ideas why this may be or us it just me??
one shot scott

Re: Crossbow Hunter Image

Post by one shot scott »

Yes there is a very vocal minority. Next time someone gives you a hard time offer to let them try out your bow. Most times they dont have any understanding what a crossbow is about, and it cant hurt to introduce them to it. But really you shouldnt owe anyone any explanation for shooting what you want. Im 35 years old and can pull back any bow that I wanted to and yet I still choose to add a crossbow to my list. If your buddys continue to give you a hard time about your excal, find new buddies.

Ontario is generally crossbow friendly, yet I still hear the odd remark about crossbowers being cheaters or they are refered as womens bows. :roll:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

With thinking like that he may very well have to switch his thinking if every one switches over to crossbows or close up shop.
On the other hand he may not know what he is doing to start with :lol: See we all can look down on someone :wink: I would just over look the ones that act that way and watch them change when they see you bringing home the meat when they are not.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

novacam wrote: I was reading a post by georgiaboy that went something like this, "my bow shop is anti xbow and would only work on my horton when he didn't have any real bows", what's with that? When I went with an Excal over a new compound my shooting buddies grumbled and congratulated me on my new "gun". I've read reasons why people use crossbows and it seems they need to explain why they do so, usually age or disability. I choose to use a crossbow but people look down at me for this choice. Any ideas why this may be or us it just me??
it is not you and no there is nothing wrong with you....but it's just them that don't know the facts or even want to, because they will be proven wrong and you will have the last laugh :lol: ....
one shot scott wrote: yet I still hear the odd remark about crossbowers being cheaters
have you seen any new compounds out on the market lately :shock: ....all boast over 345fps and come with all the newest hitech gadgets you would want on a compound :roll: ....heck with just a release i can hold my 65% letoff 60 pound compound for bout 10 minutes before i need to shoot it holding bout 26 pounds....never made it over 2/3 minutes shooting bare fingers with it....most compounds today have 80% letoff set at 60 pounds makes them only holding 15 pounds :lol: ....and those compound guys are crying foul for states letting crossbows into there archery seasons :roll: :oops: ....all side by side tests have proved crossbows are no advantage over a compound, but those same test proved compounds holding the lead....but you don't hear crossbow users crying foul with all the hitech junk compound users need :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I can't understand the prejudice against crossbow owners either.
I was wrapped when I "finally" found a president of a club here that would accept a sporting crossbow over here. Good on him.
In a city full of archery clubs, I was getting the cold shoulder from everyone on the phone, and even the smart coments, "Maybe an amatuer kids archery club may be able accomadate you if you ask around".
Rather than lose my cool, I wrote a carefully prepared email to Archery Australia, basically asking why a mature, sensible, 39 year old crossbow archer, can not join an archery club in western australia ? They are "archery" clubs, not just bow clubs aren't they ? I also bought up the fact that thousands of young people are buying these weapons by choice anyway. And just because of prejudice, these people may never learn proper safety points and general shooting etiquette, which is likely to be a bigger problem for archery here in the future. Every once in a while a kid makes the newspaper for stupid things, like shooting a roo or bird on a golf course, furthermore with feild points. These types of incidences would be a lot lower if archery would embrace crossbows here, and bring people through a club environment, where they can learn proper target/hunting rules and etiquette.
Some clubs gave the reason that crossbows chew out the target buts. But when I offered to bring my own target, they then look for another way out.
Unfortunately the anti-crossbow group here are not a minority.
This attitude towards crossbows has got to change.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That attitude is disappearing in a hurry . . .enjoy laughing at it while you have the chance.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I just heard from a hunting buddy that the state of Illinois is about to open up crossbow use for deer hunting to everyone, regardless of age or disability. Right now, it is by permit for disability or anyone over 62 years old. The momentum is ours...it's just a matter of time. 8) Gary
novacam

Post by novacam »

Good points by all, glad to hear I'm not alone, actually sounds worse in Australia.
My province only allows crossbows in rifle season(deer) but that is supposed to change this year, see how that goes. Makes no difference in the end, I shoot what I shoot and couldn't be happier with it!!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Rhett Butler would say [frankly my dear I don't give a dam] shoot what makes you happy :D

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I can`t speak for every jurisdiction but I think alot of these archers are getting older . Here in Ontario we have a TWO AND A HALF month archery season . The persons whom have grumbled about the string cannons are now getting older . All those injuries be it from skiing,moto-cross or full contact backgammon have taken their toll . Now the crossbow is looking pretty darn good to allow them to still enjoy the long season .
Myself I have always just enjoyed shooting anything . Plus I respect the game I`m pursuing to get a clean and humane kill when I`m bundled up like the Michelin tire man . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
cmawdsley

Post by cmawdsley »

Doe Master wrote:Plus I respect the game I`m pursuing to get a clean and humane kill when I`m bundled up like the Michelin tire man.
Well put. I am a much more accurate shooter with a crossbow than a longbow or compound, probably because I've hunted with long guns all my life.
Respect for the animal seems to be almost universal among hunters - versus the killers on some outdoor shows - and not considered by the anti-hunting crowd.
Sometimes it only takes a minute to point out that hunters are conservationists at heart for the critic to understand and acknowledge that we are not animal-haters. Then it's a short step to accepting that we therefore want to harvest the animal with minimal suffering.
Chris Mawdsley,
2011 Exocet 200
Lumizone scope
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

novacam wrote:I was reading a post by georgiaboy that went something like this, "my bow shop is anti xbow and would only work on my horton when he didn't have any real bows", what's with that? When I went with an Excal over a new compound my shooting buddies grumbled and congratulated me on my new "gun". I've read reasons why people use crossbows and it seems they need to explain why they do so, usually age or disability. I choose to use a crossbow but people look down at me for this choice. Any ideas why this may be or us it just me??
Sad to say but this is a true story...man looked me dead in my eye's when he said it!! You should have heard the snickering from the "regulars" standing there with their 3ft long stabilizer's. That was the last time I ever went in that place...told him where to put his pro shop going out the door!!!
Personally I think he did me a favor, did me some research on bows I could work on myself, sold the horton and the rest is history!!!!! Lol
Luckily a buddy of mine has a chrony so I don't even need that jerk to check my bows speed (vortex-318fps 393gr ibex 298fps 368gr )FWI lol
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
saxman

Post by saxman »

Ignorance and misinformation,superstition,folklore.
Most of these people can't give you one legitamate reson for hating the crossbow.
They have heard this misinformation for years and usually go along with the status quo as to not stand out.
Like said before,if they could be educated things would be different.
I find it MUCH easier to hunt with a vert bow thatn a crossbow,I just like the crossbow better.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011