Boo String Test!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Re: Boo String Test!

Post by strum »

Boo wrote:
strum wrote:i shot another 25 today too (factory string) wheeew im no enormous :P cocking those bigole bows 25 times will make you whine.
so im up to 125 shots mine looks good but i dont see it holding out as long as the Boo test strings.
Boo..just so i understand..the boostring uses halo right..and the 452x is whats on the factory/excell strings Miller makes?
and the test serving is to possibly improve on which? I think i got my wires crossed on who uses what.

As a customer in waiting lol i think its great to see you always trying to improve..it realy lets us all know that when we get a product from you it will be the best you can give. not just good enough..thats makes it worth the drive..not realy i aint driving to canada :P worth the money i meant
Halo is the type of serving. Xcel or 452X (same formula only Brownell makes the prior and BCY makes the later) is what I use and the factory Dynaflight string is made from Dynaflight 97 which is made by BCY. The factory Excel string is made of B50 (Brownell) and is Dacron.
ok now im on page..i think.. i was thinking the serving was what you are testing..now i under stand the string material (astroflight)is the test..with halo serving ..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Normous

Post by Normous »

Comfy,
I'm getting an increase of 2 fps with your string compared to boo's test string. Your serving is 1" narrower and your string material has an overall narrower appearance , so, it must be lighter in weight to facilitate the slight speed increase. So far I have only 30-35 shots for break-in with yours and it appears new as well, I expected that. I tested it against the chrony the same day as boo's string.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

enormous wrote:Comfy,
I'm getting an increase of 2 fps with your string compared to boo's test string. Your serving is 1" narrower and your string material has an overall narrower appearance , so, it must be lighter in weight to facilitate the slight speed increase. So far I have only 30-35 shots for break-in with yours and it appears new as well, I expected that. I tested it against the chrony the same day as boo's string.
That's Interesting, since both Don and I used 28 strands of AstroFlight. The only difference in material used between the two strings, is the serving. I used Brownell Crossbow .030 serving as opposed to Don's Halo. The only explaination to the string appearing narrower/thinner would be perhaps due to my twisting the stands a tad tighter than Don. The increase of 2fps could be attributed to my 4" serving. However, how much difference in weight could 1" of serving actually make?
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Norm . . .put them on a scale and find out . . .

Comfy . . .think it might be eyesight? :lol:
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Normous

Post by Normous »

I am between scales at the moment and RCBS customer service is certainly not like Excalibur.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

enormous wrote:I am between scales at the moment and RCBS customer service is certainly not like Excalibur.

How about the length of the strings?

I wonder how good the QC is on the string thickness. Could be that the string Comfy used was thinner than the string Don used . . .different batches of string. I seriously doubt it's because one was made "tighter" than the other. Once the string is on the bow, it's 225# tight . . .as long as both are well made strings, the bow will even things out in the tightness catagory. . .at least that's my guess. I just don't see a 2 FPS difference there.

I doubt the whole 2 FPS could be in the 1" of serving . . .weight and wind resistance . . .might be all in the serving. Could be in the number of twists on the string sitting on the bow . . .or a combination of things.

Gold luck with figuring that one out Norm.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

This thread is turning out to be way more entertaining than I thought it would be. :D

The weight difference is an easy one, just make one of a variety of ways to determine whether one object is heavier than another, while it will not give you a difference in a numerical sense, it will tell you that a weight difference is present.
Here is one example.
Attachments
imagesCAJUCQ6Z.jpg
imagesCAJUCQ6Z.jpg (5.55 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Pydpiper wrote:This thread is turning out to be way more entertaining than I thought it would be. :D

The weight difference is an easy one, just make one of a variety of ways to determine whether one object is heavier than another, while it will not give you a difference in a numerical sense, it will tell you that a weight difference is present.
Here is one example.
Harvested your plants in them pots I see. Which was heavier, Columbian or Mexican? :shock: :lol: :lol: Image
Normous

Post by Normous »

sumner4991 wrote:Norm . . .put them on a scale and find out . . .

Comfy . . .think it might be eyesight? :lol:
Ok, I used an accurate scale and found boo's test string 6 grains lighter than Comfy's astroflight string. That would mean boo's string should be faster- all things being even, same arrow, chrono, temp, brace height, etc.
I'm certain that the extra 2 fps I got from Comfy's string was attributed to a slightly lower brace height and more string stroke. Now I remember that boo's test brace height was slightly higher, thus the 2 fps difference the way I see it.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I just finished 50 more shots. Serving looks about the same. Now sitting at 150 shots.

Here's the picture.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Wow what a paradox, my string is thinner, has a shorter serving, but weighs more and yet is faster. That defies logic.
Norm, I think after adjusting the brace heights equally, more testing is necessary.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
strum

Post by strum »

ComfyBear wrote:Wow what a paradox, my string is thinner, has a shorter serving, but weighs more and yet is faster. That defies logic.
Norm, I think after adjusting the brace heights equally, more testing is necessary.
how about puting both strings on at the same time to see if you double yer speed?
sorry guys i never wuz the sharpest crayon in the box
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

Scott, I hope you got a couple of STS bumpers for your birthday. If not let me know.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

cool thread so far , i bet the serving outlasts the bumpers on that sts :D
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective