Boo String Test!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

Re: Boo String Test!

Post by bob1961 »

looked at my claws and seen nothing as to any burrs....ran Que-tips over them trying to snag them and nothing....looked at the string i had on before i switched to don's new string and it looks good, i'm puzzled at this point myself.......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Bob, your arrows are 550 gr and mine are 355 gr. Do you think a heavier arrow might put more stress and wear on the serving? I'm thinking a heavier arrow would create more stress. Your thoughts??
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
I'd suggest checking the nocks on the arrows you were using. :wink:
I had a serving failure several years ago when I was testing monofilament serving.
Serving looked like new after dozens of shots, then suddenly the serving broke looking
much like your picture.
Re-served the string and had another failure within 10 shots.

Checked my arrows and found one had a "ding" on the flat nock from another arrow
hitting it. :roll:
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

good point mike, i'll look :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bob, it doesn't take much of anything sharp to cut a serving. It is under tension and virtually looking for a reason. Like Mike said a slight burr can make this happen.
When you are looking for imperfections on a latch you are best to use magic marker on the face of the latch and use a strip of paper and gently rub across. It doesn't take much.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i looked over my arrows nocks and they are still smooth since i polished them round, they are alum inserts also....i feel bad for don's test string and that i have no clue why this would happen all of a sudden....i have over 500 shots on don's trigger work and no other string has this going on i had been using up till i put the test string on....sorry don i have no answers at this time unless i open up my trigger but don't want to go that route yet....it does look like one side of something is sharp enough to cut the serving being the other side was still good looking.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

Boo wrote:When you are looking for imperfections on a latch you are best to use magic marker on the face of the latch and use a strip of paper and gently rub across. It doesn't take much.
that will tear the paper???....what does the marker bring up/out???....i'll try that, but need to know what to look for :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
Boo

Post by Boo »

bob1961 wrote:
Boo wrote:When you are looking for imperfections on a latch you are best to use magic marker on the face of the latch and use a strip of paper and gently rub across. It doesn't take much.
that will tear the paper???....what does the marker bring up/out???....i'll try that, but need to know what to look for :wink: .......bob

It won't tear the paper but after you run the paper over the latch the magic marker will show up on or around imperfection. Where do you see the imperfection? Can you take a picture?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

ok so any high spots will show up metal where the paper wore off marker on high spot/burr, got ya....will post up picture tommorrow :wink: ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I got another 50 shots in today . . .wish I had a little more time to finish it off.

Here is the picture at 275 . . .

Might get to 300 . . .maybe not. The right side of the rail is doing the most damage along with the right trigger claw. However, there is still no separation, which is a good thing. Wearing out the serving with no separation is the object of this game.

The chrony wasn't consistant today . . .may be weather related . . .anyway,
the speeds were 324,328,328,331,328,332,319,323,328,332, arrow weight was 410.5 grains.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day, you gotta give boo credit he does a great job on string making, l have one on my new bow 225 lb which l got 12 months ago maybe more the serving is tight & well done, l've got 4 on order all served with cat whiskers, dash & l caught up a few weeks ago whiskers do make a diffrence, l herd dash's bow with a boo string served with whiskers & it sounded real sweet ah. frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

My string did just like Bobs did and it was a stock string and i have had no trigger work done and i only got about 100-120 shots out of it on my Exomax
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I got another 34 shots in yesterday. Took too long salivating over DaGriz's knife yesterday evening to post the picture.

That makes a total of 309 shots. I'm going to stop the test. The serving has gotten torn to a point to where it slides all over the place(in the worn area only) when I try and wax it.

From the time I put it on the bow, I only put 7 twists in it to keep the brace height where I like it. I didn't have to adjust the brace height any the last 150 shots. I never turned the string. 309 shots is pretty good for a single serving on an Exomax.

If you look close in the picture you can see one small gap in the serving to where the string is actually showing. I could probably get a few more shots at the risk of damaging the string. Not really worth it since the test was to see if the serving would separate. It passed, the serving did not separate until the material was almost worn in two.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Scott, I'm a 100 shots behind you right now and everything still appears to be holding up regarding the serving.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

it seems that everyones serving is doing the same thing on just one side :?: ....i looked back at all the pictures and they look like the same pattern going on........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.