Question for the shed hunting experts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LondonDave

Question for the shed hunting experts

Post by LondonDave »

I was out for a walk with the dogs today doing a little shed hunting and found my first shed. Is this just the beginning, middle or end of the shedding season in SW Ontario? Where would the most likely place be to find the match for the shed I found?

Any other tips on where to look for sheds would be great. I looking in an area that is heavily populated with deer with lots of well used trails through approx 100 acres of bush surrounded by farm fields on all sides.

Thanks,

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Question for the shed hunting experts

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

LondonDave wrote:I was out for a walk with the dogs today doing a little shed hunting and found my first shed. Is this just the beginning, middle or end of the shedding season in SW Ontario? Where would the most likely place be to find the match for the shed I found?

Any other tips on where to look for sheds would be great. I looking in an area that is heavily populated with deer with lots of well used trails through approx 100 acres of bush surrounded by farm fields on all sides.

Thanks,

Dave

You got it all covered except, the more you find the more look, you also discover alot you didn't know before, good exercise. I'm no expert but glass the fields it's alittle quicker, have fun

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
roly

Post by roly »

I like to check fences were they cross, when they land
or stick their head in the fence the horns tend to fall.
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Roly has a very good point, I find alot at fence crossings too. Usually I will find (mule Deer) shed sets within 250 yards of each other. Last year we had a nice sized buck who had just lost one side. It was comical to see him trying to shake the other one off! :lol: He pushed on a few trees and knocked it off. Arround here we have to find them pretty fast after they fall off. wolves, yotes, and porcupines drag them off fast. The porkies will hide them up in trees to save them for later, mice will eat them tips off fast if there under the snow. The wife and I love shed hunting, with the ammount of snow we get here the season is quit long. :D
Roly: we call them antlers here! :shock: Cows have horns. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

The one I found was about 20 yards from a fence crossing. We did check around other crossing too but didn't find anything.

When do they actually start dropping them in this area...does anyone know? This one looked fairly fresh. Not sure why I say that but it does.

Thanks

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
roly

Post by roly »

bcmuledeer wrote: Roly: we call them antlers here! :shock: Cows have horns. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bad habit I have :oops:
I deal with them all the time and I always say I got to get them damn horns done :lol: :lol:

Antlers is correct, but I know lots of ppl like me :lol: :lol: :lol:
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

roly wrote:
bcmuledeer wrote: Roly: we call them antlers here! :shock: Cows have horns. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bad habit I have :oops:
I deal with them all the time and I always say I got to get them damn horns done :lol: :lol:

Antlers is correct, but I know lots of ppl like me :lol: :lol: :lol:
All the guys I black powder hunt with call them horns. I think it's just kind of slang thing. Easier to say then antlers.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope