Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

redwolf

flashlights for tracking

Post by redwolf »

whats everyone use and looking for good tracking light for night use. :?:
Pydpiper

Re: flashlights for tracking

Post by Pydpiper »

This is one of those questions that is going to get you 100 different replies, and for good reason. Everyone's eyes sees color a bit different, add to that each light is going to illuminate things a bit different. Even with high end lights it is very difficult to find two lights that will emit the same color, even if they are of the same brand.
Best bet is to get a decent light and let your eyes get used to it, let your brain learn what that particular light is going to tell your brain.
I use a Fenix PD30, I use that light every day for many, many reasons, so I have become very accustomed to what it is showing me.
Rumor has it that a Colman lantern is the best for blood tracking, but I fail to see how that would be practical.

When buying a light find one that has a good amount of run-time, and multiple levels of output, two very common things on today's lights. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you live in a cold climate, a flashlight that uses Lithium or Lithium-Ion will significantly outperform any other form of battery when it gets cold.
If you need a hand finding a decent light, I would be happy to help! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Saw the Fenix booth yesterday at the show in TO and thought of you, David! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

hay piper what does that fenix cost and what does the batteries go for.any problem with bulbs or batteries not lasting.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You can get an excellent light for under $100, there are no more "bulbs", although you can still buy a lightbulb flashlight they are becoming outdated, fast.
Have a look here, the TK15 is next on my list.
www.fenixtactical.com
There are rechargable batteries here too (lithium-ion), I have been using the same set for many years with no issues.
Last edited by Pydpiper on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

VixChix wrote:Saw the Fenix booth yesterday at the show in TO and thought of you, David! :lol:
Thanks Mo. :D I didn't make the show this year..
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Been using an inexpensive black light flashlight for finding blood (and arrows fletched with florescent color). Works great.

BTW black light makes cat urine glow phosphorescent, apparently long after it was deposited there. First though a murder had been committed in the bedroom of the rental we were staying in when I first tried the light. :lol: No cat had lived there for some time...but it definitely had been there. :roll:
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I am a big fan of the headlamp style lights for tracking as it leaves both hands free. The Fenix HP10 is an excellent choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-HP10-Level- ... B002RX2QLY
It runs around $65 and uses 4 AA batteries.

The type of batteries used in the light should also be taken into consideration. Do you plan to be using the light intermittently and use disposable batteries, or more regular use and require rechargeable batteries and a charger?
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper wrote:You can get an excellent light for under $100, there are no more "bulbs", although you can still buy a lightbulb flashlight they are becoming outdated, fast.
www.fenixtactical.com
There are rechargable batteries here too (lithium-ion), I have been using the same set for many years with no issues.
Can't wait to get my hands on the TK15 :wink: :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

enormous wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:You can get an excellent light for under $100, there are no more "bulbs", although you can still buy a lightbulb flashlight they are becoming outdated, fast.
www.fenixtactical.com
Can't wait to get my hands on the TK15 :wink: :lol:

I'll make some plans with Alex once he gets home from the sportsman show.. :wink:
WMU 91
Boo string
secret

Post by secret »

Image Wallmart 12.00$ works great High beam low beam and red beam uses 3 aaa batteries i change them once a season
Princton light high beam low beam and SOS 40.00$ Gander Mountain works great i change the batteries once a year
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
strider23

Post by strider23 »

I'm using a Fenix TK20. It goes with me on every hunt. I'll never go back to traditional mag-lite style lamps. It takes AA batteries but the lithium batteries work best (which I buy in bulk at Sam's Club). The amount of light that this little rig puts out is simply amazing. Good luck finding the one you want. :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

secret wrote:Image Wallmart 12.00$ works great High beam low beam and red beam uses 3 aaa batteries i change them once a season
Our local Home Depot put these on sale for $6, I bought every single one that they had. They really are a great light for the price. They went on sale because Energizer put a new one on the market, it has an emitter alongside the 5mm leds.
Watch it with anything that uses Deet, put mine on to collect wood one night at a campfire, the Deet broke down the foam part that contacts your forehead, couldn't figure out why I kept waking up with a black forehead for the whole trip. :D

I use a Zebralight, it uses the same Lithium-Ion cell as all my good lights, so if I pack a couple of them I know I am good to go. It goes dim enough that you can read in a tent without bothering anyone else, or bright enough that I can navigate a canoe through rapids at midnight. It is far from pretty though.

WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have 2 fenix lights and love them but for tracking and blood trailing I like a good ole coleman lantern :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

[quote="Pydpiper"..........................................................

I use a Zebralight, it uses the same Lithium-Ion cell as all my good lights, so if I pack a couple of them I know I am good to go. It goes dim enough that you can read in a tent without bothering anyone else, or bright enough that I can navigate a canoe through rapids at midnight. It is far from pretty though.

Image[/quote]

I followed Pydpiper's advice about headlights and got the same model he has in his picture. I've owned cheaper ones before I got that one. If anyone is willing to pay the shipping, I'll give them away.

The Zebralight is fantastic. It's miles ahead of any product, unless the competition has started to catch up. I haven't bothered to check, and don't plan to, either. If Pydpiper says it's still the best, you can pretty much take that to the bank. He knows his lights.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.