Shed hunting and roadside finds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LondonDave

Shed hunting and roadside finds

Post by LondonDave »

I found my first shed yesterday (the 4 point) and my wife found her first today (the 5 point)...We're hooked!

The skull I found on the weekend while driving down one of the sideroads near our house. It's a road I drive fairly often but this guy must have been hiding under the snow. As I drove by I thought...hey that's a deer skull. I stopped and backed up and sure enough it was. The whole carcass was there (completely stripped). At first I thought why would someone dump a deer on the side of the road like this, skull and all and then it occurred to me that it was likely hit by a car and then got burried under the snow.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
bcmuledeer

Re: Shed hunting and roadside finds

Post by bcmuledeer »

Awesome find! :D It's easy to get hooked when you find treasures like that. The wife and I just got back from shed hunting, Not a one but we still have alot of snow here, hopefully it will get better. That skull is a rare find, way to go! :D
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Nice find!! I'll have to pay attention to those ditches next time I'm out.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Yeah man the more you find, the more you look, stick a fork in ya your done, I went today also, goose egg, good finds man have fun.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

That 8pt shed buck is going to look good this fall...

Nice finds!
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice find! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
zehrbrox

Post by zehrbrox »

good find, I just found one side of an 8 pointer at our property yesterday, about the size of the one you found. Last year I found one from a small 10 pointer. very cool. looking forward to going out next weekend hopefully all the snow is gone by then!!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

PA has a screwed up law where we need to contact the game comm when a road side road kill is found if it's a buck....we can keep the deer for the meat if it's cold enough and fresh with a free permit....but if we want to keep the skull with antlers we have to pay 10.00 bucks a point :shock: , but if we find a shed in the woods we can keep it and not pay 10.00 bucks a point :roll: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

bob1961 wrote:PA has a screwed up law where we need to contact the game comm when a road side road kill is found if it's a buck....we can keep the deer for the meat if it's cold enough and fresh with a free permit....but if we want to keep the skull with antlers we have to pay 10.00 bucks a point :shock: , but if we find a shed in the woods we can keep it and not pay 10.00 bucks a point :roll: .........bob

$10 a point!! :shock: That is a screwed up law!! :?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

We have a similar law but no $10 a point fee. The twisted logic behind this law is the state's fear that people are shooting bucks and leaving them lay, then going back much later and getting the rack. DUH! So now we have to call a CPO (conser. police officer) and get him to come out and give his okay to pick it up. How this law is supposed to stop people from doing what they are saying is going on is beyond me. :roll:

Your skull needs cleaned! Find one of those turkey roasters and get the pan that is inside. Buy some stuff called "Sal Soda". It is sold by Wasco...Wildlife Artist Supply Co. out of Georgia. 1-800-334-8012 and order 1 lb. of SS1. One cup in a gallon of water and bring to a boil and immerse the skull. (but not the antlers) The bad stuff can be easily removed after boiling. If you want it really white, after you clean it rinse it in some peroxide. Get a pint from you wife's hair dresser. Get the strongest stuff...it will be marked "40". Gary