Compression Spring

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Compression Spring

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
What size of a compression spring should I be looking for if I want to reach 300 lbs of compression for my string stretcher. It is a string stretcher that Munch sent me. I seem to find something and I cannot remember what it is. Can someone help me out and send me a PM or email with the info of what type of spring I need? I found a company in Dartmouth, N.S. and a few in Ontario. I lost the info for them, I will have to try and find it again.
Thanks,
Raymond
shafferm

Re: Compression Spring

Post by shafferm »

I am guessing you are trying to place the string under 300 pounds of tension to reduce break in time and for serving. I would suggest adding in a game type scale inline with the string stretcher.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104350680

This way you can monitor the string stretch and adjust the tension as required to maintain it at 300 pounds. You may want to go with a bit higher weight scale upwards of 600 pounds capability if you plan on keeping the string on the stretcher for more than a couple of hours at a time.

The other method that comes to mind would be to calibrate a much larger stiffer spring to give 300 pounds of pull. This will depend on how much room available for that larger spring to sit in the string stretcher with no tension and then how long it will become when under tension of 300 pounds. Carefully measure the large spring with no load say 5cm for example, then add on 300 pounds of weight and measure the new spring length say it reaches 7cm under load.

Now you can take your 300 pound calibrated spring and attach it inline with your string on the stretcher, tighten the stretcher down until the spring stretches the same length (7cm example) as it did under 300 pounds of weight. You will need to adjust the tension as the string stretches to maintain 300 pounds.

Personally I would probably go with a large 600 pound range scale inline with the string so I would be able to read what the tension on the string is at any given time, that is if there is enough room on the stretcher.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Ray, never herd of adding a spring to the equation. You just tweak the serving jighooks til you are way tight and go from there...........
"Eze 18:21"
Stash

Post by Stash »

Yeah, there's nothing magical about 300#. Just tighten the stretcher as hard as you can and serve away.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Motorcycle valve springs:

Lift Kits for 1957 thru 1985 Sportster® Models
Stock-diameter springs with 20% more pressure. Includes steel top collars and uses stock lower collars. Springs 90 lbs. at 1.310", 300 lbs. at .810", bind at .750"..

Don't get Harley, check other bike manufacters. Tractor valve springs would likely be cheaper.
pm sent with pic.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hello Folks,
Thanks for all your answers.
Raymond