New Exomax or Exocet?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Max-4

New Exomax or Exocet?

Post by Max-4 »

Hey, I am going to buy a new crossbow for hunting here in Ontario mostly for whitetail deer and black bear. I don't like the thumbhole stocks so I am in a toss up between the Exomax 225 or the Exocet 200. I am a bigger guy at 6'1" and 220 pounds so cocking either shouldn't be a problem. Are the heavier draw weight bows harder on strings or make more noise when firing? Is there any benefits of going with a 200 pound bow over a 225? Thanks
Last edited by Max-4 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Re: New Exomax or Exocet?

Post by Boo »

Heck, even the Vixen will take a moose! I say it's an either or either decision. I personally think one should choose the fastest bow you can handle. Nothing wrong with with overkill!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
secret

Post by secret »

Exocets are "alot' easier on strings!!!! and you only loose 20 feet per second!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

My vortex is shooting 318fps...all the speed you need for the critter's you named!!!
And as was mentioned before me, much easier on strings.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
roly

Post by roly »

Boo wrote:Heck, even the Vixen will take a moose! I say it's an either or either decision. I personally think one should choose the fastest bow you can handle. Nothing wrong with with overkill!
I like your thinkin Don!

I don't think you will be upset with either one :)
Big John

Post by Big John »

If you do go with the Exocet, you can it for $599.00 with the Lite Stuff Package
this Saturday at Erie Tracker Outfitters in Pt. Colborne. Excellent Deal!
Otherwise, both bows are Excellent!! :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
diesel

Post by diesel »

Postby Boo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:58 pm
Heck, even the Vixen will take a moose! I say it's an either or either decision. I personally think one should choose the fastest bow you can handle. Nothing wrong with with overkill!

X3

If you can handle the 225 lb get it and shoot heavier arrows will help the bow shoot with less noise and will blast through that shoulder bone if hit.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Buddy i feel for ya, :lol: the game of eenie meenee minnie moe isnt easy, the good news is that no matter which one turn out to be moe: YOU WIN :lol:
Ive had both and you really cant lose!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
hawg hunter

Post by hawg hunter »

Ive had both. You can practice alot more with the exocet because of the poundage . All the speed in the world doesn,t kill if you cant put the arrow in the right spot./ I. throw 20 to 40 bolts every other day . The exomax poops me out and my accuracy sufferers. Ive killed many hogs deer and an elk wih my 200 excet.
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

The Phoenix, Exocet, and Exomax share the same basic traditional stock ( I think). The increased power ia achieved by increasing the draw length by an inch between models. If you compare the pictures of each, the additional length is added in front of the stock (which shifts the balance point forward and makes the bow more front heavy).

When I recently purchased my new Exocet, I had planned to purchase the Phoenix. It turned out that the difference in cost was $40 so I elected to go with the Exocet. If you use the cocking aid, you will only increase the pull by 12.5 pounds. If you are not used to cocking a crossbow, it is probably going to exercise some rarely used muscles so you may feel it for a while.

This Excal crossbow stuff is like a drug; first I was just going to use the peep sight and in three days ordered the Lumizone. Now, $300 for the Vendetta is beginning to sound like a better deal. I have a little website enterprise where I sell the popular green fishing lights online. I set the business up to just pay for my hunting and fishing(I have a real job) and sell the lights all over the world. I am already calculating how many light sales it will take to pay for the Vendetta. The Pigman (Pigman the Series on The Sportsman Channel) uses the Vendetta on hus compound bow all the time.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Have had both ---the thumb hole stock variety. Found the 225 lb too hard to cock for my twice cut back. I could get it done but wanted to shoot a lot more. In addition it was tougher on strings and had a harsher shot (more vibration). Went with the 200 lb Vortex, much easier to cock and only 15-20 fps difference. But the bow I shoot and hunt most often is the 175 lb Phoenix. Sweeeet trigger. Accurate to a fault and strings last longer. All three produced passthroughs, can't get any deader tha dead.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Max-4

Post by Max-4 »

Ok, thanks very much for all your responses. I think I am going to go with the Exocet 200, becuase I do wanna practice all summer with it and I wanna be able to shoot 30-40 arrows a day. I am confident the Exocet 200 will be able to knock down all the animals I am going to hunt here in Ontario, our ranges for hunting rarely exceed 20 yards let alone 30 yards. Thanks again
Joystyx

Post by Joystyx »

Hi Max-4,
I think the Exocet is more silent. Cocking either should not be a problem.
At 40-50 yards range, the speed difference between the bows is almost unnoticeable.
Both are equally accurate and if you take good care of your serving and grease it regularly, your strings will have a long lifespan.
2010 Exomax - Leupold VX-I - HHA Speed Dial
2008 Relayer Y25 #954 -VariZone - S5
A bunch of Firebolts
Shockwaves & Crimson Talons
Inter arma silent leges
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity